EQP-1A - Frequency Select knob[Resolved]

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

EQP-1A - Frequency Select knob[Resolved]

Postby jggrant » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi folks, can anyone show/explain how to turn the frequency select knobs on the EQP-1A eq plug? The boost/atten knobs are fine, I can grab them with the mouse and turn them, but the frequency select knobs and the atten select knob - I just can't seem to grab them anyway that makes any difference. Is there a trick to grabbing these "knobs"? The info says v5.2.1, 64-bit, I'm running Cubase on Windows.

I just checked Sampletank 4, and the EQP-1A effect there is exactly the same - frequency select and HF atten select, I just can't "grab" them to make any changes. What's the go?

John.
jggrant

Re: EQP-1A - Frequency Select knob

Postby dlgebert » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:35 pm

You should be able to edit all parameters. Here's from the manual:

Code: Select all
4.2 - Tube Program Equalizer model EQP-1A

This processor is based on what is universally regarded as one of the best and most musical program EQs ever made, the Pultec® EQP-1A. Extremely accurate modeling of two real world units known to have “the sound” with sonic performance that is indistinguishable from the originals. Stereo or MS operation.

Controls:

•    LOW FREQUENCY: sets the frequency intervention point for the low shelving boost and atten filters: 20, 30, 60 or 100 Hz. Please note that because the Pultec’s original circuit was based on a passive equalization network the boost and atten filters will not cover the same frequency span and will not cancel one each other if set identically.
•    LOW FREQUENCY BOOST: applies a low frequencies boost with a shelving shape on the selected frequency range. Set it to 0 for no boost, 10 for max boost.
•    LOW FREQUENCY ATTEN: applies a low frequencies attenuation with a shelving shape on the selected frequency range. Set it to 0 for no attenuation, 10 for max attenuation.
•    BANDWIDTH: widens (clockwise position) or narrows (counterclockwise position) the range of frequencies covered by the high frequency bell curve. This control does not affect the sound of the low frequency filter nor the one of the high frequency attenuation.
•    HIGH FREQUENCY: sets the center frequency of the high frequency bell boost filter: 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12, 16 kHz. (The high frequency boost and attenuation filter have independent frequency settings).
•    HIGH FREQUENCY BOOST: applies high frequency boost with a bell shape, centered on the selected frequency. Set it to 0 for no boost, 10 for max boost.
•    HIGH FREQUENCY ATTEN: attenuate high frequencies with a shelving shape starting from the selected value on ATTEN SEL. Set it to 0 for no attenuation, 10 for max attenuation.
•   ATTEN SEL: sets the frequency intervention point for the high frequency attenuation filter: 5, 10 or 20 kHz.
•    OUTPUT: sets the global equalizer gain, from -15 to + 15 dB.
•    ON/OFF: completely bypasses the unit when on the OFF position.
•    RESET: resets the equalizer to its initial, flat, state.
•    L=R: linked channels mode. Set it this way when you want to control both left and right channels at the same time, by applying the exact same equalization to them.
•    L/R: click on L or R icons when you want to tweak the equalization independently on the Left or Right channels.
•    RESET: resets the equalizer to its initial, flat, state.
•    L=R: linked channels mode. Set it this way when you want to control both left and right channels at the same time, by applying the exact same equalization to them.
•    L/R: click on L or R icons when you want to tweak the equalization independently on the Left or Right channels.
•    M/S: this option uses a Mid-Side matrix to insert the equalizers on your processing chain. This means that you will be able to equalize independently the Center or the Sides of your stereo program. The L and R icons will be replaced by M and S when in this mode. Click on M to equalize the Center (Mid) of your stereo image, or on S to equalize the Sides.

Are the knobs greyed out for you?

Dave
dlgebert

Postby jggrant » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:10 am

Thanks Dave. The knobs are not greyed out. Once in about 10 or 12 tries, I've been able to "grab" the high frequency selector and change it. Next time, I just can't seem to do it. And the low frequency selector and the atten select switches seem impossible to find the sweet spot that enable them to be changed.
jggrant

Postby dlgebert » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:29 am

Have you tried the standalone version to see if it has the same issue as the plugin in Cubase?

Dave
dlgebert

Postby jggrant » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:51 am

Just tried it, it's exactly the same. I can manage to grab the hi-frequency eventually, with difficulty, but the lo frequency switch and atten select switch completely allude me. I've tried starting up/down movement from all over the knob and even outside it, nothing seems to work. :-(
jggrant

Postby dlgebert » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:17 am

I'll try it a little later tonight when and post a short video of what I find.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby dlgebert » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:19 am

dlgebert wrote:I'll try it a little later tonight when and post a short video of what I find.

I was able to use the plugin and move all of the knobs in Studio One 4.6 on macOS Catalina. Below is the short video.

Dave

Temporary video has removed since it has been reviewed by the thread creator. -DLG
Last edited by dlgebert on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlgebert

Postby jggrant » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:18 am

Mmmm, thanks for that, Dave. So, what could be causing an issue with Win7Pro, or Cubase, or something else.....?

John.
jggrant

Postby dlgebert » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:42 am

jggrant wrote:So, what could be causing an issue with Win7Pro, or Cubase, or something else.....?

At this point, the only thing I can suggest is raising a ticket with support... that's what the moderators would be suggesting... :mrgreen:

The fact that it happens in T-RackS and SampleTank 4 makes me believe there's a common data file or something that might be messed up... Does this happen with any other modules? That might help support zero in on the issue.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby garfy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:57 pm

Hi jggrant.

As Dave suggested, opening a ticket with official IK support will be the best way to get any system specific problems resolved. This can be done here: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/

However, one thing to check: The EQP-1A "stepped" controls, such as the frequency select knob can be a bit twitchy if you try to move them in a circle with the pointer. They react best if you just move your mouse/track pad up and down to increase/decrease the parameter.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:07 pm

I'd also suggest that anybody using Window 7 upgrades soon as the true end of life - including cessation of security updates - is in less than a week.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jggrant » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:45 am

garfy said: "They react best if you just move your mouse/track pad up and down to increase/decrease the parameter."

This was the answer. Although, I was not trying to move the mouse in a circular way, I thought I was going straight up or down. But I found that if I concentrate on making sure that I go directly "due north or south", and not even on a very slight angle, then I can in fact change all the switches. So thanks, garfy, for encouraging this.

However, it seems that, for me at least, changing knob-based switches is much harder than regular knobs. I'm not sure why this would be so, and would like to point this out to the developers. Perhaps there's something they can do (or stop doing) in the future, to make these switch-based knobs as easy to change as the others...?

John.
jggrant

Re: EQP-1A - Frequency Select knob [Resolved]

Postby garfy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:11 am

jggrant wrote:This was the answer

Great stuff. Glad we found you an answer.

The 'feel' is a little weird compared to the smoother operation of the virtual pots, but it's the same as on the EQ-432 or, in fact, any of the knob-based switches on the IK interfaces. Perhaps it is to simulate the physical resistance of a real switch, or maybe it is just down to how elements have to be coded in software.

As a suggestion, you should add your request into the official T-RackS wish list thread here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19888

As this thread has been resolved for the user it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.

• If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
• If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic. Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox