New install of SampleTank and question on Versions

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

New install of SampleTank and question on Versions

Postby mhlevy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi all,

I recently purchased a iRig I/O Pro which through a promotion included SampleTank 3SE. I was also given a gift of SampleTank 4SE, neither of which have I installed. I also have both a powerful Windows 10 system (3 GHz, 6 core I7, 32GB Ram) and an older iMAC (3 years old) I can use.

Which would be the preferred system, the Windows or iMAC to install? Secondly, would I just forget about installing ST3? I noticed in the downloadable sounds for ST4 SE that there are 2 ST3 Sound Content files that in the download windows, have the same name. Would that install the ST3 SE sounds in ST4 SE?

I'm a complete noob in SoundTank, and new to keyboards in general.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Levy
mhlevy

Re: New install of SampleTank and question on Versions

Postby DarkStar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Hello mhlevy and welcome to the forum.

I would always install the latest (that is ST4 SE) if your system specs meet the requirements:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st4/index.php?p=specs
The disk space requirement is if you install the whole library, but you can leave out some sections if you want.

As for the libraries, at the bottom of this page:[url]
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st4/#sounds[/url]
you will find PDFs for the various ST4 editions and a comparison PDF.

Note that when you run the ST4 (or ST3?) installer it will install the ST program and plug-ins and offer you the option to install the standalone Custom Shop and Authorization Manager programs. If you already have those, they may be more recent. If so you can skip those steps in the ST install.

Note 2: as you are on an older Mac I guess you are not using Catalina. But if you are check out the various threads here before you proceed.

Note 3: For ST4 (or ST3) you will also need the latest Sounds Update download (under "Download Resources", I think).

Note 4: Back-up all the Sound Content download files, so that you do not need to download them again in the future.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby mhlevy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.

Just one last question. Would it be better to install this on an older iMac (turns out it's substantially older than I thought, mid-2011) with a 2.7GHz i5 and 12GB of Ram, or an 8th gen 3 GHz i7 (6 cores) Windows 10 system w/16GB RAM? I know that most people use Macs for the software. But I'm really not a "Mac guy."

Are there any problems with using a Windows system and IK Multimedia software (Amplitube and SampleTank?)

Thanks again!

Mark
mhlevy

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:57 pm

mhlevy wrote:Are there any problems with using a Windows system and IK Multimedia software (Amplitube and SampleTank?)

There's no problem running on a Windows system. Sounds like you've got a good one there. I've got an older i5-based Windows machine that runs things fairly well and then my gaming machine that sounds closer to your Windows specs and IK software runs super smooth on it. Doesn't sound like you'll have any issues at all and would have a better experience with your Windows machine to be honest.

Also, your older Mac would have problems if you decided to install something like MODO DRUM that requires AVX instruction support because I don't believe they were using AVX-enabled processors in 2011.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby mhlevy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:32 pm

Thank you very much for your advice!

Mark
mhlevy

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:21 pm

mhlevy wrote:Thank you very much for your advice!

Mark

You're welcome!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More