How long is the SampleTank 4 sound content installation?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

How long is the SampleTank 4 sound content installation?

Postby Metallica93 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:05 am

Just wanted to see if I could get a quick answer before taking this to the support team.

SampleTank 4's sound content installation process has been stuck at 67% for several hours now. I don't see the hard drive's free space decreasing, either. How long is this supposed to take?

The Total Studio 3.5 MAX "Getting Started" .pdf seems to indicate that SampleTank 4, SampleTron 2, Syntronik 2, and Miroslav Philharmonik 2 all use the same sound content library, so I just created a single directory location for them (i.e., D:\Music\V.S.T. Plug-Ins\Sound Content Library). I went into each program and changed the directory to that path, just in case. I started up the installation process from the 3.5 MAX U.S.B. flash drive, but Miroslav Philharmonik 2 didn't have a sound content folder in there; SampleTank 3, SampleTron 2, and Syntronik 2 all seemed to have installed properly.

Also of note, I right-clicked each of the four sound content folders on the flash drive to see how large they were. SampleTank 3, SampleTron 2, and Syntronik 2 all have their original file sizes (~112, ~8, and ~80 GB, respectively). SampleTank 4's file size was well over 200 GB, last I checked. Now? File Explorer is showing it at around 12.

No idea what's going on.
Metallica93

Re: How long is the SampleTank 4 sound content installation?

Postby Metallica93 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:41 am

I put in a support ticket, but will document my findings here in case anyone else runs across the same issue of insane slowness with SampleTank 4's sound content files.

Some updates:

- defragmenting my hard drive (D:) appears to have had no effect

- after over 12 hours and the "Install SampleTank 4 Sound Content.exe" only being at ~63%, I received two errors: one from SampleTank 4 ("The SampleTank 4 Sound Content Sound Content installation failed. Unable to copy the Instruments.") and one from Windows ("USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."), Windows recognized it again after I unplugged the flash drive and plugged it back in

- I tested copying just the "SampleTank 4 Sound Content\Library Resources" folder (16 .pak files) to my hard drive (D:), but it still took almost 15 minutes to transfer a mere 42 MB worth of data; the drive's write speeds hovered between 177 and 350 KB/s

- I then tested putting that same file on my solid state drive (C:)? Instantaneous file transfer.

- I tested putting a slightly larger file on the S.S.D. (C:), "SampleTank 4 Sound Content\Multis" (194 files). ~600 MB of data will take almost two hours to transfer between 700 KB/s and 1.2 MB/s

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with the SampleTank 4 folder. The only other thought I have is to possibly disable my anti-virus in case it's scanning the files? I have no idea.
Metallica93

Postby Metallica93 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:00 pm

- attempted to transfer files via safe mode, no change
- right-clicked the flash drive in File Explorer, opened the "Tools" tab, and ran the "Error checking" tool, no change (that I can tell)

The only solution I've found is a complete and utter nightmare: I can't transfer more than 100-200 files at a time. 50 files can be dozens of gigabytes in size and transfer at the expected write speeds, but anything over ~200 files and File Explorer is telling me it will take more than 24 hours to more <1 GB.

At the moment, I'm basically stuck manually recreating entire folder structures based off of the Total Studio 3.5 MAX flash drive on my hard drive and doing this dozens if not hundreds of times as to not break whatever this file number limit is.

Still waiting on support because this turned a fairly simple download/install/update process with every other piece of Total Studio 3.5 MAX into something horrendous.
Metallica93

Postby FiatLux8 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:53 am

Metallica93 wrote:- attempted to transfer files via safe mode, no change
- right-clicked the flash drive in File Explorer, opened the "Tools" tab, and ran the "Error checking" tool, no change (that I can tell)

The only solution I've found is a complete and utter nightmare: I can't transfer more than 100-200 files at a time. 50 files can be dozens of gigabytes in size and transfer at the expected write speeds, but anything over ~200 files and File Explorer is telling me it will take more than 24 hours to more <1 GB.

At the moment, I'm basically stuck manually recreating entire folder structures based off of the Total Studio 3.5 MAX flash drive on my hard drive and doing this dozens if not hundreds of times as to not break whatever this file number limit is.

Still waiting on support because this turned a fairly simple download/install/update process with every other piece of Total Studio 3.5 MAX into something horrendous.

IK multimedia has a very serious problem with the USB flash drives. Either quality control has been close to zero or the drives has gone bad on storage afterwards.

First flash drive they sent me at first acted like the one you have. It were really slow (I mean insanely slow). So I gave up and put it on the desk for a week or two. Then next time I tried then the flash drive mounted as a drive but didn't actually contain any memory / drive space at all. (never before in my life have I had a USB stick do something like that or even go bad for me)
The replacement USB stick that I got sent were also defective. Windows reports that the drive space used on the USB stick is 451 GB (corresponding to if the USB stick had actually contained all files, which it do NOT since three out of the "Sound Content" directories are empty. So when using the tool "TreeSize Free" then TreeSize Free reports that the size of the files on the USB stick actually amount only to 115.8 GB.
So I suspect that that USB stick is also defective as in defective memory cells or they didn't verify their write operations when copying or both !

My process with support in this matter is now more than 3 months after first reporting the problem and I have yet to receive a working USB stick, which makes it 4 and 1/2 months since ordering since shipping were also delayed !

The good news is that support appears to be interested in fixing the problem.
The bad news is that it appears as IK Multimedia will not or can not allocate the resources needed to properly check all their flash drives. And properly also it's a major economic complication since it is probably not just you and I but a lot of other people and it might be hard to come up with a lot new flash drives if they didn't put it on budget and if they themselves has problems getting all the defective replaced.

After three months of communicating and waiting I were so tired of a no fix yet that I ended up making an alternative suggestion that would have had no real cost to IK Multimedia but even that they apparently didn't accept. They did however write that they are working to resolve the problem.

Anyway , in short : unless you are really lucky then prepare for a long hard process of communicating , documenting and waiting.
FiatLux8

Postby FiatLux8 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:44 pm

P.S.
While you wait to get your defective USB stick replaced then check if you can use the "IK Product Manager" to download what you need now and here !
Also please see this FAQ :
Is there a time limit on how long I have to download my Virtual Instrument libraries?
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=867
For Legal Information , warranty and so on , please see here :
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/legal/

You most likely do not need it but I will place link here just in case someone else needs it :
(You will normally access this from clicking link from expired sound downloads in the "IK Product Manager")
Sounds Download Reactivation Credit €9.99 excl. VAT (€12.49 incl. VAT)
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... activation
FiatLux8

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More