Non Proprietary Bluetooth Control of Amplitube iOS

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Non Proprietary Bluetooth Control of Amplitube iOS

Postby gdavis1767 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:21 pm

I have two questions here, each aimed at gaining external MIDI control of Amplitube iOS. I would prefer to be able to work Bluetooth style, but any way I could get what I want, is a win.

I have a StudioLogic Mixface controller which can function as a Bluetooth MIDI controller. Or a DAW cntroller.

When wired it can switch between modes for dual duty, when in wireless mode only one at a time.

So question one:

Is it possible to use this to access MIDI control of Amplitube iOS when in Bluetooth mode?

Question 2: What could I do to gain wired access to MIDI control function of Amplitube iOS?

I will list below what I have now and I do not think I can do it, but if I could just get one more stem I think it could happen; I am just not sure exactly how to go about it.

What I have:

iRig HD 2

PowerBridge

Apple Lightning cable to USB camera adapter

The Mixface, and a three Novation MIDI controller boxes.

The iRig HD 2 and my iPhone constitute my emergency back up rig but if I could get the above happening with my iPad, my Macbook Pro and rack mounted interface may become the backup ;-)

Thanks very much.
gdavis1767

Re: Non Proprietary Bluetooth Control of Amplitube iOS

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 pm

gdavis1767 wrote:question one:

Is it possible to use this to access MIDI control of Amplitube iOS when in Bluetooth mode?

Unfortunately, we don't have full information on the StudioLogic Mixface controller. AmpliTube for iOS will accept both CoreMIDI & Virtual MIDI. As long as this device sends MIDI to Virtual MIDI or CoreMIDI, this should work with the MIDI section of AmpliTube iOS.

gdavis1767 wrote:Question 2: What could I do to gain wired access to MIDI control function of Amplitube iOS?

There may be better latency times wired vs. Bluetooth, but we would suggest trying each out and seeing which one you prefer. Feel free to share your results with the community here.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby gdavis1767 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:06 pm

Hey thank you, Ryan.

I am still ignorant but wish to learn. I need to learn actually. How can I get wired MIDI access to Amplitube iOS with: iRig HD2 and PowerBridge?

Is there a product that would integrate a USB cable from a MIDI controller?

The Mixface, the Novation Launch Control, and Novation Launch Control XL are what I have (read: compact controllers, lacking black and white keys - knobs and button only). All function in Mac OS with IK software on my larger hardware via cabling but I am trying to learn how to use any of them in conjunction with my IK hardware and software and iPad.

Lacking a hard wire access point, wireless bluetooth would be an option even dealing with latency.

I got into the setup options and hoped that the Mixface would show up where BlueBoard would but I don't see that it did. I am not certain that there may be a place to look, that I am not seeing.

It would be great to have the option to use something that sends MIDI over Bluetooth, as I have spent on the iRig, the PowerBridge, and the full software already and would not prefer to ditch all of that because I can't get MIDI access. Meaning, I wouldn't object to buying a port or dongle type product that added to what I have.

Seems though, that if it sees BT MIDI signals, don't lock me out because I don't have a Blueboard.
gdavis1767

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:14 pm

We are more than happy to help.

Please note, MIDI is not locked for use with only the iRig BlueBoard. AmpliTube will accept MIDI from any devices sending MIDI over Virtual MIDI or CoreMIDI.

Once your device is connected to iOS, try opening AmpliTube and learning a MIDI control. To do this, press and hold a control, like Volume (On a Stomp FX or Amp) until you see the MIDI learn window. Once you see this, move your MIDI device to associated the parameter selected with your MIDI device's control.

gdavis1767 wrote:Hey thank you, Ryan.

I am still ignorant but wish to learn. I need to learn actually. How can I get wired MIDI access to Amplitube iOS with: iRig HD2 and PowerBridge?

The iRig HD 2 does not offer any MIDI connections, so this would not be able to send MIDI to AmpliTube.

AmpliTube has no extra set-up for MIDI use. Once MIDI is sent in, it will be detected. To control a parameter in AmpliTube with MIDI, press and hold the control until you see the MIDI learn window. Once done, move your MIDI knob/fader/button to 'learn' this control to your function.

Global controls can be set up in the Menu > Settings > External Device Settings.

gdavis1767 wrote:Is there a product that would integrate a USB cable from a MIDI controller?

Yes, the iRig Pro I/O integrates an MIDI interface with it's audio interface. The iRig MIDI 2 is also a great device. This will allow traditional MIDI devices which use 5-pin DIN connectors to go to Mac/PC, iOS, or compatible Android devices.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby gdavis1767 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:27 am

Okay... to share what I found:

I wrote the people at Studio Logic (proprietors of Mixface) and it appears I now have the solution thanks to them and the makers of MidiMittr.

Here is what I got in the reply:

To receive BT messages on your iOs device, you should install an app called “MidiMittr”.
In this App you can connect Mixface and then you can use it with you musical app.

It is very late here so real work will have to wait but I did go to the App store and get MidiMittr on my iPad and in short order I was able get signal from the Mixface recognized and "taught" a target in Amplitube iOS a command so it seems like it is now a matter of doing the work to get the controllers and their targets organized.

Nice.

Now to see if the sound is there. I gigged tonight with the Mac OS setup and it was pretty good. If I can get that with an iPad life will be better.

Thanks for your help Ryan.
gdavis1767

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:17 pm

gdavis1767 wrote:To receive BT messages on your iOs device, you should install an app called “MidiMittr”.
In this App you can connect Mixface and then you can use it with you musical app.

It is very late here so real work will have to wait but I did go to the App store and get MidiMittr on my iPad and in short order I was able get signal from the Mixface recognized and "taught" a target in Amplitube iOS a command so it seems like it is now a matter of doing the work to get the controllers and their targets organized.

Now to see if the sound is there. I gigged tonight with the Mac OS setup and it was pretty good. If I can get that with an iPad life will be better.

Thanks for your help Ryan.

Nice! Glad to hear they got you working. I'll make sure to let the team know this for future inquiries.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby gdavis1767 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Question, simple quick for now: how do I activate the tuner via MIDI in the iOS version. Using midi over bluetooth, and I have it working but am getting ready to set it up for dry run as if on a gig. I have one today it will be set as my backup. Using MacBook Pro and Mac OS version as primary.
gdavis1767

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:14 pm

gdavis1767 wrote:Question, simple quick for now: how do I activate the tuner via MIDI in the iOS version. Using midi over bluetooth, and I have it working but am getting ready to set it up for dry run as if on a gig. I have one today it will be set as my backup. Using MacBook Pro and Mac OS version as primary.

When you are in AmpliTube iOS use the Menu > Settings page to enter External Control Settings. Inside here use the MIDI window's Setup option (Upper right hand corner) to access global functions like the Tuner.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby gdavis1767 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:16 am

Many thanks. I had seen it and think it was overlooked, by me, today due to chasing my tail with having to re-do my controller routings and having ten other things waiting.

That might come in very handy.
gdavis1767

Return to Interfaces & Controllers