Sampletank4, how does it sound and perform?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Sampletank4, how does it sound and perform?

Postby bill4510 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:42 pm

How are the sounds and work flow once you have it installed.
Thought Maybe we can separate how it sounds from the support
issues in other threads.
Thanks, Bill
bill4510

Re: Sampletank4, how does it sound and perform?

Postby downtown.millard » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:41 am

Hey, it sounds great! tons of content, and very smooth and clear. Performance is another issue. Armed with the awesome power of the "4", I built a multi with 16 different instruments that I wanted to use in a project. I opened it in cubase and it immediately pegged the CPU. I could only keep about 6 of the instruments. And this wasn't recording or doing anything other than loading the multi. Even without recording or playback, it was keeping the CPU so busy that any attempt to play a sound resulted in a grotesque noise (well beyond clicks & pops). Once I trimmed it down to 6 instruments, it became useful, and as I have said, sounds beautiful

-Millard
downtown.millard

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 pm

downtown.millard wrote:Hey, it sounds great! tons of content, and very smooth and clear. Performance is another issue. Armed with the awesome power of the "4", I built a multi with 16 different instruments that I wanted to use in a project. I opened it in cubase and it immediately pegged the CPU. I could only keep about 6 of the instruments. And this wasn't recording or doing anything other than loading the multi. Even without recording or playback, it was keeping the CPU so busy that any attempt to play a sound resulted in a grotesque noise (well beyond clicks & pops). Once I trimmed it down to 6 instruments, it became useful, and as I have said, sounds beautiful

-Millard

This is not the normal/expected experience. Please report this to IK Support and they will get you up and running by figuring out what is causing this for you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:42 pm

bill4510 wrote:...Maybe we can separate how it sounds from the support
issues in other threads...

Please also review the forum rules (linked at the top of each page), specifically with regard to moderation, and the guidelines posted at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505 specifically with regard to posts where you've already opened a ticket with IK Support.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:41 pm

Speaking of the topic/question at hand, this is an example posted by a user elsewhere. Check out those guitars!!

Click here to hear the audio example
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Also note the text in the original post requesting information about:
How are the sounds and work flow once you have it installed.

Workflow could use a little information too, the sounds have been mentioned a few times (though it would be great to hear some more thoughts there, I've read some more detailed replies on other forums) but the workflow could also be interesting to hear about.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoy much of the Syntronik pedigree (workflow-wise) that has been brought into SampleTank 4 and the workflow of additional tools like the Strummer is outstanding.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dlgebert » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Also note the text in the original post requesting information about:
Personally, I thoroughly enjoy much of the Syntronik pedigree (workflow-wise) that has been brought into SampleTank 4 and the workflow of additional tools like the Strummer is outstanding.

Peter,

I agree about the Syntronik pedigree, it's a great interface and having Syntronik Deluxe, MP2 and all of the ST3 libraries under the same "engine" is very cool and searching is nice... if I want a tamboura drone , or a waterphone it's easy to find.

The sounds are mostly very good, I not super crazy about the drums, but the bass guitars are excellent (if I didn't have MODO Bass I'd use those a lot). The guitars, especially the acoustics sound really good, but...

I might be missing something, but I can't get any usable strumming from the strummer. Will there be a Jordan Rudess type video on that, because that will really make those new ST4 guitars very useful.

I have other guitar specific plugins where you press a key to pick a chord and strum with other keys, up, down, single strings, etc., and it's super easy. In ST4, I couldn't get any chords to play and I had to press the "play" button, but it seemed more like a sequencer than a strummer.

Not a deal breaker at all and surely I must be doing something wrong, but I got a lot of choppy notes and after a while the notes got louder and louder to the point where it was distorting bad enough that I had to kill the plugin.

With the great sounding guitars in ST4, an easy to use strummer would be nice. I can play guitar chords without a strummer on a piano keyboard, though it's not easy.

Thanks- Dave
dlgebert

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More