Hammond B-3X for iPad now available

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Hammond B-3X for iPad now available

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Learn more at http://www.hammondb3x.com/ipad or buy it on the Apple App Store now

This new app maintains all the realism, detail and features found in the Mac/PC version, which was created in close collaboration with Hammond USA and Suzuki Music Corp. of Japan, but now available on an even more portable device, making it ideal for a streamlined live performance or travel recording rig.

https://youtu.be/dGp5AvrJp9s

Hammond B-3X for iPad meticulously recreates the sound, controls and entire effects signal path of the legendary Hammond® B-3. This comprehensive approach offers a level of realism and detail that will satisfy the most discriminating B-3 fans while also offering an affordable introduction to the unique world of tonewheel organs that can be enjoyed by all levels of players.

https://youtu.be/eUgjDqQ8-jY

The new app is ideal for performing musicians looking for a simplified stage rig, letting them run Hammond B-3X on an iPad instead of a dedicated laptop, with full compatibility for MIDI controllers and Hammond digital organs. Hammond B-3X for iPad also supports the latest AudioUnits format, allowing it be used as a plug-in in many of today’s most popular recording apps, for an ultra-portable travel studio that delivers world-class realism and features.

Learn more at http://www.hammondb3x.com/ipad or buy it on the Apple App Store now
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Re: Hammond B-3X for iPad now available

Postby lightbg » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:14 am

You guys are the best. I put B3X up against my 52 year old B3 and two 122’s and I’m sold.
Take a look:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g03hZ1yZjvA

Very impressive.

Jake
lightbg

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:07 pm

lightbg wrote:You guys are the best. I put B3X up against my 52 year old B3 and two 122’s and I’m sold.
Take a look:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g03hZ1yZjvA

Very impressive.

Jake

Wow thank you for the kind words and the great video! I've sent it to the team that made Hammond B-3X so they can enjoy the compliments and see the comparison.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby kevinpmajka » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:34 pm

Are there Any plans of a new controller with waterfall keys? I don't have a clonewheel budget. I can buy an ipad app and a controller that has good controls for the app though. I'd even consider getting a second one for a second manual.

I think this could get more people playing organ in a modern age where they don't have the space available for it.

I know that this is a niche market, but I hate playing organ on synth or weighted keys.
kevinpmajka

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:46 pm

kevinpmajka wrote:Are there Any plans of a new controller with waterfall keys? I don't have a clonewheel budget. I can buy an ipad app and a controller that has good controls for the app though. I'd even consider getting a second one for a second manual.

I think this could get more people playing organ in a modern age where they don't have the space available for it.

I know that this is a niche market, but I hate playing organ on synth or weighted keys.

I don't have any information about one specifically from IK but we built in the support for the Hammond controllers which are the best waterfall key controllers for Hammond B-3X
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby kevinpmajka » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:54 pm

I picked it up on the 24th. I'm not a hammond trained guy, so I just really like plunking around. I didn't compare it to Galileo or any other organ apps. It is head and shoulders better than Garageband though on my ipad.

I just wish I had knobs to control more with my keybaord. (Stage piano). I was easily able to assign the sustain pedal to the Leslie speed.

Not a fan of laptops on stage, etc - so the ipad version made sense for me. It sounds great.
kevinpmajka

Postby lightbg » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:07 pm

The depth of this app is amazing! Now that I've had a few days to get into the settings I had to do another video. 1971 tonewheel set, 122 cabinet and amp, a touch of EQ from the stompboxes, and direct to camera audio. I also now use a USB powered hub to prevent the iPad from draining.

Unreal, guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPI8d4pT52E

Jake
lightbg

Postby kevinpmajka » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Does the hub power the Ipad through the camera kit? Neat. [mod edit - please review the forum rules]
kevinpmajka

Postby lightbg » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:34 pm

kevinpmajka wrote:Does the hub power the Ipad through the camera kit? Neat..

I'm finding that it doesn't actually positively charge the iPad, but it does give much more time before the inevitable total drain. I'm glued to this app so I could understand the power drain.

Jake
lightbg

Postby stewfromnj » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:29 am

Issue with audio on Ipad Air (1st gen) ios 12.4

I sent a support ticket in regards to this. The problem that I am having is that after 10-15 minutes of playing, the audio cracks severely. This happens not only when the ipad sends USB audio via Lightning Camera Connection adapter, I can also replicate the cracking by playing the app's keyboard on the ipad itself for 10-15 minutes with output via the ipad internal speaker and headphone jack without any USB or midi connection. I also dialed up the buffer to 512 and higher without success.

I will wait for IK's support response to comment further, but for those with older ipads, this could be an issue. Note that the Ipad Air is one of the first 64 bit ipads.
stewfromnj

Postby tombitondo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:26 pm

I’m getting the same exact thing. After 10 or 15 minutes I get severe cracks and pops as well. Use an iPad air2. Latest OS.

The app is not usable for professional situations. I really was counting on a mobile solution for Hammond Organ sounds, and it was very expensive.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tombitondo

Postby lightbg » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:06 am

Regarding the pops and crackles, an experience I can now relate to.

I don't have a set time for this anomaly to occur: sometimes I'll get it after 10 seconds or so of playing, sometimes it won't happen during a 90 minute session, but I think it might be occurring because of all the volume balance features that are built in. The first time I heard it I honestly thought it was a bad audio wire from the iPad to my amp, but I've changed that cable out with a known good one and still experience it. What I'm finding is between the Leslie volume, Leslie gain, Expression pedal input, master volume slider on my keyboard controller and the iPad volume there's a lot of interaction going on, and that's besides the usual iPad volume into mixer input issues that exist with every piece of software/hardware. Throw in the stomp box EQ, and there's probably something in that chain overdriving something else. At times I'll even get it to pulse with the chorale setting on the Leslie . After I get the noise I change a setting (usually the expression level) and that eliminates the noise - sometimes for the rest of the session, sometimes for about a minute. I can't say I can consistantly create the variables that these noises occur.
I'm still amazed at this app, but if we can track down and eliminate this bug ( or if it isn't a bug, maybe some suggested settings) this will make a lot of people very happy.

Jake
lightbg

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:37 pm

IK Support would be the ones who will resolve the above issues, please open a ticket with them and they will troubleshoot with you and help directly via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby stewfromnj » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:53 am

tombitondo (Tom) and lightbg (Jake), thanks for you perspectives!

Peter_IK, my ticket has been submitted over the weekend, so I am awaiting word on the IK support response for my issue (and Tom's to similar extent) before commenting further on it.

If the app can deliver what is touted, I could be inclined to upgrade my ipad to a more modern device (apps can transfer from one ipad to another via itunes on PC or icloud backup). I would be interested on the outcome of Jake's issue since according to his video, he is using a newer ipad and is now mentioning getting some issues. I wonder if dialing the buffer up to 256 may make that go away. The tradeoff of some latency to maybe eliminating the pop artifacts could be worth it.

Stew
stewfromnj

Postby kevinpmajka » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:51 am

We may be in for a bit of a wait. Give these folks a chance to work it out for the betterment of everyone. If it's like the software company that I work for, we have developers burning up vacation time right now so we may have to be patient especially with the new year in the middle of the week.

I'm super excited by the app despite some early challenges. It's really great. I've been scouring the net for a used SKX or GSI to control it.
kevinpmajka

Next

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories