General Computer Discussion

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Re: AmpliTube Experience

Postby neurotone » Wed May 01, 2019 7:42 am

I wrote out this long reply looked up specs on a 2009 iMac what it can handle what operating system it can run all kinds of stuff and I knew if I posted it. It would make you very angry and I don't want to be that dude. As a polite suggestion, I suggest purchasing a new computer not one that was made when Obama was President. Did you know George Bush was president why the engineers were putting the final touches together on that beautiful iMac that came out in 2009 I just want to put it into perspective for you. :lol:
neurotone

Postby Music Fusion » Wed May 01, 2019 3:02 pm

I don’t understand why you would think that would make me angry. I do plan to buy a new iMac but in the interim, this one functions fine 99% of the time.
Music Fusion

Postby Music Fusion » Wed May 01, 2019 3:09 pm

By the way, I hope you did not take my reply to your original questions as snarky you asked me what products I used on my iMac and I answered. It was not meant to be combative. And I still find it very difficult to believe that my iMac is set up so differently from all others.
Music Fusion

Postby neurotone » Wed May 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Hey by the way what program do you run on there just joking :D
neurotone

Postby Music Fusion » Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm

As an aside, for a very long time, i used Windows and Pro Tools for my music recording projects.

But I found that I was spending too much time trying to get the software to play nicely with Windows.

When i switched to Apple, everything just worked. I was no longer having to tweak this or that. It just all worked and the integration was amazing. I could record something in Logic, transfer the mix to my iPhone, iPod etc or share it very easily.

So Apple won me over, even though i respect the fact that many think the products are over priced and too proprietary.

My next purchase will be an updated iMac. But presently I have 16 GB of RAM in my iMac, and it seems to handle most tasks amply. It is only when i am into a project with over 10 tracks, all with plug ins etc, that i sometimes get an overload warning- and even then, there are easy workarounds to still retain the effects while offloading the load on the system.

Anyway, this thing was AmpliTube is an anomaly that has not yet been sorted out. Maybe there is something about my iMac; but I find that hard to believe. i can't be the only one with a 2009 iMac and judging from the Apple forums, I'm not.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. I know it is probably time for an updated iMac, and that will likely happen this summer because they are having a special offer in July (I am told) where they throw in a bonus product (I think it may be headphones or something like that).

Take care
Music Fusion

Postby Music Fusion » Wed May 01, 2019 4:31 pm

P.S. If I hook up a gerbil and three hamsters, I can check my email while running Logic l-(
Music Fusion

Postby Music Fusion » Wed May 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Not to be difficult, but my support write up was cited on this forum.

I was a little surprised to see that

Not that I wrote anything that I was concerned about, but I cited the support response because you cited my support request. Anyway........

And I wasn't;t aware it was against the rules.I apologize for that.
Music Fusion

Postby neurotone » Wed May 01, 2019 7:49 pm

Hey, I get it I have an iPhone XR an iPad. I have a 13-year-old daughter and of course, I had to get an iPhone 7 because you're not cool unless you have an iPhone at that age.

I am actually surprised not so much surprised but impressed that you're rocking a 10-year-old computer that's still functional for everyday use. The web has gotten more process-driven programs and become heavier so to speak.

I guess you could call me a computer enthusiastic I'm writing to you on KDE neon https://neon.kde.org/ but next to me is a Windows machine for recording and that's about it in my closet is a Nas server running https://www.openmediavault.org with 8 terabytes of storage everything in my house is gigabit except for the Raspberry Pi's which I have three 2 Raspberry Pi 3 B's and one Raspberry Pi 3 B+ I have one running and I forgot what it's even doing lol now that I think about it. :lol:

I personally have my eye on the new Mac Mini granted I do not like some of the choices that are made but then I come from Old School world I'm 43 I believe on the Mac Mini they solder the hard drive to the motherboard or logic board whatever they call it now. I don't think they solder the ram but they might I can't remember but I know on some Macs they do solder the RAM on to the logic board. Those types of tactics lock you into their pricing of upgrades and not doing it yourself unless you know how to solder really well and know how to do some reballing to upgrade your RAM or hard drive:lol: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini/3.0ghz-6-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-4.1ghz-256gb

For the ideal Mac Mini, I want with the specs I want it's going to cost me $1,799.00 that's a lot of money from me. I can build a kick-ass Linux box and have money left over for that price but I want one. I think they're cool and I like the seamless integration between their phones and computers.

The reason I use Linux is I feel like I'm in more control I can choose updates. I can freeze a program to never update. I like that it's community-driven most of it. If malicious code is found and there are super Geeks out there reading code like a book. It is quickly recognized.

I've been saying this for a long time I believe there should be a committee of trusted volunteers that worked for No One that gets to look at the code of close Source programs and have some sort of stamp of approval of exactly what it does. I know people would find holes in that idea. like well they could look at the code get the stamp and then the Company can add the code afterward and then compiled the program and then release it. If they can find a system that would work.

That would put a lot of trusts back into closed-source software. But trying to get Windows on bored or Intel that would be like pulling teeth. I run AMD because Intel has Intel Management Engine in the processor since 2008 called Minix OS. Basically a small little operating system in the chip that you cannot have access to and there is very little bit knowledge about it.

Some investigative reporters found out through luck that that management system can be shut off they found documents that some of our government agencies requested processors with Minix deactivated and Intel did so. That sort of tells us what's it for and is it necessary I know what they say they tell us what it's for.
Man, you get me going on a chat binge lol
Bruce
neurotone

Postby Music Fusion » Wed May 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Hi Bruce. You are far more technical than I am.

I agree with you that there should be some overall governance body that oversees technology, but as with any other tool, someone will try to use it for not so good uses.

I used to really enjoy upgrading my own PC and I even had my son in law build my last PC with audio recording in mind. But as I get older, I have less patience with fighting with PCs and I found that Mac just works.

Anyway...we may be derailing this thread ;-(
Music Fusion

General Computer Discussion

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri May 03, 2019 5:44 pm

This thread is for general discussions on different computers and how we use them to make music!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to General Discussions