Irig keys I/O and iPad Pro (usb-c)

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Irig keys I/O and iPad Pro (usb-c)

Postby benjac » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi all,

I understand that this a user/user forum, so here is my question to the irig community.

Can anyone tell me if the irig key I/O keyboards work with the latest iPad Pro with USB-C.

I understand that IK Multimedia sells a special USB-C adapter, but I have also read a number of comments indicating that there are connexion problems with the new iPad Pro.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben
benjac

Re: Irig keys I/O and iPad Pro (usb-c)

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your post.

The iRig Keys I/O will work with the latest iPad Pro 2018 (USB-C). This will be possible with a Mini-DIN to USB-C (OTG) cable. Unfortunately, this cable does not provide charging at this time. All other functions should operate normally.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/? ... -din-cable
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby benjac » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Thank you Ryan.

Since I have already read similar responses from IK, but also read from real users (on Amazon, on this forum and on other platforms) that there are problems (connection drops apparently) with the USB-C iPad, I would be happy to have confirmation from a user - not IK - that the problem is solved (by IK or Apple, whatever...) and that "it just works".

Thanks again Ryan ;)
benjac

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:50 pm

Ryan is in touch with the support and testing teams who do know it works. There are cases where people have had issues as with any hardware which have been resolved by our support staff (or would be if they contacted them) or some could have been using a third-party cable that doesn't comply with certain standards, etc. It absolutely, objectively works with the iPad model you are asking about.

FYI, this is the exact setup that we and others used throughout the busiest music industry tradeshow (NAMM), straight through and with zero connectivity issues. So we are also real users (not to mention the IK employees and partners that use them in this setup daily for their own projects), and used the proper cables etc which again I think may be at the core of the issue for others.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby benjac » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Thank you Peter.
benjac

Postby benjac » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Thanks again for your messages.
I have bought the 25 keys model and confirm it works like a charm with the USB-C iPad Pro.
benjac

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:11 pm

benjac wrote:Thanks again for your messages.
I have bought the 25 keys model and confirm it works like a charm with the USB-C iPad Pro.

:D
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:11 pm

benjac wrote:Thanks again for your messages.

Fantastic to hear, thanks for coming back to confirm in the thread.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dieter_hirsbrunner » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:55 pm

I use irig keys with the new iPad Pro generation 3. The usb to usb-c cable works great.

My only issue is that you cannot monitor through headphones. You can with Bluetooth but there is a delay.

If I want to record using irig keys in garage band on my iPad Pro how would I be able to monitor? If I use a midi controller I would just use irig pro I/O is a midi interface and monitor through the irig pro I/O’s headphone output.

What are my options with irig keys, am I stuck with using the iPads speakers?
dieter_hirsbrunner

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:58 pm

dieter_hirsbrunner wrote:I use irig keys with the new iPad Pro generation 3. The usb to usb-c cable works great.

My only issue is that you cannot monitor through headphones. You can with Bluetooth but there is a delay.

If I want to record using irig keys in garage band on my iPad Pro how would I be able to monitor? If I use a midi controller I would just use irig pro I/O is a midi interface and monitor through the irig pro I/O’s headphone output.

What are my options with irig keys, am I stuck with using the iPads speakers?

Youu should use the outputs or headphones on iRig Keys I/O for output. In the case of live monitoring, iRig Keys I/O does support it but that is also dependent upon the app you are using also supporting it.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dieter_hirsbrunner » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi Peter,

I have the non I/O version of irig keys. It does not have an audio output.
dieter_hirsbrunner

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:21 pm

dieter_hirsbrunner wrote:Hi Peter,

I have the non I/O version of irig keys. It does not have an audio output.

I misread the later mention or iRig Pro I/O as Keys I/O, sorry about that. You'll need to route out of the headphones for monitoring on iRig Pro I/O and on Keys (non I/O) you unfortunately do not have that option so your speakers would be the way to go since there is only one direct connection to the device. I believe some have had luck with (usually powered) USB hubs though?
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby lukkylemec » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:24 am

Ryan_IK wrote:Hi Ben,

Thanks for your post.

The iRig Keys I/O will work with the latest iPad Pro 2018 (USB-C). This will be possible with a Mini-DIN to USB-C (OTG) cable. Unfortunately, this cable does not provide charging at this time. All other functions should operate normally.

The issue i’m having seems to be no power to the iRig - so how do I get around this plz??
lukkylemec

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 pm

lukkylemec wrote:
Ryan_IK wrote:Hi Ben,

Thanks for your post.

The issue i’m having seems to be no power to the iRig - so how do I get around this plz??

Please open a ticket with IK Support and they will happily assist you with your issue. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

Thank you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby MiguelJS » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi, I read this thread and decided to buy the irig keys IO 25 with the usb c adapter for my ipad pro. What was the surprise, it keeps crashing down no matrer which app I use.

Hen i read that probably it is a matter of oowe. So i bought the power connection sold separately and the problem persist. Is there any way to sopve rhe connection problem?

Thx!
MiguelJS

Next

Return to Interfaces & Controllers