SampleTank 4 [and 4.0.8] Now Available!

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Re: SampleTank 4 [and 4.0.4 + library updates] Now Available

Postby halfcack » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:25 am

dlgebert wrote:
halfcack wrote:Is there a way to download all to the ssd and run it from there, if so, how do I get it to the ssd.

halfcack,

I created a small 2GB virtual drive on my iMac and I was able to change a Safari setting, and then login to my user area and download directly to my virtual drive. You should easily be able to do the same to your SSD. Below is the process I followed:

Before starting, create a "Download" folder on your SSD drive to keep all your downloaded files in, then continue.

Open [Safari]

From the Safari menu, select [Safari] and then [Preferences]

Toward the bottom of the small window that pops up, change [File download location:] to [Other...]

A new window will pop up and in the column on the left, click on the icon that has your computer's name. From there, find your SSD drive and select it.

Choose the "Download" folder you created on your SSD drive.

You can close the small window and download files from your User Area.

The downloaded files will now go to the "Download" folder on your SSD drive.

I downloaded "The Grid Sound Content" as a test, and the file went to my virtual drive instead of the default Download folder.

You should be able to install software directly to your SSD drive, but I've never done that myself, so I can't comment on that process.

Dave
Dave, I just had a chance to try this. A piece of genius. I read some of the other methods which required a whole lot more knowledge plus the steps to get to where you got me to even if I understood it were overwhelming.

Some required that extra software be purchased others I didn’t get beyond the first paragraph.

I followed your instructions. It downloaded the SE files in about a half hour. I used a cheap My Passport WD Drive which came with a type C to type C cable.

That took me six hours on the first try on release date direct to the Mac.

I did have a glitch when I got to voice samples. It downloaded quite a bit then said I didn’t have authorization. I will retry once the ST3 stuff is safe.

I then got to ST3 Sound Content Part 1. It slowed quite a bit but the SSD got a bit warm as well. I’m sure it will make it through ST3 Sound Content Part 2 slower but it’s all on the SSD or will be. The SSD got a bit warmer just now so I put it on the metal of the MacBook.

Anyway, you came up with a two step solution that works perfectly. Thank you so much.

I will look on the forum for the latest list of what to open first, Pete has one, in the proper order.

Last question. Will I be able to open all the files and run SE4 from the external drive ? If not, mission accomplished. I have save my investment.

Thank you !
halfcack

Postby esierka » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:37 pm

I submitted a support ticket on April 20, 2019 regarding ongoing performance issues with ST4 (version 4.04) that are rendering ST practically unusable and have not received a response. What do I need to do to get a response?
esierka

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:03 pm

esierka wrote:I submitted a support ticket on April 20, 2019 regarding ongoing performance issues with ST4 (version 4.04) that are rendering ST practically unusable and have not received a response. What do I need to do to get a response?

I've gone ahead and bumped the team on your ticket. They have been switching to a new system to improve the overall user experience. We appreciate your patience during this transition. Stay tuned for a reply headed your way at some point today.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby esierka » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks. I did get a response and will start working things.
esierka

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:51 pm

esierka wrote:Thanks. I did get a response and will start working things.

Glad to hear. :D
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby smlarge51 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:07 pm

I have the USB drive for the new ST4 product. 4/25/2019

Is it possible to only install the SampleTank 3 part of USB drive?

Or do I need to install the entire ST3 and ST4 ?

I'm on a 2018 iMac 64-bit machine.

- Steve
smlarge51

Postby feldor » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi all, just quickly wanting to say I do not like the package. I like some of the sounds, especially human voices, but I think that does not cover the problems I've had. First of all, the installation is silly and not going into any details because everyone should already know that how stupit that "thing" is. Who is behind this way how you need to download things? I mean, really..
Now, back to sounds when I finally was able to download them. I have constant crashes and whenever I'm (just now... so you know I'm pissed off.. sorry) trying to make a song, this... software just crashes and has no means for saving anything - unless I've manually made it.
Thing is, it just takes too much pc power and even if you think "yes you have just low end PC", it never helps, because the software sucks.
Sounds many of them are cool, but if I cannot use them because of the constant crash things, I just use other things, not Sampletank ones.

This might be a bit harsh "review", but I'm trying to be honest. As said, I do like the sounds, wishing I could use them fully...

Cheers...
feldor

Postby halfcack » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:34 pm

This is really funny. I ranted about that as well.

I bought an on sale A 62 NI keyboard.

They have an app which has one advantage, it keeps track of all the stuff you bought, keeps them up to date and imports other sounds. Without my input because it knows I'm “stupit.”

Congratulations, you are he first person I ever saw spell stupit like that, for effect. I always use, “opportunafish” and never have been called on it.

Imagine my surprise when I had to do the same thing at NI. It was almost over before it started.

I bought the ssd drive I mentioned and it downloaded all of SE's content in an hour.

I then downloaded all of NI's content for a comparison, lower gigage, faster to download.

With ST, I did have an initial problem on the first try with Voices and Strings,

The estimate was about two weeks at 25 kB a second. I just erased it and started over. Bam, 256 down, over in minutes.

Support helped me out by pointing to docs it took days for me to -not- find.

Support also pointed out that the number two and three pages would be of use to me. It’s kind of a cheat sheet.

I’m taking it slow. When I plugged the keyboard in and had downloaded the app, “magic” happened. The keyboard found everything, assembled it neatly and I was ready to go.

It's is going to take a while. I asked support at ik if I could use the content only. I don’t use the interface, I just like the sounds. Support said just download content. It worked.
Last edited by halfcack on Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halfcack

Postby dlgebert » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:46 pm

halfcack wrote:I just had a chance to try this. A piece of genius. I read some of the other methods which required a whole lot more knowledge plus the steps to get to where you got me to even if I understood it were overwhelming.

Some required that extra software be purchased others I didn’t get beyond the first paragraph.

I followed your instructions. It downloaded the SE files in about a half hour. I used a cheap My Passport WD Drive which came with a type C to type C cable.

Anyway, you came up with a two step solution that works perfectly. Thank you so much.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad this worked for you. Sometimes the simple solutions work the best. :)

Dave
dlgebert

Postby halfcack » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:52 pm

Dave,

Yes.

Thank you. With me, I just have to get the light bulb to turn on.

I actually got sound to come out of it last night, properly.

The slightly smaller than a barcode sized display, (actually, refreshing) showed me the name of the sound, what it was, category, etc.

To top it off, it's an -oled- display. The board looked for these sounds and found them. Congrats to them for a great app.

This could be rewarding.

Thank you.
Last edited by halfcack on Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halfcack

Postby halfcack » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:00 pm

smlarge51 wrote:I have the USB drive for the new ST4 product. 4/25/2019

Is it possible to only install the SampleTank 3 part of USB drive?

Or do I need to install the entire ST3 and ST4 ?

I'm on a 2018 iMac 64-bit machine.

- Steve
Hi Steve,

I don’t guarantee my work so .... yes, I did it and it stood alone or comes up in the whole package.

Same with ST4. In the app or stand alone.

Sorry in advance this didn’t work, if it doesn’t.

I just stumbled and fell into it by downloading ST3 in from my -user area-, stopping and trying it. It worked. I don’t know if it will work pulling it off a stick drive.

Best,
Chaz
halfcack

Postby halfcack » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:35 pm

syd4444 wrote:I recently upgraded to 4.04 and it runs perfectly in stand alone mode but when I try to use it with Logic Pro X I now have a midi delay making it unplayable. I've tried changing the streaming settings but nothing gets rid of the delay. Has anyone else experienced this problem.
Yup, of all things, I ran into it last night. I twisted some knobs and it went away, came back then went away for good.

It was the same as hiss that was coming out of the Mac, that went away too. Sorry, not much help, if any.

I found after it loses all the ‘lectricity, overnight, it usually cures the problem.

Best to you, most problems occur for me when I try to go fast.
halfcack

Postby syd4444 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Many Thanks, I've went back to using ST3 til I'm satisfied I've solved the problem. Maybe my set up is just a bit too old and slow to handle ST4 but it is still usable for using single instruments then freezing the track in Logic to save capacity.
syd4444

Postby dakfat » Thu May 09, 2019 12:10 pm

I am under the impression 4.0.4 is still far from optimized cpu wise. I have an old machine, an I7 3770k with 32gb of ram and my Samples are on an SSD. Still, I can load an 18 gig piano patch with full fx chains using 10% of a single CPU core from competing 3rd party kontakt libraries, sounds that are more deeply sampled and complex, based on sample size and what I can hear, than the piano patches in ST4, Yet a single ST4 piano patch can overload one of my cores if I hold a chord with 2 hands...

I am an iK lover and own the whole product range and a good chunk of the hardware too. I love T-Racks and amplitube in terms of how awesome they sound and how efficiently they are programmed.I can have 20 instances of T-racks open and 6 amplitubes and still track at low buffer settings. For some reason, as far back as ST3 and Miroslav 2, I have never been able to get along smoothly with the tank. ST3 would crash within minutes and v4 Just drains my cpu.

I hope they can further optimize ST4 because I don’t plan on updating my pc in the near future and I can still make music without restrictions with the rest of my plugs and vis on this machine.
dakfat

Postby Peter_IK » Thu May 09, 2019 6:20 pm

triggerthehorizon wrote:I am under the impression 4.0.4 is still far from optimized cpu wise. I have an old machine, an I7 3770k with 32gb of ram and my Samples are on an SSD. Still, I can load an 18 gig piano patch with full fx chains using 10% of a single CPU core from competing 3rd party kontakt libraries, sounds that are more deeply sampled and complex, based on sample size and what I can hear, than the piano patches in ST4, Yet a single ST4 piano patch can overload one of my cores if I hold a chord with 2 hands...

I am an iK lover and own the whole product range and a good chunk of the hardware too. I love T-Racks and amplitube in terms of how awesome they sound and how efficiently they are programmed.I can have 20 instances of T-racks open and 6 amplitubes and still track at low buffer settings. For some reason, as far back as ST3 and Miroslav 2, I have never been able to get along smoothly with the tank. ST3 would crash within minutes and v4 Just drains my cpu.

I hope they can further optimize ST4 because I don’t plan on updating my pc in the near future and I can still make music without restrictions with the rest of my plugs and vis on this machine.

This is not the normal behavior. 4.0.4 is an extreme optimization with reported results of massive reductions in resource usage. I assume you have a ticket open so the support team can help you with this issue?
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More