What is the Leslie Collection?

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

What is the Leslie Collection?

Postby coolbreezeonline » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:45 pm

I am new to the world of digital music creation. I am an experienced Hammond B3 player. I have no idea if the Leslie Collection by IK Multimedia is something I need. I think it is. I want to create tracks in Logic and/or Ableton with all sorts of instruments but always will want a B3 in the mix. Both Logic and Kontakt have Hammond sounds but I'm thinking the Leslie Collection will enhance those sounds? Also, the Leslie Collection will help me create my own Hammond B3 sounds?

Will someone please enlighten me. What exactly does the Leslie Collection do.
coolbreezeonline

Re: What is the Leslie Collection?

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:57 pm

Leslie Collection is a model of the rotating speaker famously used with Hammond organs (the Leslie). It is a result of the exclusive collaboration between the IK Multimedia team and Hammond USA and Suzuki Music Corp. of Japan with the aim of perfectly recreating, for the first time ever, the truly authentic sound of the legendary Leslie® amps and cabinets in the digital world.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby coolbreezeonline » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:04 am

Where does the Hammond sounds come from that is used in the Leslie Collection? The software also includes Hammond sounds and includes a GUI that has drawbars? I'm not understanding.
coolbreezeonline

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:05 am

coolbreezeonline wrote:Where does the Hammond sounds come from that is used in the Leslie Collection? The software also includes Hammond sounds and includes a GUI that has drawbars? I'm not understanding.

There are no organ sounds made by the Leslie cabinets, it is a simulation of the rotating speakers.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby coolbreezeonline » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:16 am

Is there software out there that has Hammond sounds and a drawbar GUI that I can pair with the Leslie Collection?
coolbreezeonline

Postby garfy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:27 am

coolbreezeonline wrote:Is there software out there that has Hammond sounds and a drawbar GUI that I can pair with the Leslie Collection?

The Vintage B3 instrument in Logic Pro X has drawbars (as well as a large number of controls to adapt the sound) and allows you to turn off the Cabinet (under Rotor Cabinet tab). Then you can insert an instance of TR5 Leslie Collection to take care of the speaker emulation.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby coolbreezeonline » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:35 am

Thanks!!!!
coolbreezeonline

Return to General Discussions