Syntronik Polyphony - and other Questions.

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Syntronik Polyphony - and other Questions.

Postby f_weldon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:55 am

Hello,

I have a few questions to ask about Syntronik.

1). I have Syntronik (I purchased the: USB drive/boxed version), and I would like to know the Polyphony? i.e.: How many tones/notes can it produce simultaneously (how many notes can sound at once?)

I cannot find it in the manual! - Notes are intermittently broken (notes splutter and stutter) - for example: When I play M7(9) Chords.

2). I bought Syntronik after trying out the free version (I was very impressed!)... However, after receiving the: USB drive/boxed version - my serial number (which I received with the: USB drive/boxed version) is not the same as the serial number of my product - it is totally different!

...When I 'Authorised' the, 'Authorization Manager' - I expected to see my 'Serial Number' that came with the: USB drive/boxed version - but, instead it has given me a totally different serial number - *WEIRD* - However, it is still working.

For example: When I go to: My Products/Serials/Authorizations

The Serial Number I have at present (Authorization Manager), is attributed to: *SYNTRONIK FREE* :? incidentally, when I go to: My Products, Syntronik/Serials/Authorizations, (THE ONE I PAYED FOR!) the listed SERIAL NUMBER is the same as what came with the: USB drive/boxed version

I find that strange! Surely my Authorisation Manager should show the serial number I received with the: USB drive/boxed version?

3). I have been having trouble with Syntronik - not retaining settings - (every time I save a song and come back next morning - everything I have done has not saved.)

I was wondering if the ‘serial number mix-up’ maybe exacerbating the problem?

When I first received Syntronik I wasn’t overly concerned about saving anything at-the-time, because I wanted to familiarise myself with the sounds.

But now I want to save - nothing is saving correctly; i.e.: Syntronik settings are not being retained in my Sessions!

I am having a lot of trouble with this plug-in at-the-moment - and I would appreciate some help

Thanks

Fran
Last edited by f_weldon on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f_weldon

Re: Syntronik Polyphony - and other Questions.

Postby garfy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi Fran

1) Good question. I don’t have a definitive answer but it should be able to playback vastly more notes than what you are having problems with. I’ve just played a Cmaj7(9) chord on a 4-part layer, so essentially 20 notes, without trouble. Have you tried adjusting any latency settings to see if that makes a difference? Also, is this in standalone or in a DAW (or both)?

2) Erm…yeah, same here. Never noticed that before. It works so never questioned it! The only thing I can think of is that the Syntronik ‘player’ is the same whether you have the free or paid for versions and the other serial numbers relate to the instrument/sound files, if that makes sense.

3) Sorry, I haven’t experienced that problem in LogicPro X. Everything saves with the project and comes back the same. What DAW and OS are you on? Maybe someone with a similar set-up can replicate this.

The best thing to suggest would be to open a support request with the IKM techs so they can give you some specific help http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby f_weldon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Hello, again :)

Could somebody out there who is familiar with Syntronik, please give me a step-by-step account of: ''How to save a song featuring Syntronik?

Please be as 'graphic as-you-can' - I would appreciate it, (similar to how Technical Writers develop, edit and format material.)

Thanks again

Fran

I have Pt 12.8.3, btw.

On a final note.

In my products area it shows:

AmpliTube Custom Shop
Latest version: 4.3
Released on:08-30-2017

SampleTank Custom Shop
Latest version: 3.7.1
Released on:11-20-2017

T-RackS 5 Custom Shop
Latest version: 5.0.1
Released on:11-22-2017

T-RackS Custom Shop
Latest version: 4.10
Released on:05-17-2016

Are these Plug-ins FREE, or have I got to buy them? - I was just expecting to see Syntronik only :?

Thanks
Last edited by f_weldon on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f_weldon

Postby f_weldon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Really... no one! :(

Because in the manual: 4.6/Saving Instruments/page 42 - it is not apparent what you have to do (this needs to be explained better!), so please - could somebody answer my questions.

Manuals need to very specific :geek: ! I just need an example from a Syntronik user and an answer to my other question.

I need to understand the relevant process of saving a song to determine any appropriate corrective actions :ugeek:.

Best regards ;)

F
f_weldon

Postby garfy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 am

f_weldon wrote:Because in the manual: 4.6/Saving Instruments/page 42 - it is not apparent what you have to do (this needs to be explained better!), so please - could somebody answer my questions.

The instructions shown in the user guide 4.6/page 42 tell you how to save your own presets i.e. once you have adapted an instrument (sound) to your liking, you can save it as a preset (with its own name and search keywords) so it is available to you every time you open Syntronik, either as standalone or within a DAW.

f_weldon wrote:Could somebody out there who is familiar with Syntronik, please give me a step-by-step account of: ''How to save a song featuring Syntronik?

This is an action of your DAW, not of Syntronik itself. In the case of all DAWs that I have used, the song/project should save everything whenever you ‘Save’ or ‘Save As..’ which would include Syntronik at its current state.

If your DAW is not saving Syntronik correctly, then this could be a problem with Syntronik and so opening a ticket with Support http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/ would be a good idea. Equally, it could be an issue with your DAW and so contacting the manufacturer would be a next step as well.

As for the question regarding the AmpliTube, SampleTank and T-Racks Custom Shops - yes, this is free software. Essentially they work on different levels: they can be viewed as demo versions to try before you buy or as a means to add-on or demo certain things from the Custom Shop. Once these ‘Free’ versions are authorised, hence them being in your Products area, they are fully functional (no annoying hiss, no time outs etc).

Hope that helps.
garfy

Postby f_weldon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your response. :D

First of all I would like to draw your attention to my sentence:

‘’I need to understand the relevant process of saving a song to determine any appropriate corrective actions’’

What I should have wrote was:

‘’I need to understand the relevant process of saving a song (which would include Syntronik at its current state) to determine any appropriate corrective actions.’’

Because - in general - I know how to save a song (Save or Save As). ‘I guess’ my original sentence ‘came-out’ as being too ‘generic’ - but, you can see how easily my original sentence could/can be misinterpreted - if you ‘get my drift.’

…Anyway - these are the ‘set-of-instructions’ (verbatim) I have been given by [Mod Edit: removed name] - an IK Multimedia representative:

[Mod Edit: removed - please see Forum Rules: "Posting of ANY direct correspondence between you (or other parties) and IK Multimedia including (but not limited to) email conversations, technical support correspondence, customer service/contact form information."]
Summarised as: please send a problem project file, screenshots and the Syntronik Multi.

'' Yeah I know right… hmmmm? ''

…Anyway - what I have gathered from: his instructions, were 2 points - these being:

* Go to Multi

* Save as

For example: The ’Save Multi’ Window is displayed: Name/Folder, etc. (In this example I named the Multi as: ‘Paradigm’ - and the Folder is Syntronik.)

Now I have ‘Paradigm’ as a user preset - Good! So now I go to File/Save As/Name.

When I load the song up again, Syntronik has not retained settings (AAAHHH!), :evil: However, because I have named my Custom Multi Preset as: ‘Paradigm’ - I click that - and *Hey Presto* - Syntronik Settings have been retained (oh the sheer joy!) :D

So, What I want to ask is:

* Is this the process I have to implement for retaining Syntronik settings?

* Do I have to double-click my Custom Preset each time - for this to take effect?

The thing is… Originally, I was creating sounds on the layers (A, B, C, D) - and once I was happy with the ‘way things sounded’ *THEN* I would go to: File/Save As/Name - but, this process never seemed to retain the settings.

However, it seems that the: ‘Multi Process’ [does] (even though I have to double click *Paradigm* again - because, when I load up my song - it does not retain settings - only when I double click my *Custom Preset* (Paradigm - in this example)

Obviously, once the ‘Multi Process’ is completed - I still go to: File/Save As/Name.

Please tell me if this is the correct procedure to implement changes/settings in the Syntronik environment? i.e.: The ‘Multi Process’ (as described above) - even though I have to double click *Paradigm* again - in my loaded song for it to work correctly?

And is it necessary to double click: *Paradigm* again - in my loaded song for it to work correctly?

Regards

F
f_weldon

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:34 pm

No, In my DAWs I just change the settings in Syntronik then save the project file in my DAW. When I re-open the project all the Syntronik settings are still there.

But, I get the impression from this part of your post:
The thing is… Originally, I was creating sounds on the layers (A, B, C, D) - and once I was happy with the ‘way things sounded’ *THEN* I would go to: File/Save As/Name - but, this process never seemed to retain the settings.

that it does not work in Pro Tools. Or have I misunderstood? Do those steps work OK for other instrument plug-ins in your projects?

* Do I have to double-click my Custom Preset each time - for this to take effect?
Please see above. Sometimes I do save my Syntronik settings as a preset. THen I can load it at any time in any other project using Syntronik, witohut going back to the original project.

It sounds like you have found a temporary workaround, but you should not have to do that. I would go back to support with the details that you posted above.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby garfy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Ok, now we’re getting somewhere. And unfortunately we’re victims of trying to diagnose a problem that we can’t see, or discuss in real time, being as we are in the ether…

From what I can gather, you are creating a ‘Multi’ (not an instrument, so 4.6/Saving Instruments/page 42 is moot at this point). You are experiencing problems with your PT session not saving the Multi as part of the project, but you can save the Multi as a preset. What Support has asked you to do is a perfect first fault finding exercise. By sending him those 2 files he will be able to test them on known systems and come up with next steps.

So, to answer your questions directly:

f_weldon wrote:* Is this the process I have to implement for retaining Syntronik settings?

Obviously, once the ‘Multi Process’ is completed - I still go to: File/Save As/Name.

Please tell me if this is the correct procedure to implement changes/settings in the Syntronik environment? i.e.: The ‘Multi Process’ (as described above) - even though I have to double click *Paradigm* again - in my loaded song for it to work correctly?

And is it necessary to double click: *Paradigm* again - in my loaded song for it to work correctly?

Currently, yes. You will have to save the Multi as a preset and when you reopen your session you will need to call up the preset before you continue to work on your song. Remember, if you change any parameters within the Multi, you will need to re-save it. If nothing changes, irrespective of what else happens in the PT session, you won’t. Hopefully though, this is all a workaround.

I have just tested in my system (details in sig) and whenever I save a Logic project, Syntronik’s current state is saved as part of it, both single instruments and Multis, irrespective of whether I save them as presets within Syntronik itself or not. This suggests that your issue is caused by i) your specific installation of Syntronik ii) a fault with integration with ProTools iii) something else in your system. Some of these factors can be mitigated by Support after he tests the files you have sent through to him.

Hopefully this will be resolved now Support are on the case.

Good luck.
garfy

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

@ garfy: good advice, until the Save problem is resolved.

@ f_weldon:
PS Those 4 "Custom Shop" products that you listed are FREE; they are (generally) fully-functional editions of the paid-for products, but with fewer gear models, instruments or FX. After download / installation they will need authorisation through the Authorization Manager; the Serial Numbers is in the User Area / My Products section too.

You can use them fully and for ever and try out or buy additional gear / instruments / FX through the separate Custom Shop program.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby garfy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 pm

@DarkStar: I think we must have been cross-posting (brilliant minds etc) ;)
garfy

Postby f_weldon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:11 pm

As 'DarkStar' so aptly 'put it.'
But, I get the impression from this part of your post: that it does not work in Pro Tools. Or have I misunderstood? Do those steps work OK for other instrument plug-ins in your projects?

Hi, I have a substantial array of plug-ins etc. And they work PERFECTLY - every one of them - except Syntronik!

No, In my DAWs I just change the settings in Syntronik then save the project file in my DAW. When I re-open the project all the Syntronik settings are still there.

I'm afraid the process listed above from 'DarkStar' does not work!

...Also CC numbers... Do I have to have a MIDI controller to move a knob, slider or button on the Synth Panel? Or can I just write it in?

For example: On my other Plug-ins I have controller lanes - and I just call the relevant (CC) Number - within the plug-in - and I can control all of the parameters, e.g. (CC74) brightness (aka: Filter c/o) or (CC11) expression etc. etc. I do not need a MIDI controller!

Do I actually need a keyboard to i/p data - or can I write it in?
f_weldon

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:20 pm

I'm out of ideas. Did you go back to Support for some more help?

CC control - no, you do not need a hardware MIDI controller. Syntronik uses MIDI Learn - right-click the knob / slider, select "MIDI learn" then send the MIDI CC message from your host. Have a look at the Syntronik User Manual 4.7.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby f_weldon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi,

Syntronik uses MIDI Learn - right-click the knob / slider, select "MIDI learn" then send the MIDI CC message from your host. Have a look at the Syntronik User Manual 4.7.

What if I haven't got a MIDI Controller/Keyboard? Thats what I am asking :?:

Which brings me back to:

For example: it seems I'm 'pretty much screwed' - if I do not possess an external MIDI Module/MIDI Controller/Keyboard -''Doesn't it'' :?:

Am I right to assume this :?: :shock:

Thanks

btw - I have sent MIDI Session Files of Syntronik to IK Multimedia. Fingers crossed :|
f_weldon

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:10 pm

f_weldon wrote:Hi,
Syntronik uses MIDI Learn - right-click the knob / slider, select "MIDI learn" then send the MIDI CC message from your host. Have a look at the Syntronik User Manual 4.7.

What if I haven't got a MIDI Controller/Keyboard? Thats what I am asking :?:

That's why I said "send the MIDI CC message from your host" - I do not know your DAW host so cannot advise you how to do that.

f_weldon wrote:Which brings me back to:

For example: it seems I'm 'pretty much screwed' - if I do not possess an external MIDI Module/MIDI Controller/Keyboard -''Doesn't it'' :?:

Am I right to assume this :?: :shock:

Thanks

NO, you do not need an external hardware MIDI controller. YES, you can write the MIDI CC data into a MIDI item (again, exactly how, depends on your host).

f_weldon wrote:btw - I have sent MIDI Session Files of Syntronik to IK Multimedia. Fingers crossed :|
Support may need a complete problem project file, saved from your host, to see why the Syntronik settings are not saved.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby f_weldon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:51 am

Hello friend, :oops:

Its all good :D when it comes to CC numbers - and I have always known how to implement and apportion the CC numbers to specific switches/knobs (on Vi's) etc. i.e.: p(43)_4.7.3 – Edit MIDI Assignments.

I was just stating: '' It seems I'm 'pretty much screwed' - if I do not possess an external MIDI Module/MIDI Controller/Keyboard. '' (especially, when writing-in complex chord arrangements, etc.) :lol:

Thanks 8-)
Last edited by f_weldon on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
f_weldon

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More