Official MODO DRUM Wish List!

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Re: Official MODO DRUM Wish List!

Postby jockelundberg » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:18 pm

Oh, I forgot a spectrum analyzer for the new EQ would be awesome.

I realized it´s possible to choose another drum under "edit element" but I still think a previous/next would be a good edition. Why not cymbals by the way? It´s not entirely consistent.

Come to think about it, why not make it possible to change the model under "edit element"?
jockelundberg

Re: Drum Mappings

Postby gabrielcor » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:30 pm

+1 !

GeldartM wrote:Would be great in the next release that you could chose the mappings ie midi groves that were written for Toontrack
i have loads of songs that the parts are written for superior drummer. and when i use Modo Drums not all the assignments are the same, would not a big thing from a drop down menu to choose the mapping

Thanks The sounds are great well done
gabrielcor

Re: Drum Mappings

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:18 pm

gabrielcor wrote:+1 !

GeldartM wrote:Would be great in the next release that you could chose the mappings ie midi groves that were written for Toontrack
i have loads of songs that the parts are written for superior drummer. and when i use Modo Drums not all the assignments are the same, would not a big thing from a drop down menu to choose the mapping

Thanks The sounds are great well done

MIDI mapping was recently added. You may want to check that and see if you are able to map to the way those other products map their MIDI messages.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby HeavyMetalSunday1983 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:35 pm

First off, I would like to say that I am enjoying my Modo Drums.

I am not a drummer, but play guitar, and my two wishes would be able to have samples of the bells for the other cymbals and the ability to remap the drums for easier use on my Presonus Atom.

Thank you!
HeavyMetalSunday1983

Postby eaglepass » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:47 am

Hello,

I am enjoying MODO drums but would like to request the following features:

-dual zone cymbals ( edge and bow samples )

-The ability to map polyphonic aftertouch midi events as sent by my Roland V-drum brain when a cymbal is choked to The midi note events MODO drum uses for choking cymbals.

This would really help fully utilize MODO drum when being played by V-drum!!

Thank you,

eaglepass
eaglepass

Postby DDemase1174 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:39 pm

I've been fascinated by the damping techniques used by Ringo Starr in Beatles recordings from around 1966-1970, where tea towels were draped over the tom-toms, blankets stuffed into the bass drum (or a four-necked sweatshirt made for promo photo shoots for the "Help!" movie) and a wallet placed on the snare drum head. I'm guessing similar techniques were used through the late-60's and 70's to produce that kind of "dead", muffled drum sound Ringo popularized. Maybe MODO Drum can offer those options in a future update?

I wanted to suggest customizable MIDI mapping/MIDI Learn for MIDI keyboard controllers as another option, but I'm guessing Peter_IK mentioned that it was already included? Or am I wrong?! I wasn't sure if it was a feature or not.
DDemase1174

Postby cick005 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:23 am

Considering that my main use case for software such as Modo Drum is playing e-drums, I'd be interested to see the ability to add more drums/instruments. My current set is larger to what seems available in Modo Drum and I'd like to add, for example, a 2nd snare and timbale or another tom on the left side.

I'm not referring only to new/different sounds but the ability to expand the kit. Actually, two more positions for drums (cymbals are enough) would be perfect.

Also, as already mentioned by others, it would be fantastic if any instrument could be selected, in that case. I have two drums on the left side and would like to be able to use snare, gong drum, timbale and such on those triggers.
cick005

Postby cick005 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:24 am

Let me also add more hi-hat control. So far I have not seen any detailed editing options for hi-hat, like adjusting the pedal levels between fully open and fully closed, +tight. For jazz, it is important to be able to set the foot pedal chick volume, too.
cick005

Postby Kodertian » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:36 pm

Definitely an Open Architecture for all the MIDI System inside Modo Drum: Mappings for better communication with outside Hardware (pads), MIDI Learn, it will also enable 3rd party developers to sell their Midi grooves.
Kodertian

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:28 pm

Kodertian wrote:Definitely an Open Architecture for all the MIDI System inside Modo Drum: Mappings for better communication with outside Hardware (pads), MIDI Learn, it will also enable 3rd party developers to sell their Midi grooves.

There are third parties offering MIDI grooves, and though it may still be the beta version but JamStix is working with MODO DRUM too. Custom MIDI Mapping and presets for e-kits were added to version 1.1 that was already released.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby DDemase1174 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:05 pm

OK, thanks for letting me know! I was thinking of purchasing MODO Drum with JamPoints when there was a crossgrade sale on MODO libraries recently and the price dropped down to $199, but I wanted to know if MODO Drum featured custom MIDI mapping before I made a decision. Unfortunately, it seems I missed the deadline on the sale and the price shot back up to $299,way out of my price range. I wasn't sure if that feature was available on MODO Drum or not; I didn't see it listed anywhere on the website (from what I could tell).
DDemase1174

Postby kaiolav » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:26 am

Brushes
kaiolav

Postby DDemase1174 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:01 am

Selecting between drumsticks, brushes, hotrods and hands for drum and cymbal hits

Selecting damping methods, including tea towels on snare/tom-toms, empty wallets placed on the snare and blankets placed inside bass drums

New drum kit models, including:

* Ludwig Hollywood five-piece kit
* Gretsch Broadkaster
* Gretsch "Round Badge" kit
* Slingerland Radio King drums
* Tama Starclassic
* Premier Olympic Drums
DDemase1174

Postby npeters0 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:36 am

Hello,
First I like the potential of the software:
My wishlist:
- Mapping for ATV ad5 Drum Modul
- Ride with Edge sound (or am I missing something, that I just saw Top and Bell)
- Add Top Sound to Crash Cymbals
- adjustment of HiHat Footcontroller

But maybe this is already possible and I was missing something. I just did the set up yesterday.
npeters0

Postby JWParenteau » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:52 am

Been using MODO drum for around a month, and I find it great right "out of the box".

Here are some suggestions to add to the wish list:

Larger Root Range And/Or Frequency Shifter
This was the first thing I looked at because I find it imperative to tune to the tonic. I'll admit I was a bit disappointed to find that I can only move between a range of around 5 different notes, and with no real notataion reference for the batter or resonant heads, it's guess work. A range of -10 to 10 to me is a "Volt" range.

I don't have the experience or research of working with real drums, or ever having to tune one (I thank the modern age and sampling technologies), but to my understanding pushing a drum around a whole octave might not be realistic.
With that said, I assume that changing the diameter and tension must allow for more than 5 notes.
I'll be grateful to hear from an experienced drummer of what the notes ranges of a real drum are.

To remedy this, I plan to bring a "Frequency Shifter" algorithm I developed out of SynthEdit as a stand alone effect.
If such an effect is to be planned for MODO Drum, I point out that the team makes sure to creates a "frequency shifter" and not a "Pitch Shifter", as a pitch shifter has adverse effects on a drum sound highlighted in this video:
YouTube|Warp Academy:How to Tune Your Drums with Frequency Shifter

As reluctant as I am to give away research, here is a link to research I referenced when building my frequency shifter:
csoundjournal.com:An Efficient, Precise Frequency Shifter
I more interested in making music than I am selling plug-ins. So, if this expedites IK's development process, I'm interested in helping get it integrated sooner.

Additionally, I used linear phase filters (FIR) for the low pass, but because MODO Drum is a live type performance instrument, it may be better to use minimal phase filters.

Modal Tuning Macros/Sub-preset Manager
I'm often dishearten by the plug-in market's offerings when it comes to drums. More often than not, developers and artists often overlook the fact that drums are a tuned instrument. With drums being the back bone of most compositions, it's frustrating to have to spend time dealing with the short comings of this oversight.

What I'm always wanting to see is a comprehensive tuning system for drum samplers/synths.
To my knowledge:
Low - The bass drum is the root
Low/Mid - Toms follow the scale
Mid/High - Snares are an octave higher than the root
High - All the brass (High-Hat and Cymbals) accent the scale (octaves higher)

Not too sure about the brass, again, I don't have experience with real drum kits.

I developed a drum synth to my expectations a couple years ago and made a public offering. Unfortunately, it was developed in SynthEdit 1.1; which doesn't have 64bit support and poor graphical efficiency for standard computers (no dedicated GPU computers).
Needless to say, it sold zero copies and was mostly ridiculed.
Here is a link to the achieved version, which I put here for archival and heritage purposes:
Archive.org:Drum Module VSTi

The "Modal Tuning" here had to be done by individual presets as SynthEdit doesn't natively support "Sub-Presets", I have since developed the ability to "Sub-Preset".
I digress, as the topic here is MODO Drum and not my developments and marketing.

Split Skip
I've been taught and learned to keep my low end "tight" to keep low frequencies from muddying up a mix, keep the low end from leaving the sub woofer channel, and keep db levels under control to leave room for the other frequencies.

For the most part to me, that means keeping low/sub frequencies mono.

During my mixing I often split my bass and bass drum by low to mid and high, generally where a sub woofers cut off ends 250-500hz. I first send them to 2 separate tracks and HP/LP the sends using FL Studio's "Fruity Convolver" which has linear phase EQing/filters (FIR) to keep things in phase.

From there I merge the stereo separation for the low end and then I'm free to apply any effects to the mid/high ends, without having to worry about adverse effects to the sub channel.

I am developing a concept that does this as effect insert, which I call "Split Skip". It essentially does the splitting and sending within the effect rack.
To exemplify, my bass instrument goes into Split Skip and then both the low end and high end have options to send to the proceeding insert positions.
The idea is to send the high end to the immediately next position and apply a high end effect and the bass is send further down to avoid this adverse effect; they then merge together on the way out of the rack.

I keep the send numbers variable to allow for more than one effect to be applied the immediately next position, effect just the low end, or for swapping to experiment.

I imagine this may be difficult for MODO Drum to integrate because it's uncommon to have sends directly inside a effect rack.

Again, I use FIR filters, which aren't good for live performances.

Better Low Pass with The Possibility of A Resonance Control
Rap (Rhythm and Poetry) is my main genre, for many reasons; I'm not about to go into detail why.

A signature staple for Rap to me is a big round bass drum, which is often achieved by low passing. The resonance filter is also handy for adding more "juice" the remaining mids.

You can imagine my disappointment to see the EQ's LP only goes as low as 3khz and hos no resonance filter.

Output DAW 1/2
To be honest, I have no experience with overheads or micing a live drumkit, nor do I usually mix a complete drum bus.

I prefer to send each "hit" into it's own channel and process from there.

Seeing that there is no DAW 1/2 output is strange to me, and "Master" doesn't work like 1/2.
It's trivial and easily worked around, just felt like mentioning it.

I hope these possibilities don't fall on deaf ears, as it took me a couple hours to write this. I'm also publicly outlining my R&D and mixing techniques.

I like MODO Drum as is, and I extend my gratitude to IK for giving sweet deals and making it within my budget.

Best regards.
HP Pavilion dk-0x|256 GB M.2|1TB SSD|1660 Ti|16GB RAM
FL 20|Tracktion Waveform 11|Cubase Pro 10
JWParenteau

PreviousNext

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS