Hammond B-3X for iPad now available

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Re: Hammond B-3X for iPad now available

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:36 pm

Hammond B-3X is much more modeling than samples so it will require more resources, especially running as AuV3 as mentioned on its Specs page.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby stokkan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:27 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Hammond B-3X is much more modeling than samples so it will require more resources, especially running as AuV3 as mentioned on its Specs page.

Makes sense considering the quality and realism... Think I might consider upgrading my iPad pro to the latest with 4gb ram... I definitely would like to use B-3X on gigs with other audio apps.

Btw... any plans of adding a cc for leslie volume? Would very useful to balance leslie gain with the leslie volume :)
stokkan

Postby richardhaley » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:25 am

Hi, has anyone managed to map a hammond xb-1 to this app. I can get the drawbars working, but no switches. IK - any plans to add other hammond keyboards to the midi maps?
Thanks
richardhaley

Postby hammondeggs » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:40 am

Hi there!

After trying out the PC demo, really enjoyed the sound - blows my old Vr700 out of the water!

So I got the iPad version figuring I could play this live, and am using an iPad mini 2 with the camera connection kit for USB midi.

What I’m noticing... is when anything is animating it’s dropping samples. It’s being used standalone, and using the 1/8” headphone connector for audio.

Is there any way to disable the Leslie animation? I’ve played with the buffer settings etc, and sure, with a large buffer size it’s better, but I mean it’s not realistically playable with that sort of lag.

Or any other suggestions? It does appear to be able to do this, I’ll admit it would likely fare better on a newer iPad - I just didn’t want to end up spending a ton of dough on a newer “relatively” fragile iPad as I’d be gigging it etc.

Thank you!

Thank you!
hammondeggs

Postby lightbg » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:56 am

FWIW, I couldn't get it to function on my mini 2 at all. It runs fairly decently on my mini 4, and screams on my mini 5.
Check Apple' s site for their used models, you could catch a decent bargain. Since you already bought the app you may as well get the chance to enjoy it, but I think stepping up to something newer is your best chance for success.

Jake
lightbg

Postby hammondeggs » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:29 am

I think I’ll give the iPad mini 4 a go. Really it’d only ever be used for this app, and don’t want to go too crazy with the dough! Mind you I did spend almost 1K on a VK8-m 18 or so years ago so....

Anyways thanks!
hammondeggs

Postby SBRUSA » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:10 pm

lightbg wrote:FWIW, I couldn't get it to function on my mini 2 at all. It runs fairly decently on my mini 4, and screams on my mini 5.
Check Apple' s site for their used models, you could catch a decent bargain. Since you already bought the app you may as well get the chance to enjoy it, but I think stepping up to something newer is your best chance for success.

Jake

The Hammond B-3X works fine on a refurbished iPad Air 2 I got on Amazon for less than $200.
SBRUSA

Postby stewfromnj » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:37 pm

SBRUSA wrote:The Hammond B-3X works fine on a refurbished iPad Air 2 I got on Amazon for less than $200.

Just to add for those looking at the used models and FWIW... I can't recommend it on a Air first gen from my experience. Ultimately I caved and bought a mini 5.
stewfromnj

Postby stewfromnj » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:04 am

For those interested, I posted an extended summary regarding B-3x on the "The Keyboard Corner" forum on musicplayer dot com

Under the "Hammond B-3X for IPad" thread title, I posted a reply headed with..

"Additional thoughts/feelings on the B-3X for iOS".
stewfromnj

Postby lightbg » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:25 am

stewfromnj,

Nicely put! I just read your post over at KC and it's informative, logical, and states your history quite well. I think you will gain confidence quickly with the mini 5, it is very stable and runs well. I would have had a chance to do my 2nd gig with it tonight, but Northern NJ got clobbered with ice and the venue called us off about 2 hours before show time. Figures.......

I can't justify a $600.00+ controller keyboard just for this app since I don't get as many organ calls as I used to, but I've managed to get my rig functioning well enough to take a B-3 gig knowing that I can deliver the goods. These are great times.

If you need to get your tonewheel rocks off next time you're up my way PM me.......or maybe not. Once you feel the thunder of a pair of 122's moving air you might not think so highly of B3X!

(jk - it truly is the best sim available today)

Jake
lightbg

Postby stewfromnj » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:03 am

Hey Jake... sorry to hear the cancellation on your gig, that's always frustrating. The shore got spared and only got rain luckily.

Thanks so much for the kind words. Yeah... I see that the summary sparked some discussion on the KC forum. One that I saw was a point made on making the organ "scream".

One of things that I really appreciate in IK's approach in developing B-3x was the clear "hat-tip" to different genres. I feel that IK made a concerted effort to address the genres that use the tone wheel sound from gospel, to jazz, to pop and rock.

I was able to get vastly different tones by varying the leslie amp vs the leslie cab choice, even putting a guitar amp through a leslie cab, which I thought actually sounded better than a guitar amp going through a guitar cab! But I'm a rocker, so I like that kind of thing! Or course, B-3x makes that possible.

I can only imagine the 122s in person, the stereo imaging must be so different! ...May have to take you up on your suggestion Jake!
stewfromnj

Postby SBRUSA » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:41 pm

I've been testing the B-3X iPad app for a few days now and while it seems to work fairly well if used on its own, I'm experiencing problems when it's being controlled by KeyStage (MainStage-like app for IOS).
Since the B-3X app doesn't advertise its MIDI connection as most other sound modules do, you have to create a virtual MIDI port inside KeyStage and let B-3X connect to that. This works flawlessly in other sound modules but fails after a brief period with the B-3X. I've opened a case with support but thought I'd mention the issue here for any of you contemplating using it in a controlling environment with other modules.
SBRUSA

Postby stewfromnj » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up and appreciate that you're pushing the bounds for live use.

I saw in a recent video that when using in Garageband on Mac (not iOS), someone set the midi ch to 14.

Not sure if that is useful. I'm using the app in a much more simple manner with AUM mixer.

Paging Peter from IK.....
stewfromnj

Postby stewfromnj » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:44 am

FYI I added a request for a panic button in the B-3x Wish List thread found at...

Home ‹ Computer Products ‹ Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More ‹ Split from: Official Hammond B-3X Wish List!

Seems to be a popular request :)
stewfromnj

Postby SBRUSA » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:22 pm

stewfromnj wrote:Thanks for the heads up and appreciate that you're pushing the bounds for live use.

I saw in a recent video that when using in Garageband on Mac (not iOS), someone set the midi ch to 14.

Not sure if that is useful. I'm using the app in a much more simple manner with AUM mixer.

Paging Peter from IK.....

Yeah it works pretty good when run by itself and not competing for resources with other IOS sound source apps. Once it has to compete, it hangs, crashes and generally causes all the apps audio problems. The iPad has to be rebooted to clear out the mess.

In this regard i wouldn't use it for live stage play until the devs fix all the resource issues. Just my experience...YMMV.
SBRUSA

PreviousNext

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories