iRig Acoustic Stage - putting the puzzle together...

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig Acoustic Stage - putting the puzzle together...

Postby cadethacker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Hello folks, I need a touch of help here. Played Mandolin for years, but finally getting involved in my church band, and first time really working with Sound. New world for me. Totally lost. So I bought the iRig Acoustic Stage. So far, I'm getting sound to the board :D but there are some holes in my knowledge and some things I want.

Code: Select all
[code]iRig mic on mandolin -->
--> irig acoustic stage belt clip
--> out to direct box**
--> XLR to the board. [/code]

But what I want is two things:
1. between songs I want to mute myself and tune. I can buy a pedal tuner, which I still might, but I have the tuner on Amplitube, but when I tune, I can't mute myself, so I come through the mains while tuning (boo).

2. I then added a USB cable from the irig acoustic stage belt clip --(usb micro to lightning)--> my iPhone 8, but this doesn't' seem to have any impact on the sound. How do I get the changes/modification from Amplitube back to the line going to the sound board? I thought that Amplitube would push the sound modifications (reverb, etc) back to the belt clip...

3. I'm use the DirectBox to change from 1/4 to XLR, but still not sure why an adapter would not do the same thing. (still learning). The LR Baggs my church has is great, but trying to keep my setup simple. Do I need something more between the BeltClip and the soundboard? (Preamp?)

Thanks for helping a noobie out.

** Radial ProDI 1-channel Passive Instrument Direct Box
OR
LR Baggs Para DI Acoustic Preamp, 5-band EQ, and Direct Box
cadethacker

Re: iRig Acoustic Stage - putting the puzzle together...

Postby garfy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi cadehacker and welcome to the forum.

I don't own the iRig Acoustic Stage, but going from looking at the specs...

1) How are you using AmpliTube to tune? This might give me a better idea of how to answer this question.

2) As far as I can tell, the USB out is for sending a digital out for recording rather than interacting with AmpliTube.

3) The iRig Acoustic Stage is the preamp and it outputs a signal at line level. I would presume that the DI box being used by your church is to switch the level down to microphone level, as well as change it to XLR, so it can be plugged into the soundboard's microphone inputs.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby cadethacker » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:07 pm

I've been mostly using this video as my reference. The AmpliTube has a built in tuner in the software. And the video say to "send a line out signal to the mixer" at the 1:15 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZcTNdSxWs0

So the problem i'm having is I have only the lightning jack on the bottom. So I'm assuming I need some sort of adapter that can both take the digital input then push the sound back out to a line out. I can guess and get it right, but that get expensive :D

This was easier when there was a headphones jack. :D Thanks Apple. :D
cadethacker

Postby garfy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Ahhh, ok. Slightly talking at crossed purposes here then, but I'll try to help with some more information.

You are using the iRig Acoustic (clip on mic thing) but you also have the "Stage" element as well. Here's a video where you'll see the difference https://youtu.be/x1NgeCrpnMc and here is the product page with much more information (and more videos under the "Media" tab) https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... p=info#top

In a nutshell, yes the iRig Acoustic clip on mic (as shown in the video you linked to) can be used with an mobile device running AmpliTube OR it can be used in conjunction with the preamp/DSP box (the "Stage" element) but not both. I think the idea of the preamp/DSP box is to free you of having to use a mobile device on stage while still having some degree of control on the sound you are sending to the PA or to a DAW via the USB.

In theory it's possible to run iRig Acoustic Stage out to a mobile device with AmpliTube and then onto a DI box to go to the board, but it would need a number of cables and convertors to do this and, as in your case, something with a lightning connector to get it into an iPhone 8. I've had a quick search and can't see anything that has a lightning to I/O that would work, but I didn't search for long so you may well be able to find one.

I suggest that you put in a ticket to official IK Support here https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/ in case no on else chimes in here with a solution, as they will be able to tell you definitively.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to Interfaces & Controllers