Using the Tonex Pedal as an Amplitube interface

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Using the Tonex Pedal as an Amplitube interface

Postby MalBurn22 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:08 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Tonex and Amplitube having recently bought the new Tonex Pedal and as a result have also acquired the Tonex Max and Amplitube 5 software.

I'm trying to use the Tonex Pedal as a usb interface and would greatly appreciate any help.

Could someone advise, is there is a way, to send a dry signal from the Tonex pedal usb output, to Amplitube 5?
After a lot of fiddling about with the Asio driver, I suspect the answer is no, but I'd appreciate those much more knowledgeable to chip in.

Many thanks!
MalBurn22

Re: Using the Tonex Pedal as an Amplitube interface

Postby MalBurn22 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:24 pm

I managed to find out setting the Interface usb option in the Tonex Pedal to "Dual" solves my problem and now I have both effected and dry outputs. Awesome!
MalBurn22

Postby Auzzie74 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:08 pm

How do i get to settings?
Auzzie74

Postby MalBurn22 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:32 pm

Auzzie74 wrote:How do i get to settings?

Hold down the Model (select) knob until you see "Preset Setup" on the display, scroll right using the Model knob until you see "Global Setup". Quick press the Model knob and the display should say "NAMING" scroll right using the Model knob until you come to "OPERATION", quick press the Model knob and you'll have two options "Live" or "Interface", choose "Interface".

Quick press the Preset knob to get back to "OPERATION". Scroll right using the Model knob to "USB" quick press the Model knob and choose "Dual"

Your Tonex Pedal is now set as a usb audio interface, channel 1 is the "wet" signal, channel 2 is "dry" set your DAW or Tonex inputs for the desired wet or dry signal.

If later using the Pedal live again, reset the interface to "LIVE"
MalBurn22

Postby MalBurn22 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:15 pm

Your Welcome...
MalBurn22

Postby dnr » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:51 pm

MalBurn22 wrote:

Hold down the Model (select) knob until you see "Preset Setup" on the display, scroll right using the Model knob until you see "Global Setup". Quick press the Model knob and the display should say "NAMING" scroll right using the Model knob until you come to "OPERATION", quick press the Model knob and you'll have two options "Live" or "Interface", choose "Interface".

Quick press the Preset knob to get back to "OPERATION". Scroll right using the Model knob to "USB" quick press the Model knob and choose "Dual"

Your Tonex Pedal is now set as a usb audio interface, channel 1 is the "wet" signal, channel 2 is "dry" set your DAW or Tonex inputs for the desired wet or dry signal.

Thanks for this explanation. However I am finding the Operation comes up too quickly sometimes to catch. I eventually did, but I have not worked out how to get the reverb on one output and dry on the other. Perhaps you could explain again?
Thanks.
dnr

Postby MalBurn22 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:58 pm

Yes, the Model knob is quite sensitive, generally I find the controls a little too aggressive, but you get used to it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the reverb.
If you asking how to add reverb to an amp model, you hold down the Parameter knob until you see a green ALT symbol appear on the main display. After that turn the knob that has Reverb marked Under the knob.

Once Reverb has been added, it should be heard on the USB output 1 along with the amp model the Tonex Pedal is running. Output 2 will be completely dry, no amp, no reverb.

Hope that answers your question
MalBurn22

Postby dnr » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:33 pm

MalBurn22 wrote:Quick press the Preset knob to get back to "OPERATION". Scroll right using the Model knob to "USB" quick press the Model knob and choose "Dual"

I was hoping to be able to have the left output dry and just the Reverb on the right output. I am assuming that selectin Dual output would facilitate that?
dnr

Postby MalBurn22 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:56 pm

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the reverb when activated(and the other effects compression, noise gate) is then baked in with the amp model. Think of it as an unsaved preset.

You can't use the Reverb, or the other effects as standalone effects, as there doesn't appear to be a way to turn off the amp in the patch. At least if there is I can't find it.
MalBurn22

Postby dnr » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:12 pm

MalBurn22 wrote:Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the reverb when activated(and the other effects compression, noise gate) is then baked in with the amp model. Think of it as an unsaved preset.

You can't use the Reverb, or the other effects as standalone effects, as there doesn't appear to be a way to turn off the amp in the patch. At least if there is I can't find it.

Ahhh! I guess that is my answer. So I will have to create a track in my DAW with a reverb set to 100% reverb and use the track volume as a mix.

Thank you for clarifying that.

It is a shame that you cannot edit the pedal through the librarian, or have I missed somthing here?
dnr

Postby MalBurn22 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:14 pm

Could you not just use the bundled AmpliTube 5 (A5) software in your DAW as a plug in on that track and use the reverbs and mix controls in A5?
You can turn the amp off in the A5 patch no problem.

Yes, in Tonex, it does seem odd that you can have access to the amp controls in Player mode for the Tonenet amps, but can't control the pedal in librarian.
Hopefully the software will evolve in future updates
MalBurn22

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:50 pm

The Librarian is a librarian, not an editor. Requests to have a full editor have been relayed to the team but at this time you need to connect the TONEX Pedal to your computer to transfer presets to and from the pedal so you can edit your tones in the software while the pedal is connected and then transfer the updated presets to the pedal at this time.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby MalBurn22 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:39 pm

Peter_IK wrote:The Librarian is a librarian, not an editor. Requests to have a full editor have been relayed to the team but at this time you need to connect the TONEX Pedal to your computer to transfer presets to and from the pedal so you can edit your tones in the software while the pedal is connected and then transfer the updated presets to the pedal at this time.

Hi Peter, thank you for that.

Is there a way to save adjustments to a ToneNet Tone Model, before sending it to the Tonex Pedal?
I usually find I can get a preferred tone from the Tonenet Tone Models adjusting them to my taste, using the Tonex software controls in Player mode.
However, if I then transfer the Tone Model to the pedal, only the original settings and IR the creator made make it through.

That wouldn't be the end of the world, but I've found that on the pedal, I often do not have the same IRs as in the Tonex Software and so cannot recreate my edits. Plus after a editing session, I forget what the cab was sometimes! lol
If the Tone Model with adjustments could be saved as a Preset before transfer, that would be fantastic. Maybe I'm missing the steps to do this?
MalBurn22

Postby Farko@63 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 am

MalBurn22 wrote:I managed to find out setting the Interface usb option in the Tonex Pedal to "Dual" solves my problem and now I have both effected and dry outputs. Awesome!

Nice !
Farko@63

Postby waltiti » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:02 am

Hello, thanks for the explanation, Im super new to this digital stuff, and all of this is like a new language for me.

Okay, I put the pedal board in interface and dual... usb1 and usb2 , channel 1 channel 2 ( dry )

how do you select/switch channel 1 or channel 2... in Tonex software or Tonex pedal or Windows? how do you switch?

I was using it doing a bypass in the pedal by pressing the active tone footswitch in the pedal.

But, if I remove the bypass to hear tones from the pedal, sometimes I hear two tones.

But this looks better, Sometimes I want to hear only the tones saved in the ToneX pedal banks to tweak, and sometimes the stuff from ToneNet or Collection, tweaks first and moves to the pedal later.

Please advise.
Thanks.
Walt

MalBurn22 wrote:

waltiti

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling