Guitar does not register via line in on 2012 MacBook Pro

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Guitar does not register via line in on 2012 MacBook Pro

Postby Muzical » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:45 pm

First of all, hello everyone.
I am sure many will look down upon me for saying this, but I used to use the MacBook Pro line in port to connect my guitar to my computer. I never had any problems using AmpliTube this way since my computer has 16GB Ram and an Intel i7 processor which is still pretty good.

I used to get crystal clear sound, without any latency and I used to use the headphone socket with a decent bunch of speakers. I never plugged into any other device. I just used a phono cable with the correct adaptor to plug right into my Mac's line in.

However, I recently updated my MacBook Pro to Catalina and I installed the current version of Amplitube 4 on that.

However, after going to the Midi Audio setup and choosing the built-input as the source (which is the same setting I used under High Sierra - the other option is the built in microphone, and that is not the line out), it does not register the input at all.
I tried all the obvious things like checking if the sound output is coming from the speakers or nothing is plugged into the headphone socket, but nothing works.

Of course, after hearing all the bad stuff about Catalina, I decided to install it on a separate partition. I can still use Amplitube 4 on the same computer using the partition with the High Sierra partition, under the same settings I always used. I have a whole lot of other applications that don't work on Catalina either so I am glad I didn't wipe out my original High Sierra OS.

Isn't it absurd that the same computer, using the same input could run the current version of Amplitube 4 perfectly using the line-in as the input source. Can Amplitube please fix this in a future update so you could use the line-in to connect your guitar?

I know I am probably the only person in the world that connects this way, but it sounds terrific and there is no lag or latency and you can use all the effects and stuff without having to have another contraption, which I find extremely off-putting and unecessary. For me, this method was excellent and such a hassle free way of using Amplitube. Please fix it if possible. It works OK on High Sierra and I won't update that version, but my laptop is still pretty fast and well-specced and I intend to continue using Amplitube on the newer OS, so it would have been nice if the line-in could be used again.

I know newer MacBook Pro laptops don't have the line-in ports, so few will miss this feature. Apple obviously think it is better to have two tiny USB-C inputs and a zillion hubs and dongles.
Muzical

Re: Guitar does not register via line in on 2012 MacBook Pro

Postby carlaz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Although I would not bet my life on it, I would at least suspect that this might be a Catalina issue rather than an AmpliTube issue. Have you tried seeing if you can get audio into Catalina via the line-in port to any other apps besides AmpliTube?
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Muzical » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi,

Good idea. I will try that tomorrow and report back. Thank you for your reply.
Muzical

Postby wpalmer43 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 am

I "think" I can help here.

Make sure the version you are installing is 4.9.0B not 4.9.0. I had the same issue as you, albeit with a better audio device, and the "B" version fixed this for me.

My Amplitube install is now working flawlessly on Catalina....

Catalina DID change the way it grants permission for apps to use the Microphone. The initial 4.9.0 version didn't prompt you for this permission upon first run, and the "B" version did.
wpalmer43

Postby wpalmer43 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:48 am

Here is where you can grant permission:
1. System Preferences/Security and Privacy/Privacy
2. Select Microphone
3. Make sure Amplitube 4 is checked
wpalmer43

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling