Lurssen VU meters calibrated to __?

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

Lurssen VU meters calibrated to __?

Postby Jakeboy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:11 pm

I use LRS to master my music as a stand alone. I have made the assumption that 0=-18 or -20 dB.
I think That is incorrect.

Does anyone know what level the meters are calibrated to?

Also, what level should I shoot for in mastering? I know I need to be consistent across the album to have similar volume levels, but shouldnthat be 0? -5?

Without knowing the cal levels of the meter, it is difficult to lock this down.

I do love this product though.

Thanks!

Mark
Jakeboy

Re: Lurssen VU meters calibrated to __?

Postby soundog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Lack of useful standardized metering is one of the shortcomings of this plug-in. You can always add metering before and after, but that's a workaround. A big shortcoming is the inability to bypass the limiter, and also to bypass the EQ. Other than that, the plug-in sounds nice, but it comes up short for pro work. OK for quick stuff or demos.
soundog

Postby Jakeboy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:05 pm

I have determined that 0=-20db in my DAW equals out to -10db on Lurssen’s VU Meters.

0 on the Lurssen VU meter is very hot and is causing the processors to really work hard and that greatly affects the sound. I like using meters but it is very important for me to master with my ears and I find myself pushing the compressor threshold up more and more to minimize the compression, unless I am going old-school and keeping the volume low.

Taking a mix to 0 on the Lurssen VU meter with the threshold low adds too much compression for me. I am mastering closer to -5 on that meter as lots of classic rock tracks that I have imported show up in that range. I wish I would have figured this out last year....:(
Jakeboy

Postby Jakeboy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Can anyone from IK give a definitive answer to what the VU meters in Lurssen are calibrated to? As in 0=?

I wish they would have used RMS meters but this will be fine if I know the level on the meter.

Please help, IK!
Jakeboy

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:14 pm

I would recommend consulting the technical staff at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/ for precise information like that about how the software is made.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools