Limited harddrive space / Libraries

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Limited harddrive space / Libraries

Postby kvhoof » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:04 pm

I’m thinking of getting the Total Studio Max 3.5 within a few days but had some questions on the libraries. It’s quite some gigabytes and my MacBook Air M1 hasn’t got that :( I do however got a 1 TB External SSD and was curious if that would do the job. Also very curious what the minimal footprint of the total package is, so with all sounds on the external SSD, what do I effectively need on my MacBook?
kvhoof

Re: Limited harddrive space / Libraries

Postby DarkStar » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:20 pm

The libraries will be several hundred GB. You can install them to the external SSd (check out the tips for the IK Product Manager in this forum https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26365)

The software will take several GB on your system disk.

If you need more precise info, another user may chip in, or Technical Support should be able to help.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby kvhoof » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:58 am

Thanks DarkStar for your reply. The libraries or extra data could be saved/run from an external SSD. I’m curious about how much “several gigabyte” is for the basic installation/needed files/without the additional data. Is several; 10,15, 20 or up OR could that also be installed on the external SSD. My MacBook Air has less then 200 gigabyte and together with some other software (sequencer etc) I currently end up with about 40 gigabyte left.
kvhoof

Postby - IK User - » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:55 pm

Another quick question about Total Studio 3.5 while on the topic. The version of Syntronik 2 that comes with it until the end of the year, is it the one with the 22 synths or the MAX version with all 33?

If the one with 22 synths, does that equate to basically the synths of Syntronik 1 Deluxe with some new presets?
- IK User -

Postby - IK User - » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:30 pm

Just to clarify, I think I discovered the answer to my question. It is not the MAX version. Good news if you do not already have Syntronik Deluxe, not very good news if you do considering you do not get the extra synths and all their presets in the MAX version and the upgrade will basically consists of getting what you already have barring possibly some new presets and the Syntronik 2 shell which you can already use the Deluxe synths and their presets in if you download the free CS version.

That is, if I gathered the correct information about the matter. If I am wrong, then feel free to enlighten with more information if so desire.

Anyway. Oh well, I was hoping it was the MAX version since I already have Syntronik Deluxe and already can use the synths with the CS version of Syntronik 2. Though on the bright side maybe after you own Syntronik 2, the upgrade to MAX is cheaper than it would be without it. But naturally the question for some who already own Synthronik Deluxe is will it be worth it to first purchase Syntronik 2 then upgrade to Syntronik 2 MAX later down the road considering they already own all the synths in it and can already use them and the Deluxe presets with Syntronik 2 by downloading the CS free version. Basically they will be paying mainly for more presets in such a case if I am understanding everything correctly.
- IK User -

Postby kvhoof » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:40 pm

On the site you can see which synths are included and it’s “only” the 22 so not the newer ones. The same with the new Mesaboogie add-on, thats also not included. Meanwhile I took the plunge and purchased the Total Studio set. It would have been nice though when the minimum HD space required for the products was mentioned, that is without additional sound library’s so f.e. only Sampletank in its basic form. Native Instruments does mention how much space is required and I couldn’t find the info on IK’s site.
kvhoof

Postby - IK User - » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:09 pm

According to my crossgade/upgrade offers, the prices to upgrade from Syntronik 2 and Syntronik 2 MAX are the same. Kind of makes no sense taking into account the dynamics I pointed out above. However we are talking getting the basic ST2 version in a bundle, so maybe if one did go that route the upgrade/crossgrade to ST2 MAX price may go down. Though not sure about that.

Anyway, yeah, I have quite a bit of IK's stuff too and it does take up quite a bit of space. I direct mine to a few external hard drives I use to save space on my internal ssd.
- IK User -

Postby kvhoof » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:51 am

Luckily I had enough space on my MacBook Air left but I find It sad that IK Multimedia couldn't give any answer when it comes to the size of the installation files before the purchase. It would be pretty handy to mention this in the description.
kvhoof

Return to General Discussions