AXE I/O Now Available

Breaking news, announcements, promotions and general important information from IK Multimedia

Re: AXE I/O Now Available

Postby death6667771 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:40 am

Big thanks Ryan_IK
I think about resell my Clarett
death6667771

Postby Niquez » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:45 pm

Peter_IK wrote:There is no advantage to USB 3 and it would increase cost. USB 2 has the bandwidth and throughput to handle MANY more channels of simultaneous audio and MIDI data that you could possibly put through AXE I/O. And the cables aren't going to be any better on USB 3.

AXE I/O brings the highest performance possible at a great cost by avoiding using unnecessary technology that would simply make it cost more.

One example is a manufacturer who uses USB 2.0 for their 48 channel (in and out!) and there's still a ton of room to push even more.

I find it downright crazy to think that a technology created ~20 years ago has the same latency benefits as a technology created in 2017 (I think the latest iteration of 3.x had chips available then). Raw bandwidth is not really what I was getting at, I realize that streams of uncompressed audio are not exactly bandwidth hogs.

The cost is rather high already, probably makes sense to not make it cost even more for something that isn't needed. Though I do disagree on the cable thing, USB3 cables are objectively better, with better connectors that are rated for higher plugs / unplugs and actually do last longer in real world usage. A few YouTube tech channels have confirmed this.

Cheers, look forward to trying this device. I still have an old AVID MBox 3 (USB) and it's not exactly great. Lots of driver bugs, especially when new versions of OSX come out.

That's the one thing I need with an audio interface, a company that is willing to do the legwork and keep up with driver updates and test beta versions of OS's, follow what Apple is changing in their betas, so when the final gets released to customers, it's not a big shock that they deprecated certain APIs or whatever, and something is broken. For whatever reason, AVID doesn't care to do this, and it's a PITA!
Niquez

Postby carlaz » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:55 pm

I'm not sure that -- for the kind of data being transferred/handled, at least -- that latency is really very dependent on whether the connections are USB 2 or 3. I think that, in this case anyway, latency is much more dependent on things in the computer: i.e. the CPU, etc.

So, really, it seems to me that USB 2 here is just a sensible cost-saving choice. There's no benefit to using more expensive USB 3 components.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby mfarkas » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:18 pm

The Control panel and driver software will only install on OS X 10.11 or greater. So if you have OS X 10.10 you will not get the the Axe I/O to work. There is nothing mentioned in the product information to tell you this. IK Multimedia need to make driver software for earlier versions. Logic Pro 10.10 does not recognise it so I can't use it at all.
mfarkas

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:23 pm

mfarkas wrote:The Control panel and driver software will only install on OS X 10.11 or greater. So if you have OS X 10.10 you will not get the the Axe I/O to work. There is nothing mentioned in the product information to tell you this. IK Multimedia need to make driver software for earlier versions. Logic Pro 10.10 does not recognise it so I can't use it at all.

Hi, this is states on the AXE I/O Specs page at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/a ... hp?p=specs

If you'd like to see if there's any workaround (as it still may likely work as a class-compliant audio interface, I don't see why it wouldn't but could be wrong) please inquire with IK Support directly at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby mfarkas » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks for your reply. Indeed it does work as a class compliant audio interface.I have also managed to get the app working for me. I'm not sure if it will work for anyone else. This is how I did it.
Control or right click the AXA IO Control Panel and select show package contents.
Open Contents and then open MacOS folder.
Inside should be AXE IO Control Panel.
Control or right click the AXA IO Control Panel and select open with Terminal.App

This launched the control panel for me.

Ignore the text file created and do not close otherwise the control panel closes too.
mfarkas

Postby emredjan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:31 pm

Is there a specific reason why no digital I/O is included (S/PDIF, Optical)? I get that it's a guitar focused product, but for a premium interface in this price range, one would expect digital connectivity.
emredjan

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:09 pm

emredjan wrote:Is there a specific reason why no digital I/O is included (S/PDIF, Optical)? I get that it's a guitar focused product, but for a premium interface in this price range, one would expect digital connectivity.

That would likely have driven the low price up further, but I am not the designer/product manager so I'll relay your suggestion to them. Thank you.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby amin_ya » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:42 am

This interface features' seem awesome.
Regarding the price, do you plan to make an interface with fewer inputs? and Any do you have any plan for selling interface without bundled software?
amin_ya

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:40 pm

amin_ya wrote:This interface features' seem awesome.
Regarding the price, do you plan to make an interface with fewer inputs? and Any do you have any plan for selling interface without bundled software?

I do not have any news on an interface like this with fewer inputs and we typically bundle software with all our interfaces. We do have other interfaces with single or fewer inputs already available at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/interfaces/
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby rrichard63 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:19 pm

If the side panels are removed, can this be mounted on a rack shelf as a half-rack (8.75 inch wide by 1.75 inch high) unit? Or is it desktop only? Thanks in advance.
rrichard63

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:14 pm

rrichard63 wrote:If the side panels are removed, can this be mounted on a rack shelf as a half-rack (8.75 inch wide by 1.75 inch high) unit? Or is it desktop only? Thanks in advance.

It is desktop/tabletop, there are currently no rackmount options available though the team is aware of this request. Thanks!
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby bill4510 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:33 am

death6667771 wrote:For example i launch Cubase (with ASIO) and launch music player at one time (with ASIO). It's will work? Or only one application can work? Another words: Multiclient driver?

Make sure to check release driver in background.
bill4510

Postby Michael Ganic » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:33 pm

I bought the AXE I/O last week and I love it! A significant upgrade from my previous audio interface.

Can I keep this thing plugged in to the power socket or is it recommended that I unplug it when not in use?
Also, with the attachment that works in the Canadian wall sockets, I am able to plug in the power supply in both orientations (I can turn the plug up-side-down and still plug into the wall). Will this affect the circuitry in the unit?

Thanks!
Michael Ganic

Postby kellere » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:02 pm

Question: as a class compliant device, what about using this in connection with new iPad Pro. I see others have asked this question but I reiterate it from the class compliant point of view. Thanks, Cheers
In Girum Imus Nocte et Consumimur Igni
kellere

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements