SAMPLETANK4 CRASHING in Bitwig 4.4

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

SAMPLETANK4 CRASHING in Bitwig 4.4

Postby Warren P » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:24 am

I have Bitwig 4.4 (windows and mac machines) and have been testing out SampleTank now that I bought the TotalStudio Max product. Installation was pretty easy given how monstrously huge (how many hundreds of gigabytes of content? Wow.) it was.

However the biggest instrument in the TotalStudio bundle, SampleTank 4 is not stable. It crashes whenever I load new presets or multis.

Thanks to bitwig's resiliency, you can restart the plugin host without losing your project work but it still seems like there's probably a SampleTank4 bug.

Warren
Warren P

Re: SAMPLETANK4 CRASHING in Bitwig 4.4

Postby DarkStar » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:28 pm

Other users may chip in with suggestions.

Meanwhile, as this is not a company Support forum, the best thing to do is contact Technical Support via the IKM web site, for some one to one diagnosis and help. Search the FAQs first, as there may be relevant results. After that, you should see a [Contact Support] button at the bottom of the page, linking you to the Support form.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Warren P » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:18 am

Thanks I will. I've tested this on Windows and Mac and both are quite crashy crashy.
Warren P

Postby ChrisHeinen » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:42 pm

Was thinking about Bitwig as it looks sweet. Did the crashing of ST4 get resolved?
ChrisHeinen

Postby pashaDog » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:35 am

Hello, I too just purchased SampleTank 4 Max. Been using SampleTank 3 for years. I've opened SampleTank in both Cantabile (VST Host) and Ableton Live 11. It crashed both. Anyone else experience this?

Thank you
pashaDog

Postby ChrisHeinen » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:17 pm

Warren P wrote:Thanks I will <contact support>. I've tested this on Windows and Mac and both are quite crashy crashy.

Is your ST4 crash issue solved or is it still a "work in progress" being diagnosed? :?:
ChrisHeinen

Postby GeraldGrestenberger » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:56 pm

Warren P wrote:I have Bitwig 4.4 (windows and mac machines) and have been testing out SampleTank now that I bought the TotalStudio Max product. Installation was pretty easy given how monstrously huge (how many hundreds of gigabytes of content? Wow.) it was.

However the biggest instrument in the TotalStudio bundle, SampleTank 4 is not stable. It crashes whenever I load new presets or multis.

Thanks to bitwig's resiliency, you can restart the plugin host without losing your project work but it still seems like there's probably a SampleTank4 bug.

Warren

Same for me here (Bitwig 4.4 & Sampletank4) on macOS Ventura ...
GeraldGrestenberger

Postby Warren P » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:31 am

No response from IK Multimedia support.

Still crashing
Warren P

Postby ChrisHeinen » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:21 pm

Warren P wrote:No response from IK Multimedia support.

Still crashing

Does it crash when you put an instance of the ST4 VST on a track (before an instrument is assigned to a part)? Or does it crash after you browse for an instrument once ST4 is running as a VST?
ChrisHeinen

Postby Warren P » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:32 pm

It has not crashed yet when added to the track.

There are many ways to get it to crash.

1. Add a preset into a part. (Often crashes just loading the preset).

2. Play midi notes and hold them for a few seconds. A chord for instance. Repeat about 5 times. Note that the playing notes often stop before you release the note. After it does this a few times the entire DAW crashes. Happens on all kinds of different instruments in ST4. Tried over 100, and all crash, some may take longer than others but they all crash.

3. Record a midi part and then play it back. The DAW crashes.

4. Copy a midi clip into the track and play the track. The Daw crashes.

Have now reproduced this in several different DAWs and on windows 10 and on mac os ventura.
Warren P

Postby Warren P » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:46 am

I HAVE FOUND A WORKAROUND.

I believe the issue is that SampleTank is receiving certain MIDI CC messages and is crashing only when those MIDI CC messages come in, involving midi CC 10, 11, 70-80.

Some set of midi CC values coming in on those values appears to be required for me to reproduce the crashing.

In some DAWs like CUBASE you can set up global filtering. Try filtering all MIDI ccs in the range of 10,11,70-80 out.

On bitwig you can create a note grid device which can block all midi CCs and place them in front of sample tank. like this:

Bitwig 4.4 preset for this midi CC filter:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pcaKyd ... sp=sharing
(.bwpreset, zipped)
Warren P

Postby Warren P » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:18 pm

IK IS RESPONDING to my support requests and is investigating the issue.

Previously thought they hadn't responded but the report I tried to do in february must not have posted to their system, which means everything is working FINE with the support request system.

PRO TIP: if you do a submit online and don't get a case # email, the submit didn't work, wait a few hours for the email and then submit again.
Warren P

Postby ChrisHeinen » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:21 pm

Warren P wrote:PRO TIP: if you do a submit online and don't get a case # email, the submit didn't work, wait a few hours for the email and then submit again.

Good to know. Also, I noticed that when a case number is assigned, that the email that has the case number wants one to reply to that email, and not open a second ticket, and that further email correspondence is to continue replying with that email "thread" grouping. :idea:
ChrisHeinen

Postby Warren P » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:53 am

There may also be problems with SampleTank using non-primary hard drive for content. Hopefully there is a way to get SampleTank stable using a secondary or external hard drive, especially if it's a very fast thunderbolt or USB4 ssd.
Warren P

Postby Warren P » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:19 pm

Looks like the fastest way to stability is to basically delete all the CONTENT and reinstall cleanly.

Something had gone wrong in all the giant pile of installs of content.
Warren P

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More