Problem with MODO BASS

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Problem with MODO BASS

Postby Josher » Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 am

I have a very strange problem when using Modo Bass. It turns out that when I import a midi file into my Daw or when I play directly from my keyboard to create bass with Modo Bass, the program has some errors, it does not play all the notes correctly, sometimes it plays notes in unison that it should not, or it just keeps playing a note and skips some of the following no matter which model I use, I have tried all the settings, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times... this problem creates me difficulties because with these errors I can not get adequate bass tracks. The same thing happens to me either using Fl Studio or Ableton Live. I would appreciate a little help to solve this problem or if someone has had the same problem and has been able to solve i would appreciate some feedback...thanks
Josher

Re: Problem with MODO BASS

Postby DarkStar » Thu May 09, 2019 9:35 am

Hello Josher and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are running into.

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is raise a Support Ticket, here:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
for some one to one help (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally). It will be especially useful if you can upload a small MIDI file that causes the problem.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby mikegavranovic@gmail.com » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:54 am

i have the exact same problem, wich makes the plugin useless to me. Did you ever find any solution to this?
mikegavranovic@gmail.com

Postby DarkStar » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:50 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Josher has not posted since then. I suggest that you contact Support on the link above.

-------------------
PS: it would be best to change your Account Name away from an email address, to minimise the chance of it being harvested by web bots and you receiving all sorts of 'special offers' etc from all over the place for years and years. You can change it here:.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby mikegavranovic@gmail.com » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:51 pm

Hello and thank you.

I already did that.
mikegavranovic@gmail.com

Postby pjmathers » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:53 am

I have been having the same problem since I got it back in 2016. I created a support ticket and no one has been able to solve the problem. Anyone get a solution to this? IK Multimedia hasn't solved this in three years?
pjmathers

Postby dlgebert » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:41 am

I had some issues with it when it first came out when I used Cakewalk Sonar on Windows. It's been rock solid for me since the 1.5 release, but by then I was on a Mac using Studio One.

For some reason, with the first version I could only get the left channel to work using Sonar and I had issues with skipping notes, etc. When I got an iMac and was using Reaper for a while, both channels worked ok, but the skipping notes was still an issue. I stopped using it and kept using a plugin that rhymes with billion...

When version 1.5 came out and I was using Studio One, I tried using it again and I've had no issues with it since. I ditched the other plugin... :D

I'm surprised to hear that some are still seeing that issue...

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:29 pm

pjmathers wrote:I have been having the same problem since I got it back in 2016. I created a support ticket and no one has been able to solve the problem. Anyone get a solution to this? IK Multimedia hasn't solved this in three years?

I am sure support is willing to work with you until the issue is fixed. Please reply to your ticket(s) if their suggestions haven't worked and they'll keep helping. Also, please see this post about guidelines for posting and what information to provide while you have tickets open and about support in this forum (it isn't a tech support forum): viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505 Thanks!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby heathweber » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:47 pm

I don't know if you've resolved this issue yet, but I just had success in resolving a similar issue where at certain points in my MIDI parts, MODO Bass would play all notes in the part as an open string note. In other words, if MODO Bass would normally play the notes on the "A" string, then is would play all of the notes as open A rather than the actual fretted note. In some cases it would skip notes, also. The issue turned out to be errant slide data (pitch bend) that was impacting subsequent MIDI parts. I had a MIDI part in the track that had some slides in it (created using pitch wheel controller data), and the part immediately after that part was then having the open string note issue. The solution was to edit the MIDI part after the part that had the slides and explicitly add pitch wheel controller data with a value of 0 at the start of the part. After doing this, the part played correctly.

My reasoning for this is that my slides in the previous part were down slides. As MODO Bass considered the last slide in this part to be unresolved (i.e. it didn't return to a 0 value after the slide), MODO Bass stayed in this tuned down position when the subsequent part started. In this state, it viewed the MIDI notes as being below the lowest note that can be played on the given string. When this happens, MODO Bass just plays the lowest notes it can (the open string). MODO Bass will not allow a note to be played on a string that is lower than the open string (which is actually quite realistic).

So, the short answer is make sure that you always return you pitch wheel controller value to 0 after doing any slides.
heathweber

Postby pratiketc » Fri May 01, 2020 1:48 pm

Hi guys. Does any one have any solution with Modo Bass skipping notes? I'm using Jam Origin Midi Bass as a controller for Modo Bass, and while the log indicates channel 1 output going into Modo Bass, many notes are just not being played.

I'm using Reaper and the simple set up is

Bass guitar => Jam Origin Midi Bass => Modo Bass

Or optionally
Bass guitar => Jam Origin Midi Bass => ReaControlMidi (for the log) => Modo Bass

But most notes are not sounding on Modo Bass.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug?
pratiketc

Postby heathweber » Fri May 01, 2020 2:06 pm

Make sure of the following:

- Make sure that the notes you are playing are within the range of the bass

- Make sure that if you are using the pitch wheel controller, such as for slides, that you are returning the pitch wheel MIDI value to "0" after the slide. Otherwise any subsequent notes could potentially be out of the range of the bass, or out of the range of the string if you are forcing to a specific string.

When I was having these types of issues, it was usually due to one of the above. The issue I was specifically having was that notes would always play as the lowest note on a string (i.e. the open note), even if I played or programmed notes at high frets on the string. The issue was that the previous MIDI part contained some downward slides using the pitch wheel controller, so all of the notes in the next MIDI part were sounding as the open string, because the pitch was shifted below the open string note due to the pitch wheel control value. To resolve, I just put a pitch wheel control event at the beginning of the next MIDI part to return the value to "0".
heathweber

Postby pratiketc » Mon May 04, 2020 5:41 am

Thanks, heathweber. I'll work on your inputs and check this out.
pratiketc

Postby Tainoshin » Fri May 08, 2020 9:21 am

Just bought Modobass about a few weeks ago and already facing this ignoring Midi notes issue. I sent an email to the helpdesk(twice) and so far no reply...

Finally, not really clear solution here yet ?
Tainoshin

Postby dlgebert » Fri May 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Tainoshin wrote: already facing this ignoring Midi notes issue.

From my experience using MODO Bass since it was released, it seems dependant on the DAW you're using. Version 1.0 inside of Cakewalk Sonar (way before they went bankrupt), was unusable for me and Reaper was better with it, but notes were getting skipped. Since version 1.5 and using Studio One, I no longer have any issues.

Are you using it inside DAW, or standalone? If inside a DAW, Is it missing notes when rendering to audio, or while playing in realtime?

If it's missing notes during render to audio, using realtime rendering will usually work ok, but it renders at 1x speed.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Tainoshin » Tue May 12, 2020 5:23 am

Dlgebert, Thanks for your advice.

it seems dependant on the DAW you're using

I use Modo in FL studio 20, not using it as standalone.

I've checked if Modo can play as I recorded after rendering.
And actually it can play well..

It seems only when I play it inside of DAW, it doesn't play in a normal way.

Tai
Tainoshin

Next

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS