Best way to get a little boost when soloing

AmpliTube 4, AmpliTube Custom Shop, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, Ampeg® SVX, Preset XChange, more for Mac/PC

Best way to get a little boost when soloing

Postby obispojoe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:36 am

I have a simple set up that I use live for a hobby band playing mostly classic rock tunes. I run my guitar into an irig HD2 -> laptop running amplitube 4 -> DI box which splits out to both a PA mixer and a personal stage monitor. I use a blueboard to change presets. Often when I play a lead, I'd like to add some boost to the signal so it cuts through the mix a little better. I'd rather not create a special amplitube preset to add this boost because I already have a lot of presets to get the the tones I want for each different song. So, my question is, how do you recommend to do this in a live situation? Would you add a simple physical boost pedal before the DI box? Would the new IKM z-tone buffer boost work as a replacement for the DI box and provide the boost as well the DI capability to the mixer and stage monitor? I appreciate any insights.
obispojoe

Re: Best way to get a little boost when soloing

Postby garfy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi obispojoe

By the looks of it, the the IKM Z-Tone will do the job you want, although if you're already happy with the tone of your setup it might be a sledgehammer to crack a nut. How about a straight volume pedal between the iRigHD2 and the DI box?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.13.6
Logic 10.4.8 Reason 8.3
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:33 pm

Z-TONE Buffer Boost is actually perfect for this and will allow you to use Z-TONE control on top of it as well as being the best thing to put first on your pedalboard.

We are adding a "Usage" subpage to our site for the Z-TONE line to show diagrams and explain how they work in live & recording situations.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby obispojoe » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm

Since the usage page is not up, would you give me an indication on how the z-tone buffer boost would fit into my setup? Currently, guitar -> irig HD 2 -> laptop back to irig -> DI Box then split to a PA mixer and a personal stage monitor of my guitar alone. I got rid of all my pedals a long time ago when I took an extended hiatus from playing. Wish I hadn't done that! Would the z-tone buffer boost replace the DI box and be able to split the signal to the PA and stage monitor, or would I still need the DI box after the z-tone buffer boost? That's one of the questions I cannot answer from the existing available information.
obispojoe

Postby leonardrock » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:12 pm

I am also curious about the ztone DI box capabilities!
leonardrock

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling