ST4 MAX Upgrade Installation when ST3 is already installed?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Re: ST4 MAX Upgrade Installation when ST3 is already install

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:18 pm

The new ST4 content should be installed into its own location. If you already have ST3 installed, the MAX content like the Bozzio/Peart/Padgham/Parsons/etc libraries that cam with ST3 MAX will be installed into your ST3 directory. The defaults should reflect this and you shouldn't have to change anything in a default installation.

SampleTank 4 and SampleTank 3 are two completely different products (different standalone, different plugin, different library location for new ST4 content) with different engines. That is why the default locations are different for the SampleTank 4 new content and the SampleTank 3 content.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Nathan Shane » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:02 am

Peter_IK wrote:The new ST4 content should be installed into its own location. SampleTank 4 and SampleTank 3 are two completely different products (different standalone, different plugin, different library location for new ST4 content) with different engines. That is why the default locations are different for the SampleTank 4 new content and the SampleTank 3 content.

Q: When you say “That is why the default locations are different for the SampleTank 4 new content and the SampleTank 3 Content.” When/where are you seeing these separate default locations, a Mac OS X install or a Windows install? Also, are you referring to the installation of the downloaded files or the ST4 USB thumb drive?

The reason I ask this, is because I’ve now installed ST4 MAX in two different manners and both worked without issue. As I pointed out previously:

Method A:
Using ST4 MAX USB Thumb Drive, Windows 10 Pro, and a SampleTank 3 folder already existed on an external SSD. This already existing ST3 folder also contained additional content, such as Syntronik, Neil Peart Kit, Cobham Kit, Padgham Kit, etc. On the ST4 MAX USB thumb drive, there are two folders, one named SampleTank 3 and the other SampleTank 4. Within each of these folders are the content installation files. I ran the ST3 content installer on the thumb drive and selected my already existing ST3 folder as the default location. After that install, I then ran the ST4 content installer on the thumb drive and once again selected my already existing ST3 folder as the default location. When I ran the ST4 app for the first time, it scanned ONLY my already existing ST3 folder and all the content from the ST3/ST4 thumb drive installs was present. NOTE: at no point in the ST4 thumb drive content installation was a default directory named SampleTank 4 displayed or created. The ST4 thumb drive installation defaulted to my original SampleTank 3 folder/location.

Method B:
Using ST4 MAX USB Thumb Drive, Windows 10 Pro, and a clean SSD with no sample content. I ran the ST3 content installer on the thumb drive, it asked me what location I wanted to install to. I selected the clean SSD and created a folder named SampleTank 3 and all ST3 thumb drive content installed to that location. Then I ran the ST4 thumb drive content installer and selected the clean SSD again and created a separate folder named SampleTank 4. The ST4 thumb drive content installed into that folder without issue. Now...here’s where things can catch you off guard. When you first run the standalone version of ST4, the app only knows to scan the SampleTank 3 content folder on the SSD. So you’ll only see ST3 Instruments. But...there is an “ADD” button that allows you to select and add additional IK sample content locations/folders to the ST4 app. So I had to select the SampleTank 4 location/folder I had previously created and then press re-scan so that the content/instruments would show up in ST4.

Anyway, there may be more than one method of content installation that works overall, all content in one folder or ST3/ST4 in separate folders. I would agree with Peter that if you want to keep a neat, tidy and more logical installation, then keep the content in separate folders.
Nathan Shane

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:08 am

When you run the installer for the sound library, it will have a default location. For ST4 content it will be the ST4 default. If you already have ST3 installed, the ST3 MAX location will be the default for those (Bozzio/Peart/etc etc). It will all be done automatically by the installers.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Previous

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More