Panning using Amplitube or DAW

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Panning using Amplitube or DAW

Postby scottlebrun44 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:18 am

Hey there - I'm a novice so please bear with me. I recorded two different mono guitar tracks and I want to pan them left and right. Would I pan using my DAW or would I pan within the Amplitube interface? Thanks
scottlebrun44

Re: Panning using Amplitube or DAW

Postby DarkStar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 am

Hello scottlebrun44 and welcome to the forum.

I would pan them in the DAW (I cannot remember in AmpliTube has pan controls.) That way AT4 deals with a central moon signal, does its thing and you pan it after that.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby scottlebrun44 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:29 pm

Thanks DarkStar. What is a central moon signal? I've never heard of that before.
scottlebrun44

Postby scottlebrun44 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:38 am

Also, I went back and noticed that the cabs in the presets are panned hard left and hard right in some and other presets are panned at center. Have you ever seen that before? Thanks
scottlebrun44

Postby DarkStar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:31 am

scottlebrun44 wrote:Thanks DarkStar. What is a central moon signal? I've never heard of that before.

One of my better typos :) ... "central mono".

I guess that some of the cabs are panned in homage to the set-ups on which they were modelled. User carlaz knows about this stuff and may well pop in to comment.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby scottlebrun44 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Thank you!!
scottlebrun44

Postby dlgebert » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:22 pm

scottlebrun44 wrote:Would I pan using my DAW or would I pan within the Amplitube interface? Thanks

I've done it both ways. For example, if you want to do something like have a guitar panned hard left, and have a stereo reverb so you can have just the reverberation of the guitar in stereo, you can go into the cab section and pan hard left and use a stereo reverb in the Rack Effects module.

Check out the Amplitube 4 manual in the "9.1.5 - The mixer section" where it mentions, "There is a main volume and pan on the mixer to help keep your levels and balance in check". Also next to the "Master" volume knob, there is the "Selected Module" section that has a pan knob that can be used if the selected module is stereo, like the models in the Rack Effects module. See "Chapter 10 – The Rack effects module".

Dave
dlgebert

Postby carlaz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Firstly, Central Moon Signal is an excellent album title. 8-)

Secondly -- though all IMO -- it depends a little on what you want to achieve.

DAWs usually let you have stereo or mono tracks. If you want to record a stereo guitar track with Amplitube in it, then there is an extent to which you might want to do your panning in Amplitube (for convenience, if nothing else). As noted, some presets have big stereo effects built into them, and you can really hear the width. Your mono guitar signal goes in, magic occurs in the Amplitube signal paths, and out comes wide stereo sound. Ultimately you can then tweak the panning in Amplitube or your DAW or both, and as long as you like what you hear, you are good. (That's generally true, though.)

Alternatively, you want to record mono guitar. Traditionally, a lot of guitar is simply recorded in mono. Even people throwing up multiple mics on a single cab will often sum those down to mono before it hits tape (or hard disk, or whatever). Obviously, Amplitube lets you do this very handily with up to two mics on each of two different cabs within the plugin. You can then pan your output mono guitar sound on its track to wherever you want in the stereo field. If you record different mono guitar parts and pan them hard left and right: voilà, big, wide, stereo guitars.

Of course, if you open up an Amplitube preset that was designed for stereo on a mono track ... Eh, I'm not actually sure what happens, though I suspect it's just all summed down to mono and you never actually notice that the preset was built for stereo. Likewise, I suspect any effort to pan things in Amplitube might change the tone coming out of the plugin (like, if you have different amps or cabs on left or right, and you pan hard left or right, you are essentially turning down the stuff on the other side), but it will still (probably) be a mono track with a mono signal -- which, of course, you can then pan to wherever you want in the DAW.

I do not do a lot of stereo guitar recording, in the sense of taking a mono guitar signal and making it sound sufficiently different on different sides of the stereo image (probably delaying at least one side slightly) so that it actually sounds stereo. I tend to record multiple mono parts and pan them differently.

However, if I were recording a stereo (i.e. mono -> stereo) guitar part, I would probably either leave the track in the DAW "centered", and mess with the different sounds for different sides of the stereo field within the gear modelled in the Amplitube plugin, or I would simply rout the mono guitar signal to different mono tracks in the DAW (which could then be panned however I wanted) and process them differently there, in their separate mono tracks, each with their own instances of the Amplitube plugin, etc. (In theory, you could expand that model to as many tracks as your DAW and computer could handle, processing them all differently.)
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Jamespalmer88 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:08 pm

scottlebrun44 wrote:Thanks DarkStar. What is a central moon signal? I've never heard of that before.

Not MOON... MONO
Jamespalmer88

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling