Modo drums stereo cymbals

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Modo drums stereo cymbals

Postby KlausWalker77 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:03 pm

I want to un-pan the crashes and the hi-hat, I want them in the center and it seems possible in the mixer panel but whatever I do with the pan controls they still sound stereo. Is there a way to do this?
KlausWalker77

Re: Modo drums stereo cymbals

Postby BWC333 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:02 pm

Stereo cymbal samples bother me too. It's unnatural (to recording) and limiting (in mixing). Fine if some like it, but a mono cymbals option would be good.

Also, related issue, on the free studio kit, the 18" cymbal sounds higher than the 16". I understand that thickness also matters, but they're positioned as I would by size, but opposite how I would by pitch. And the MIDI triggers the 16" from low and the 18" from high. This, plus the fact that they're stereo samples, and with overheads and room to also consider, is making it confusing and difficult to get the image I want.
BWC333

Postby KlausWalker77 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:19 pm

I'd at least like cymbals a little closer to the center. They sound at least 90% panned.

And I know exactly what you mean. I also have issues with cymbals most of the time. They don't sound equal usually. You have to adjust decay, room and volume parameters for each of them in every drum set. Just like the rest of the kit pieces as well. Then you might get the sound you want. But it's exhausting a bit.

Edit: Maybe you can try tuning crashes to get the sound you want
KlausWalker77

Postby BWC333 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:09 pm

Yep, tried tuning, no good. I have to go too far to get reversal of pitch, and it doesn't sound natural at those extremes.

I don't mind having to adjust all those other parameters (I like the flexibility), but trying to swap sides when the cymbals are pre-panned stereo samples (that also affect all those other parameters) is when things all get a bit too messy.
BWC333

Postby KlausWalker77 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:34 pm

How about the extra 3rd and the 4th crashes, maybe you can enable one of them instead of whichever one(right-left) sounds bad.
KlausWalker77

Postby BWC333 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:24 pm

I appreciate you trying to help, but that's not what I want. What I want is to have this fixed, otherwise I'm moving on to another drum plugin. I don't want to have to swap all the cymbals in my MIDI, or to add additional cymbals to the kit (probably panned even wider), or any other workarounds. The larger cymbal, on the right (drummer pers.), should sound lower, and be triggered by the GM Low Crash, or I should be able to easily swap the positions of the two. I have several IK products, and was hoping they'd fill my drum needs too, but maybe not.
BWC333

Postby KlausWalker77 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:53 pm

I've been using Modo for a very short time but I find it much better than ezdrummer 2, especially the UI. [mod redacted - please review the rules]
KlausWalker77

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS