My ARC 2.5 readings are literally off the charts

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

My ARC 2.5 readings are literally off the charts

Postby dj_shatterglass » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi all —

Just installed ARC 2.5 yesterday and tried to do some measurements today. The first result was horrible … turning on the ARC plugin in Logic Pro gave it the "antique radio" effect. I tried again … and it got worse. The orange curve is so wide it's literally off the screen. The thing is, the speakers sound OK to me … nowhere that bad.

Here's what I got the second time:

I'm doing something wrong but I'm not sure what. I'm in a small office, square, with a little furniture. I do all my mixing from a chair in the middle; the speakers are on a shelf pointed down toward me with those little Auralex Mopads. I took all the measurements from right around where my head would be when sitting down.

Here's my setup:

Audio out: Native Instruments Traktor 2
Power amp: Samson Servo-170
Speakers: Yorkville YM-2s (passive)
Audio input: Apogee ONE

Thanks in advance for any clues.
dj_shatterglass

Re: My ARC 2.5 readings are literally off the charts

Postby dj_shatterglass » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:47 am

I've repeated the ARC 2.5 measurement process about seven times and each time turns out similarly. If I play a professionally mastered commercial CD through Logic Pro, I can hear the bass being tamed a bit by the ARC 2 plugin, but the upper mids (especially when vocal, snare, and electric guitar all hit at once) are really, really harsh. What I want is a slider like MasterMatch to find a nice middle ground.

Today I set up Logic's Test Oscillator plugin to generate pink noise, set up the MEMS microphone where my ears would be, and got a flat reading:

I got similar results with a 20Hz-20kHz sine sweep.

So either my monitoring setup is very wrong or it's perfect … I was kind of hoping ARC 2.5 would settle this.
dj_shatterglass

Postby DarkStar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:52 am

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is raise a Support Ticket, here:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
for some one to one advice (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally).
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby dj_shatterglass » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:38 am

Thanks, will do.

I got a nice omni mic out of the deal and qualified for the current group buy, so I'm not too upset, just curious. :D
dj_shatterglass

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools