[RESOLVED] AXE I/O Very High Input Gain

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

[RESOLVED] AXE I/O Very High Input Gain

Postby Rosco19 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone else find the input gain on the AXE I/O interface to be really hot? I have to dial it down to zero on the interface to get reasonable levels inside my DAW (-12dB - -6dB).

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Thanks,

Russell
Last edited by Rosco19 on Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosco19

Re: AXE I/O Very High Input Gain

Postby dlgebert » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:41 pm

Rosco19 wrote:Does anyone else find the input gain on the AXE I/O interface to be really hot?

Russell,

It's hard to quantify what your issue is without knowing what your input source is. I assume you are referring to an electric guitar with passive pickups using the instrument input?

I've been recording a new song, and I when recording my G&L Jazz Bass, I had to set my AXE I/O gain set to about 1/2, and my signal in the AXE I/O control panel was still under -6db, which is where IKM recommends the input signal to be around. I should mention my G&L pickups are passive and my AXE I/O switch is set to passive and the other switch is set to "Pure".

For microphone input, I mic'd my Orange Crush 35RT and I had the AXE I/O Mic gain set to almost full. For recording vocals, I had the AXE I/O mic gain set to about 3/4.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Rosco19 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks for your reply Dave. Yes I should have specified that the input is my Les Paul. Perhaps this is normal with dual humbuckers?
Rosco19

Postby dlgebert » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:00 pm

Rosco19 wrote:Perhaps this is normal with dual humbuckers?

I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100 with passive pickups and gain should be needed and not be that hot. I've only recorded my LP mic'd thru my Orange Crush amp since I got my AXE I/O. I have a guitar solo to record tommorow and I'll be connecting directly using the AXE I/O instrument input, so I'll reply back after that.

I assume your LP pickups are passive? If not, change the switch on the AXE I/O to "Active". Also, how is your AXE I/O connected? Thru USB?

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Rosco19 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Yes correct on all accounts. Passive pickups, connected to input 1 on the interface, passive switch engaged, interface connected to PC over USB. Z-Tone knob set to 10 o’clock, and switched to Pure.

I went back and tested again and using your recommended gain setting of -6dB, I have to turn the gain up slightly to the 8 o’clock position on the dial.

This is more out of interest than anything. The interface itself works just fine.

Thanks again.
Rosco19

Postby dlgebert » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:20 am

Rosco19 wrote:your recommended gain setting of -6dB

I took a look at the manual and it actually shows -3db with a thumbs up picture next to it. My knob was at 12 o'clock and it was barely hitting -6db with my bass guitar.

Just to clarify, when I mention meters, I'm talking about in the AXE I/O control panel software, not in my DAW, which is Studio One 4.5 on an iMac. Also, on a Mac, there are no external drivers needed since the AXE I/O is class compliant, so maybe there's a difference there also.

All software required by the AXE I/O are available for download from the IK Multimedia website (www.
ikmultimedia.com/products/axeio). By downloading the “AXE I/O Drivers and Control Software” you’ll find:
MAC users: the installer contains the AXE I/O Control App.
Windows users: the package includes the AXE I/O Control App and the necessary drivers for the interface.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby dlgebert » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:01 pm

Rosco19 wrote:I went back and tested again and using your recommended gain setting of -6dB, I have to turn the gain up slightly to the 8 o’clock position on the dial.

dlgebert wrote:I have a guitar solo to record tommorow and I'll be connecting directly using the AXE I/O instrument input, so I'll reply back after that.

I connected my Epiphone Les Paul 100 directly using the AXE I/O instrument input and when playing chords, I could only go up to around 10 o'clock without clipping. Playing single notes I could go up to 11 o'clock or even to 12 o'clock, but 10 o'clock seems about right.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Rosco19 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:41 pm

So not too far off the gain setting I’m using then. Plus I noticed that my low E string is actually touching the pickup halfway up the neck, contributing to the problem. Time to get that corrected
Rosco19

Return to Interfaces & Controllers