Automating the Leslie [Resolved]

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Automating the Leslie [Resolved]

Postby dnr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:31 am

I do not seem to be able to find any info on how to automate the Slow/Fast switch with my Keyboard Sustain pedal. There seems to be no midi learn and no info that I can find in the TRacks manual. Any ideas Peter? Oh, it sounds fabulous.
dnr

Re: Automating the Leslie

Postby dnr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:43 pm

I can't believe that I am the only person using the Leslie as a standalone and scratching his head as to how it might be automated. There is nothing in the manual relating automation of the standalone version.
dnr

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks for your post!

Unfortunately, the T-RackS 5 stand-alone software does not support MIDI control at this time. While I will be more than happy to pass your comments and interest in this topic to the correct persons. Keep in mind you can use the 'T-RackS 5 Suite' or the 'T-RackS Leslie' single plug-in inside of your favorite DAW for MIDI/Automation control. These plug-ins will be AAX, AU, VST2, and VST3 compatible.

Also do note,the stand-alone T-RackS 5 software will offer 'Snap Shots'. These can be used to change the speed of your Leslie modules throughout your track or even change through entirely different mastering chains. This can help bring your tracks to life.

Hope this helps!

*This forum for is mainly used for user-to-user contact. For direct Technical Support. Please visit the link below and contact our Technical Support team directly. They will be more than happy to help with any troubles you may have or answer and questions/concerns you have with your IK Multimedia products.*

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby dnr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:24 pm

I noticed your comment about how the Leslie can use automation inside you favourite DAW. In my case Cubase. I was mistaken in my description of "Standalone" as I meant as an insert vst plugin.
I still can see no info as to how to use automation within Cubase or indeed any other DAW. If you could point me to any information this would be useful as at the moment I cannot automate the Leslie.
dnr

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:54 pm

When you can, launch Cubase and try these steps below.

Hope these help!

When using T-RackS Leslie (Single):

-Create a new Project
-Add an Audio Track (Stereo or Mono)
-Under 'Inserts' add the 'TR5 Leslie' plug-in
-Notice in the 'TR5 Leslie' GUI the COG WHEEL symbol at the bottom of your window
-Click this to open the 'MIDI Settings' windows
-Set your preferred MIDI CC messages for the 'Brake' and 'Speed' controls
-Set 'Latch' if necessary and you should be good to go for MIDI control
-Once set up for MIDI control check for your Automation controls by right-clicking your Audio Track
-Select 'Show Automation'
-On the Automation Track which appears (Just below the original audio track) click where 'Volume' is listed to open a drop down menu
-Use the 'More' option to add your 'TR5 Leslie' automatable parameters here
-These parameters can now be selected on this track to be automated

When using T-RackS Suite with the T-RackS Leslie module:

-Create a new project
-Add an Audio Track (Stereo or Mono)
-Under 'Inserts' add the 'TR5 Suite'
-Inside the 'TR5 Suite' add the 'Leslie' module
-Once added use the 'Automation' icon (This looks like some 'nodes' on an automation 'line') at the bottom of your window
-Notice here you have all available controls of the 'Leslie' module in the 'TR5 Suite'
-Use 'Add' to add these to your available 16 automatable parameters
-Once all assignments are set up in this window right click your Audio Track and select 'Show Automation'
-Notice these controls now appear for you in the Automation drop-down menu where your Track Volume, Pan, and other automatable parameters are listed
-Select these to edit the automation for these controls
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby dnr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:31 pm

Thank you very much Ryan.

I will work with this tomorrow and get back to you. I have managed to automate my part after playing using the mouse. I have to say it sounds bloody good. Well done to the team.
dnr

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:39 pm

dnr wrote:I have to say it sounds bloody good. Well done to the team.
I almost left the dupe post to have this stated twice ;)

Seriously, though, thank you and I'll relay the compliments to the team.

*Peter's emphasis via size
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dnr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:41 pm

Year well my internet dropped out as I was doing the first post - that's what comes of living in the countryside. Thanks anyway.
dnr

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:47 pm

But there are also some great benefits to living in the countryside, I am sure :)
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dnr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 pm

No neighbours and I can be as loud as I like.
dnr

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:56 am

dnr wrote:No neighbours and I can be as loud as I like.

Indeed! I live in a city, but the house is only me and my family so I can do the same. I've cranked things to where I wasn't comfortable and still had legal decibel levels outside of the house. Thank goodness for small blessings like these, eh?
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dnr » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 am

I should have added "when my wife allows it".
dnr

Postby dnr » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:57 pm

I am a bit frustrated here as neither of the suggested methods allow me to control the Leslie speed control with a pedal. The sustain pedal or the mod wheel.

I can automate after the fact writing in the automation. It is not the same as operating when playing. Why is it so difficult to implement a midi learn that works? Because it sure doesn't work in Cubase 9.5. Or should I qualify that - I can't get it to work. Any ideas?
dnr

Postby f.staal » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:27 am

Ryan_IK wrote:Unfortunately, the T-RackS 5 stand-alone software does not support MIDI control at this time. While I will be more than happy to pass your comments and interest in this topic to the correct persons. Keep in mind you can use the 'T-RackS 5 Suite' or the 'T-RackS Leslie' single plug-in inside of your favorite DAW for MIDI/Automation control. These plug-ins will be AAX, AU, VST2, and VST3 compatible.

When will it support MIDI control? To me it is kinda useless without MIDI control as it means I cannot use it live! I admit it sounds great, but I do need to be able to push the pedal and have it go fast... (and have it slow down when I let go obviously).
f.staal

Postby puranon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:24 am

AFAIK Leslie Cabinet setups are not normally tweaked during live performances or recordings.

Regardless, this may be a still good time to standardize a flexible MIDI control system between Leslie and MODO.
puranon

Next

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox