v1.02 Did not solve Noise Sound Issue Also NOISEY

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

v1.02 Did not solve Noise Sound Issue Also NOISEY

Postby JohnSolo808 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:21 am

I have updated to v1.02 and the sounds still sustain after key has been released. I have confirmed the Sustain Level is 0, I have confirmed with no FX/Delay.

When the volume is all the way up, I can still hear the note.

There is also a LOT of noise when notes are played. I confirmed the Noise Level is at 0, but it sounds like an old 12bit sampler whenever notes are played. Cutoff is at 0 and still comes through. LOTS of floor noise.

Is this a defective unit? Anyone else have the same issue?
JohnSolo808

Re: v1.02 Did not solve Noise Sound Issue Also NOISEY

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Please report this to IK Support so they can verify that you have the correct firmware version and/or that something didn't go wrong during the update. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby egrsrkn » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:09 pm

this background noise comes from the screen
this is an incredible manufacturer error !!!
It's not clear either possible to fix this with a new firmware version
the only way to minimize this noise is as few characters on the screen as possible
click on the octave button and enter 1
or click the scale button

IK guys do something with this!
its ridiculous!
egrsrkn

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm

egrsrkn wrote:this background noise comes from the screen
this is an incredible manufacturer error !!!
It's not clear either possible to fix this with a new firmware version
the only way to minimize this noise is as few characters on the screen as possible
click on the octave button and enter 1
or click the scale button

IK guys do something with this!
its ridiculous!

This is not the normal behavior and I'm sure IK Support can assist you. Please open a ticket at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support if you have not done so already. Thanks!
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby pmunson » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:15 am

I also just "discovered" this noise issue.

I was doing some recording in my DAW, with the UNO connected via USB. In headphones, I could hear a background hum, and it seemed to be related to the screen as user egrsrkn remarked above. I was able to hear a reduction in the hum when I switched to the Octave screen and set it to 1.

However, I believe the problem is ground/USB-related. When I unplugged the USB cable from the computer, and plugged it into a spare phone charger the background noise dropped to zero -- even with the UNO volume at full and the headphone level on my audio interface at maximum.

It's a little annoying to have to use up another plug on my power strip (and also run MIDI via DIN cables) vs. USB but the improved sound quality is worth the hassle.
pmunson

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:13 pm

When connected to a computer or similar via USB there is a higher likelihood for noise of this nature. This is mentioned on the UNO Synth Specs page at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/u ... ynth-specs

*USB power has inherent ground noise, so when connecting the UNO Synth directly to your computer via USB, you may hear more noise and interference than when the synth is connected to a USB wall charger or running via batteries. With the direct computer connection, you can reduce the USB ground noise and other interference by either using a USB isolator or a custom TRS cable into a balanced input on your preamp or audio interface where the ground is not connected at the balanced input side.

There are also wiring diagrams there to help.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dalejason » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:05 pm

I just got an Uno synth on Friday and like others here I hear terrible (frankly unusable) noise, especially, when using a compressor in Ableton.

This was quickly and simply resolved by fitting a Ground Loop Noise Isolator Filter between the output of the Uno and the Mixer. I also use Roland boutique synth's and noise is a well known issue on those too, when daisy chaining the audio through the boutiques and powering them by USB.

For £6.99 it's a relatively cheap an quick fix if you have Amazon Prime :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seatecks-Ground-Isolator-Filter-Speaker-Black/dp/B07KDQT9Z4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1552222843&sr=8-9&keywords=ground+loop+isolator
dalejason

Postby dalejason » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:09 pm

I made a short video to demonstrate the noise issue and how I solved it.
I hope it helps some people :)

https://youtu.be/10aBnquaCUc
dalejason

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:46 pm

In case it was missed, USB bus noise is not unique to UNO Synth and is mentioned on the UNO Synth Specs page (with diagrams, suggestions, etc):
Peter_IK wrote:When connected to a computer or similar via USB there is a higher likelihood for noise of this nature. This is mentioned on the UNO Synth Specs page at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/u ... ynth-specs

*USB power has inherent ground noise, so when connecting the UNO Synth directly to your computer via USB, you may hear more noise and interference than when the synth is connected to a USB wall charger or running via batteries. With the direct computer connection, you can reduce the USB ground noise and other interference by either using a USB isolator or a custom TRS cable into a balanced input on your preamp or audio interface where the ground is not connected at the balanced input side.

Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby 4vientos » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:49 am

I confirm the variable screen noise with usb plugged in. Switching some
parameter between 1 and 0 clearly reveals the wide gap in available noise.
Or put a parameter on 1, and switch to preset 88.

It also appears that the noise does not increase in linear fashion
based on the number of red bars lit up in the display, as preset 100 has 14 bars,
while preset 99 is clearly noisier, despite having only 12 bars, and a setting
of zero, is as loud as a 99, despite having only 6 bars and a decimal point
lit up. So find the least intrusive parameter setting of '1'
for the task at hand. :roll:

As mentioned, the noise vanishes when UNO is hooked up to
a usb phone charger for power. I'll be buying one of those
ground loop filters asap. Thanks dalejason for the video!
4vientos

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:09 pm

It is USB bus noise. See these previously replies:
Peter_IK wrote:In case it was missed, USB bus noise is not unique to UNO Synth and is mentioned on the UNO Synth Specs page (with diagrams, suggestions, etc):
Peter_IK wrote:When connected to a computer or similar via USB there is a higher likelihood for noise of this nature. This is mentioned on the UNO Synth Specs page at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/u ... ynth-specs

Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:16 pm

I use an Ebtech unit in my studio for similar issues with other analog gear, it is an unfortunate byproduct (as you can see also affecting the Roland unit in the video) but luckily there are more cost efficient solutions!
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby 4vientos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:37 am

I believe some usb noise exists, but I'd like a technical explanation
of how and why changing between a 0 and a 1 in the display, can produce
such a large disparity in apparent noise. Technically, what does the screen
have to do with noise on the usb circuits?
Cheers
4vientos

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:40 am

4vientos wrote:I believe some usb noise exists, but I'd like a technical explanation
of how and why changing between a 0 and a 1 in the display, can produce
such a large disparity in apparent noise. Technically, what does the screen
have to do with noise on the usb circuits?
Cheers

That's not normal behavior as far as I can tell. Please report this directly to IK Support so they can provide direct technical support and troubleshooting. Thank you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby exondepot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:46 am

I tried with a USB Y cable.
One side gets power and the other side connects to a PC/Mac.
Hum disappeared (almost) completely.
Hope this tip helps.
Regards
JLP
exondepot

Next

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth