Amplitube - Core2duo

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube - Core2duo

Postby auggybendoggy2 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:57 pm

After trying it out, I was pleasantly surprised that my Dell XT2 (core2duo) can handle Amplitube.
Anyone seeking an affordable laptop might consider a used XT2 or XT3.

My only suggestion would be to use Windows 8. My XT2 touch doesn't work in W10. I believe it's the drivers.

Amplitube sounds so good and being able to use it on older touch laptops makes it even better.
auggybendoggy2

Re: Amplitube - Core2duo

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Nice suggestion! I also might add that I have had much better luck with Windows 7 than Windows 8 for general audio recording use (as I've seen similarly stated by others) and there is still over a year of extended support for Windows 7 so assume you may need to upgrade in just over a year from now if you use Windows 7 which in my experience is rock solid.

I do not have a lot of issues on Windows 10 either, to be honest, when using my Surface Pro 4 but that is not dedicated to audio recording tasks. Due to the latter part of that statement, it would also be unfair to give either a 100% thumbs up or 100% thumbs down to Windows 10 for audio recording as I don't have a fully-dedicated machine for audio recording using Windows 10 at the moment. Probably will in... just over a year when I upgrade my studio computer.

Hope this also helps.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby auggybendoggy2 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:12 pm

W8 seems to be working nicely. No problems thus far. The XT2 is a dual boot so ill I stall amp4 there as well and see what's the difference. The touch features if 8 are far better than 7 but who knows maybe 7 will work too.
auggybendoggy2

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:15 pm

auggybendoggy2 wrote:W8 seems to be working nicely. No problems thus far. The XT2 is a dual boot so ill I stall amp4 there as well and see what's the difference. The touch features if 8 are far better than 7 but who knows maybe 7 will work too.

Good point about touch features. Those are indeed quite nice in the Surface with Win 10 so I might consider a touchscreen for my future Win 10 update on the main studio machine :)
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby wliska » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Which brand / model audio interface are you using?
Mac Mini late 2012, Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 2.6 GHz, 16 GB memory
Apogee Duet FireWire, Presonus Firestudio Mobile
AT5 Version 5.3.0
Catalina 10.15.7
Line 6 FBV Shortboard MkII
wliska

Postby auggybendoggy2 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm using the irig 2 HD interface. No pops, clips. CPU goes to about 35-40% but that is no fx added.
auggybendoggy2

Postby wliska » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:16 pm

How is the latency? How low can you set the buffer?
Mac Mini late 2012, Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 2.6 GHz, 16 GB memory
Apogee Duet FireWire, Presonus Firestudio Mobile
AT5 Version 5.3.0
Catalina 10.15.7
Line 6 FBV Shortboard MkII
wliska

Postby auggybendoggy2 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:42 pm

Wilska,

For me it runs fine. With A4 buffer set to 512, and setting AISO4ALL to the same, I can't even tell there's latency. If it is I'm guessing it's from 2-6 ms.

I can't tell the difference at 128 or 64 set on the buffere except I do see some CPU increase.

I added in 3 stomps: Chorus, Delay and Compressor and the CPU hardly moved up at all.

Anyone interested, I think the i5 cpu's are more suitable, but from my own experience the Core2duo is able to manage A4 just fine.

IMO IK has done a fantastic job because i read that A3 was a bit CPU heavy. But if this old XT2 can handle it, then that tells me they did their job well.

Thank you IK for A4! Well done.
auggybendoggy2

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:18 am

Thanks for the kind words about IK. I use three Steinberg MR816 interfaces daisy chained in my main studio computer. I can track at either 32 of 64 buffer size typically. This setup gives me 24 analog inputs and outputs.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby auggybendoggy2 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Wow Peter, those MR816 are nice units. What is that, like 48 ins/outs?

Also Peter, do you notice latency delay with your MR's? with the Irig 2HD I don't feel any latency even at 512 buffer. I can run my Core2duo at 64 and I don't get any noise at all.

I'm assuming then that the Irig is doing a fine job with its ad/da conversion, which is why my CPU seems to be doing very little. Again, when I added FX to A4, my cpu went up like 3-5%, that is all.
auggybendoggy2

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:39 pm

It is 24 analog ins/outs. I don't notice latency at all with these units either.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling