Using ARC with multiple pairs of monitors

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

Using ARC with multiple pairs of monitors

Postby tedmartin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:11 am

I am running Cubase 10 and plan to put ARC 2.5 as an insert on the Stereo Out so that the correction will not be applied to exported mix downs which will be perfect.

Cubase allows you to switch within the software between multiple sets of monitors feed by the Stereo Out.

I just ordered ARC 2.5 and immediately after purchasing I realized that the correction is likely specific to the pair of monitors used when doing the calibrating. Is this correct and is there a way to multiple and switchable corrections

Being that I have a pairs of NS10s with a Sub, Behringer Truths, and early 80s JBLs in a soffit as the hyped rock pair I am concerned that ARC will need to be disabled each time I change to the monitors that were not used to sample the room. Am I correct?
tedmartin

Re: Using ARC with multiple pairs of monitors

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

The most accurate way to use Arc 2 in this type of set up is with multiple measurements. When you switch to your different monitors in Cubase, switch the measurement used in Arc 2, otherwise you will hear an incorrect curve for the speakers selected.

While these measurements should be fairly similar, since your speakers are in the same room, do note each speaker's placement and frequency response will cause these measurements to vary.

Use the main "Play" page in the Arc 2 plug-in to change measurement files. Use the Arc 2 Measurement software outside of your DAW to create these different measurements.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby tedmartin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Someone on the Cubase Forum told me that ARC does not store which correction curve it is using on each buss so it needs to be reset each project is this true? IF so that seems like a real bummer that should be fixed on ARC side.

Here what they said in their post:

"When using ARC with the Control Room: If you use multiple monitors (A, B, C...) you have to insert ARC into the insert slots of all of them individually. Since the connected monitors will most likely require DIFFERENT Corrections in ARC it would be helpful if ARC remembered them after closing Cubase. But it does not.

When you reopen the project, ARC will start to work with just the Monitor A Correction setting on ALL monitor channels. You can change that when having started cubase of course and then it works.

This is annoying and just ARC related. Cubase is not to blame."
tedmartin

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:17 pm

Currently, Arc 2 is designed to only operate on one channel (the Master fader), so multiple instances will not work at this time. Using the one inserted instance on your Master fader, you should be able to quickly swap between measurements when changing your speaker routing set ups.

Moving forward, I do want to say that we do appreciate the interest here and I will make sure to pass this feedback/interest to the rest of the team. We can definitely see how this would be a useful tool in a studio with multiple listening environments.

Stay tuned for updates to Arc 2 in your User Area -> My Products section of your IK Multimedia account (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/) and for future developments from IK in our news letter.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/newsletter/
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools