Automating the Leslie [Resolved]

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Re: Automating the Leslie

Postby dnr » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:49 pm

I accept that point Peter. However, surely those issues should have been pinpointed with the Beta testing programme rather than by customers. I agree with you that there is a problem with the Cubase implementation of automation in an insert slot - I haven't been able to get other plugins to work either. Perhaps it should have been pointed out that real time midi automation was not working in Cubase or sorted it out with Steinberg before the Leslie was released.

I am of course aware that customers with Logic have got the Leslie working and I am not saying that it doesn't sound great, but as it stands it is not working as it should in Cubase. I am frustrated as I have literally spent hours on this problem.

You are right that I should give the support team time to sort this out and I will.
dnr

Re: Automating the Leslie

Postby dnr » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:46 pm

IK support sent me the following info to solve the problem I had automation TRacks Leslie as an insert.

• Load Cubase
  • Insert Audio track and load T-racks Leslie and go to the Leslie Cabinet you want to control.
  • Click the Gear button and the bottom and setup the correct MIDI CC# you want to use.
  • Click on the Quick Controls on the lower left of the Cubase Inspector
  • Click the L button to Learn and click the Slow/Fast Switch on the Leslie Cabinet with your mouse.
  • Click the Studio at the top of Cubase and go to Studio Setup > Click on Track Quick Controls
  • Make sure your MIDI device is setup here as Midi input > Under QuickControl1 change the address to the MIDI CC# you need to use. Apply and done.

I might add to this:

However, if you have loaded an instrument track and placed say Blue 3 as your organ front end and TRacks Leslie as the insert you have to load the insert parameter "Speed" replacing the Blue 3 Volume Quick Control parameter or one of the others. You do this by clicking on the Quick Control parameter you want to replace ? scrolling up until you find Ins. And then find the parameter you want. Then follow the steps you have outlined. 

Again you have to make sure there are no conflicting control messages with the Blue 3 which will revert the control. I kept finding myself controlling the Blue 3 volume control. Which I think is where the initial problems I had arose given that I won't be using the Leslie on it's own unless I use it for my guitar. 

So thank you very much to IK support who were very patient with me. I am posting this in case anyone else is having issues automating TRacks Leslie.
dnr

Re: Automating the Leslie [Resolved]

Postby keys7 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi

Just spotted this thread. Just purchased the T-Racks Leslie and I'm having a similar issue, but with a different DAW. I'm trying to use it in Sonar Platinum. To test it, I tried loading Rock Organ preset in DimensionPro VSTi to a track, then loading T-Racks/Leslie into the Audio FX bin of that track. The Leslie FX seems to work, however, I'm unable to use the Mod Wheel on my MIDI controller keyboard to control the Slow/Fast Leslie switch. It works only if I use the mouse. Also I noticed the ModWheel is still controlling the Leslie fx that is built into that organ preset in DimPro. (I think it might actually be controlling both, but not sure on that, because it sounds like both rotary effects are working at once (which sounds terrible!), but I don't visually see the switch in the Leslie plugin moving.)

The posts on this thread are kinda old, is this still an ongoing issue with T-Racks Leslie? If it has been resolved, can someone at IK please tell me how to automate the Leslie in Sonar Platinum? I've contacted IK support a few days ago, but no reply.

Add'l info:
The Leslie plugin FX is listed in Plugin Mgr as both a VST3 Instrument, and a VST3 FX, and it loads as a VST3 Audio effect. In the Plugin Properties the boxes checked are Enable as Plugin, Configure as Temp Based Effect, Enable Delay Comp, Enable mono processing. I also did try changing from Config as Tempo based Effect to Config as Synth, but that didn't seem to work either. I also tried clicking the ACT learn button, then clicking on the rotary switch and moving my ModWheel, but that didn't work either.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
keys7

Postby puranon » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:48 am

VST3 MIDI control doesn't work. VST2 does.
puranon

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:10 am

If the method posted above does not work for you, IK Support need to know (I see one ticket has been opened thank you and they will be with you as soon as possible - please note the holiday currently as the IK offices are closed) and they will resolve the issue and of it is indeed an issue with a version of the plugin they will report this to the developers after recreating the issue from a ticket. Thanks!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby keys7 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:15 am

Puranon..When I installed Leslie I had checked all the boxes to do full install, but I don't see it as a VST2 anywhere in my plugin list, only as VST3.

I didn't open a ticket on this, but I will now, thanks Peter.
keys7

Postby puranon » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:18 pm

Remove the VST3.dll from the system drive.
puranon

Postby puranon » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:23 pm

Peter_IK wrote:If the method posted above does not work for you, IK Support need to know (I see one ticket has been opened thank you and they will be with you as soon as possible - please note the holiday currently as the IK offices are closed) and they will resolve the issue and of it is indeed an issue with a version of the plugin they will report this to the developers after recreating the issue from a ticket. Thanks!

This was reported on release. No way to control the Slow/Fast Leslie speed switch. I saw it explained on this forum within days.
puranon

Postby keys7 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:21 pm

Thanks puranon, if there is no way to control the switch, then what would I benefit from removing the VST3 dll file? I thought of maybe just uninstalling T-Racks 5 altogether and upon re-installing only select VST2 option, if available. Do you think that would work? I also need to check to see if Sonar is scanning the path where the VST2 dll is installed, if one exists. Problem is, I can't remember if I saw VST2 install option when I first installed T-RAcks, but I do know I had all the boxes checked, I didn't un-check any. I have a support ticket in as well. It seems this must be across all DAWs, not just Sonar, cuz the people who posted here are using Cubase, Logic, etc...

Someone on Sonar forum suggested a MIDI filter, which worked to stop the DimPro Organ Plugin from controlling its own rotary effect, but still didn't work for my controller to send switch signal to Leslie. So there was a little hope, but haven't got it yet... Here is thread...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/TRacks-Leslie ... 07697.aspx

Check back here in a few hrs. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
keys7

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:52 pm

Ifnreported to Support please reply to your ticket for a status. If you have not reported you’re issue to support please do so. Otherwise if there is a verifiable big it will get fixed. If. Or reported to support and verified (not here or on a third party forum) it will likely not get fixed as the devs will not get an open bug in their tracking system through those methods.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby keys7 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:32 pm

Yes, I opened a ticket yesterday and I got a confirmation email, they received my ticket. Awaiting response, I realize they are closed today being a holiday. Thank you.
keys7

Postby ccake.mog » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:29 pm

Hi, I have been going round in circles for many weeks now trying to get an external foot pedal to operate the Amplitube 4 Leslie rotary speaker slow/fast function - playing GSi VB3 II Hammond in Logic Pro X trying to use Smart Controls! Got it working once, and then lost it and can't reproduce the settings - would one of you Logic Pro X users who got this working be so kind and provide a clear rundown on how to resolve this issue, it's quite driving me mad now!! No response from IK support! Really grateful for help - thanks a lot!! Carl
ccake.mog

Postby keys7 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:35 am

I'm not using Logic. I haven't had a reply on my support ticket in about two months now. I actually had to open a 2nd ticket because the first one got put in the wrong folder, or so they said, and the 2nd ticket still hasn't gotten a reply, what does that tell you? I gave up waiting for them to either reply or get this resolved. You would think that with so many people having issue with this software that they would at least throw us a bone and say something like.."no worries, we're aware and working on a fix asap"....that would at least give us some hope that there is some form of life at IK support, and hope that the issue will have an update/fix file posted on the IK website for download sometime in the near future. Leaving good customers hanging is just bad business practice imho. Still waiting, and very surprised at IK.
keys7

Postby ccake.mog » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:18 am

Thanks keys7 for your reply - this is all very very frustrating, particularly since I did have it working in Logic.
In Logic Pro X I delete all current mappings, select the first Smart Controls button (marked 'unmapped'), click MIDI Learn and then I click the Leslie slow/fast button on the Amplitube 4 U.I. - nothing happens!!! When I move down to connecting my external foot pedal via 'external MIDI Learn', that does operate the first Smart Controls button I just mapped, so I know my on/off pedal works - but the Leslie slow/fast button won't connect with Smart Controls!!
How long before this gets sorted I.K.???? C
ccake.mog

Postby garfy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:40 am

Hello cake.mog

Sorry you're having issues with this, but in your case you are missing some steps out to reach your goal. Also, this is the T-RackS forum and not AmpliTube which may be where you are getting confused with how to get this working.

In it's default form, AT4 does not report any automation controls to the host DAW as there are just too many of them. In this case you need to assign a parameter number to the control you want to automate so the host can see it. In the case of Logic (version number in my sig) you need to do the following (I'll use a Leslie 122 cab for this example) I know this list includes some of the steps you've taken already, but hopefully it will serve as a guide for other users:

1) Insert AT4 in the plug-in section of the instrument/audio channel
2) Click AUTO in the bottom right-hand corner of AT4. This brings up the list of all parameters to be automated.
3) In the left-hand column, scroll to and highlight the parameter to be automated. In this example it will be: Cab A>Leslie>122>Speed
4) In the centre column, click ADD. The speed parameter will be allocated a PARAM number. In this case PARAM 1. When all parameters required have been mapped, click OK to close the AUTO box.
5) In Logic, open Smart Controls and clear any automatic mappings.
6) Click Parameter Mapping LEARN, select the Smart Control to map to and then click on the control in AT4 GUI, in this case the Speed Control Switch. This will map the switch to the Smart Controller.
7) Deselect Parameter Mapping Learn and select External Assignment Learn. Select the Smart Control for the Speed Switch and then press your foot pedal (or turn the hardware control if applicable).
8) Deselect External Assignment Learn and you should be good to go.

This looks long-winded, but it takes longer to read it than to implement.

Please come back and confirm that this resolved your issues.

For anyone using T-RackS Leslie in Logic Pro X, the method is a little easier as the Leslie already reports automation parameters to the DAW. If you wish to automate/external control T-RackS Leslie you only need to follow instruction 6, 7 and 8.

Hopefully that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

PreviousNext

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox