iRig Stomp I/O cable selection to aux in for small gig

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig Stomp I/O cable selection to aux in for small gig

Postby jeepbuff » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Anyone know what would be the choice for hooking the iRig Stomp I/O to a guitar amp with a 3.5 mm aux in?

At home i use my studio speakers with two 1/4" trs cables from the iRig Stomp I/O outs to the studio monitors but what about hooking it up to a guitar amp with an aux in?

I know I can't run it into the instrument input of the amp but as for running into the aux in of the amp, do i get a
dual 1/4" TS to single 3.5 mm TRS cable or a
dual 1/4" TRS to single 3.5 mm TRS?

Or do I just use one channel out of the iRig Stomp I/O with a
single 1/4" TS to single 3.5 mm TS or a
single 1/4" TS to single 3.5 mm TRS or a
single 1/4" TRS to single 3.5 mm TRS or a
single 1/4" TRS to a single 3.5 mm TS?

A little confusing looking at it. Sorry.
jeepbuff

Re: iRig Stomp I/O cable selection to aux in for small gig

Postby redroc.k » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi Bones123, I'd say try a couple of things and see what sounds the best to you.

I'd try 1/4" TRS from the Stomp I/O headphone output to the 3.5mm TRS amp aux input. If you have an 3.5 mm aux cable, there are adapters you could put on one end to get 1/4".

And, I'd 1/4" TS from the Stomp I/O into an effects return on the amp if available, or, why not, into the amp input. It may still sound ok and work for a small gig.
redroc.k

Postby jeepbuff » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. I have already ordered a dual quarter inch TS to a single 3.5 millimeter TRS. It's only a 3 footer so it was cheap and I just wanted to try it before I get a good one.

As for the headphone out, I didn't even think of that. I'll have to try that one too just to satisfy my curiosity.

As for going into the instrument input of the amp, the impedance wont match so that won't be good. I think you need to get some kind of a reaamp box or something like that in order to do that.
jeepbuff

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Hey Guys,

I see a solution is already being tried here, but I figured I would chime in.

The iLine series of cable (Click here) will offer a 'Mono-output Splitter'. This adapter goes from (2X) 6.35mm (1/4") female ports to a (1X) 3.5mm (1/8") male jack. This adapter would be ideal to go from the iRig Stomp I/O unit's 6.35mm (1/4") left and right output directly to your 3.5mm (1/8") amplifier input.

Do note however, the iRig Stomp I/O can go straight into your guitar amplifier's 1/4" guitar input. I would suggest when doing so to go to your amplifier's guitar input from the 6.35mm (1/4") left output.

Hope this helps!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby jeepbuff » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Ryan_IK wrote:Hey Guys,

The iLine series of cable (Click here) will offer a 'Mono-output Splitter'. This adapter goes from (2X) 6.35mm (1/4") female ports to a (1X) 3.5mm (1/8") male jack. This adapter would be ideal to go from the iRig Stomp I/O unit's 6.35mm (1/4") left and right output directly to your 3.5mm (1/8") amplifier input.

Do note however, the iRig Stomp I/O can go straight into your guitar amplifier's 1/4" guitar input. I would suggest when doing so to go to your amplifier's guitar input from the 6.35mm (1/4") left output.

Hope this helps!

Can you elaborate on the iRig stomp IO going into the guitar input on an amplifier? All the research I have done says that it will not sound good and can potentially damage the amp since the line level out of the interface is a stronger signal than what the guitar input receives from a guitar.
jeepbuff

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Bones123 wrote:

Hope this helps!

Can you elaborate on the iRig stomp IO going into the guitar input on an amplifier? All the research I have done says that it will not sound good and can potentially damage the amp since the line level out of the interface is a stronger signal than what the guitar input receives from a guitar.

Hey Bones,

Thanks for your reply.

I can certainly understand where you are coming from. I would suggest to make sure to check your specific amplifiers specifications if you are worried about damaging your gear in anyway.

To elaborate, below are the specifications for the output of the iRig Stomp I/O 6.35mm (1/4") Balanced Line-outputs. From my experience, as long as you keep your 'Volume' knob to the minimum at first you should be okay. In this case, the user's 3.5mm (1/8") AUX input may be a better solution, depending on the signal level this accepts.

Connector: 2x balanced female 1/4" TRS Jack. Tip: hot / Ring: cold / Shield: ground
Maximum Output Level: +13 dBu into 600 Ohms balanced load
Frequency Response: from 10 Hz to 21 kHz (+/- 0.2dB)
Output Dynamic Range: 102 dB(A)
Output Impedance: 150 Ohms balanced
Floating Balanced Outputs
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby jeepbuff » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks Ryan. I'll have to check into that.
jeepbuff

Postby jeepbuff » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:39 pm

Hope this helps!

Ryan, may I ask why you suggest to use the left output? Is there a special reason for this?

I'm just trying to figure some stuff out. I was thinking of getting a 4 x 12 cabinet with an amp head but I was also wondering how to go about using presets that use both signal paths.

Would I be better off just getting some kind of a rack mount power amp to drive the cabinet instead of a normal guitar amp head?
jeepbuff

Postby MetalRyche1981 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:31 am

Sorry to butt in to a thread. I have a Boss Katana 100 212. I just got the iRig 2 with BIAS FX Professional Pack. I was running through the Amps 1/8 AUX and I was getting this high pitched squealing. I didn’t know what was making the squeal so I researched and found similar issues and did all of the requisite fixes. Still the squeal. I have a Charvel Pro Mod So Cal with Seymour Duncan Super Distortions so I thought maybe it was the pick ups. Then I got to messing around in BIAS FX and started fiddling around with the effects. The basic set ups come up with the Compressor amp and speaker cab. I turned off the Compressor the squealing stopped. I just thought I would share this with IK forum. MetalRyche
MetalRyche1981

Return to Interfaces & Controllers