MixBox UI not as expected

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

MixBox UI not as expected

Postby ronniez28 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:40 am

Another miserable Butt Kicking, due to my ignorance,

Recently downloaded Total studio 3.5. Thought everything was going good after some amazing responses back from this forum BUT: I downloaded and installed Mixbox ( the version that was included, says 1.5) and my interface window looks way different and much more basic than the instructions. My rack view has no: compare, copy, paste, undo, view editor or the arrows up top to view them. I've clicked on everything available and can't find an edit panel. Also can't change to "full rack view", again, no arrows. Says it comes with 600 presets. There are a lot of presets
by scrolling through the arrows on the bottom of the interface, so do I have to click 600 times to find the one I'm looking for? I also downloaded a couple of presets that are included: Mark Linett and Mike Avenair but can't find those anywhere and I put them in the same IK Multimedia folder.
I also checked my monitor settings and went full screen, but it didn't help. Took a screenshot but can't attach it.
Thanks a million in advance!!
ronniez28

Re: IK Multimedia releases Total Studio 3.5 MAX and Total VI

Postby FiatLux8 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:46 am

ronniez28 wrote:Another miserable Butt Kicking, due to my ignorance,

Dear Ronnie,
Yes , it's hard when you are a novice when it comes to using something , especially if you lack some of the back ground knowledge - like I do and I seriously doubt if you feel more ignorant than I do sometimes.

First of all I did tell you straight up that , *quote* :
"IMO then Total Studio 3.5 MAX contains so many products that even managing the product installation takes some work (especially since any custom install path has to be set for most all products included individually and this install path is not visibly confirmed in product manager later) ! If you don't want that then buy a product that comes with less :lol:"

On top of that then there is no explanation anywhere to tell you what needs a shared sub destination directory and what needs to be put where relative to what. So, at least if one uses custom directory path like I do (because I install to other than drive C: ) then it's a work even to manage the installation itself. And if you do not install , e.g. sounds and so on , correctly then you can not expect things to work correctly !

Also, it's not without reason that the acronym RTFM were coined some decades ago , so if there is something you have a hard time understanding then always try Reading The F. Manual. However in this case then it appears as if The F. Manual installed refers to an older version of MixBox, which is both unfortunate, annoying and a bit poor by IK Multimedia. Next step is to try Google , then this forum and then IKM Support !
ronniez28 wrote: I downloaded and installed Mixbox ( the version that was included, says 1.5) and my interface window looks way different and much more basic than the instructions

To check the installed version number of MixBox then start IK Product Manager , click Manage My Products , and look in Tab that says Software.
In the MixBox product itself click the little GearBox icon in top right of product and in window look at Tab that says Info !
If you do not have version 1.5 and can not install it using the IKM Product Manager then contact support and have them help you !
ronniez28 wrote:My rack view has no: compare, copy, paste, undo, view editor or the arrows up top to view them. I've clicked on everything available and can't find an edit panel. Also can't change to "full rack view", again, no arrows.

Sorry Ronnie , I'm a novice user myself and I have no idea what you are referring to or what you want to edit or whatever , I hardly understands enough about the MixBox product other than what I can deduct from the name itself and from the few minutes of browsing around that I have done !

What I do know, is that sometimes it can appear, at least to novice users such as I, that the IKM products are not very intuitive to use and how interface for navigation looks depends on where you clicked last time.
But , from my few minutes of Experience with the MixBox 1.5 product combined with my other experience with IKM products then I have noticed that what you need to click to change interface generally in MixBox is clicking one of the navigation icons that are located in corners of product window. Top right you got your GearBox icon for setup but in other corners , Top Left , Bottom Left and Bottom Right there are placed things / icons to click. If you only got the top ones then click the Top Left and that will change view to an interface where you have the two bottom ones also.
ronniez28 wrote:Says it comes with 600 presets. There are a lot of presets
by scrolling through the arrows on the bottom of the interface, so do I have to click 600 times to find the one I'm looking for?

You are maybe going to blush and feel a little , well , at least not very experienced using the IKM products !
It didn't occur to you to click on the name of what you what was shown to you one of them 600 times ? If you had used the SampleTank 4 or Syntronik 2 and read their manuals - because you couldn't find out how to use them ;-) - then perhaps you would have been introduced to how to sometimes click the right place. If you click the name of the preset in the bottom of (one of) the interface in MixBox 1.5 then you will get categorized lists . Looks like this :
https://i.imgur.com/rKhwoRY.jpg
if you do not have the preset navigation possibility shown then (eventually frantically) click the left side corner navigation icons until you see one. (The Top Left can switch to a view were it is not shown and so can the Bottom Left)
ronniez28 wrote:Took a screenshot but can't attach it.

Your computer didn't come with a manual about how to attach a picture ? , darn then I can not tell you to RTFM ! So instead I will tell you to use a free image hosting service like imgur.com or imgbb.com , or find another by telling Google search to find free image hosting or look at this page : https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/bes ... ing-sites/
and after uploading the picture to your preferred image host then share the image by sharing the URL to the image - like I did above here with my picture..

Final Words :
Total Studio 3.5 MAX at a price of  $/€199.99 is great offer giving you lots of stuff to play with but installing, managing and using the products takes at least some effort , especially to novice users !
FiatLux8

Re: MixBox UI not as expected

Postby DarkStar » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Let me add a few things about the presets.

They are all available in hierarchic menus and there are two types - those for individual FX modules and those for FX racks. You do not need to click 600 times. Here are two examples:

Switch between them using the bottom-left button

AArgh! - Maybe this is the problem: while typing this reply all the preset pop-up menus stopped working. I had to close my DAW and reload the plug-in to get them back.

The Signature Presets need to be installed into the correct folder. Extract the contents from the downloaded file and run the included installer. Here they go into sub-folders in
...\Documents\IK Multimedia\MixBox\Rack Presets

And, to upload screenshots, please see https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27252

Having said all that, the user manuals and installation instructions could be made clearer and more comprehensive.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby FiatLux8 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:18 pm

DarkStar wrote:Having said all that, the user manuals and installation instructions could be made clearer and more comprehensive.

Thank you for recognizing that !
Now ! , if you have the ear of IK Multimedia then, when you return it to them, could you then please explain to them that the problem regarding instructions and information concerning installation is a problem concerning the Total Studio 3.5 MAX suite as a whole.
Also there really ought/need to be a document, covering all items of the Total Studio 3.5 MAX suite, with an overall view and explanation of needed directory structure telling user what needs to be where relative to what.
Ideally , IK Product Manager ought also be made to be able to be set in settings to use an user path for all installations so that user do not need to have to manually set that for each and every thing (A user path such as "H:\IK Multimedia\"). And the IK Product manager ought also show in interface where products has been installed to so that user at any point in time can verify correct installation !
An improvement of ease of installation Total Studio 3.5 MAX suite and management of same installation would make the Total Studio 3.5 MAX suite a lot more accessible to a lot of people !
Thank you !
FiatLux8

Postby ronniez28 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:13 pm

Let me first start with :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I really do appreciate the way you suggested that I RTFM, but honestly I did. I actually believe that I deserve this mild spanking I just received. That being said, I do have version 1.5 but my interface still looks different that page 14 in the FM. I'm using only the plug-in version. Now for the embarrassing (blushing) part. Between you and DarkStar, I really wish I would have never asked the 600 presets question, but now it's out there! I admit I never thought to click on the preset name which changes everything. As far as attaching a screen shot, I guess I should have RTFM. Thank you DarkStar, I found all of the Signature presets that I downloaded. I think maybe next time I'll wait 3-6 months before I post a question. I'm an old guy, and just want to get my music as good as I can before I can't!
Thanks So Much!
ronniez28

Postby DarkStar » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:23 pm

We don't do spanking - you need to pay good money for that. ;)

As for the 600 presets question - I'm sure iit will help other users too.

And, don't wait 3-6 months to ask another question.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby FiatLux8 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:01 pm

ronniez28 wrote:I think maybe next time I'll wait 3-6 months before I post a question. I'm an old guy, and just want to get my music as good as I can before I can't!
Thanks So Much!

Sorry , I didn't mean to be rude , or put-off-ish , just wanted to make a slight wake-up call...
Trust me , I sometimes looks/appear a lot worse than you did when I post remarks about games or make suggestions that just shows that I just totally missed this or that. I think that you mostly missed the part where I tell how hard it was for me to even start to find out using the software. I was trying to demonstrate SampleTank 4 and Syntronik 2 to a family member and couldn't even navigate the interface let alone find out how to turn on / off layers of patch !
And with respect to the age thing then you never know who around is eldest or youngest so sometimes one ought not assume ! ;-)
But it is like I wrote , try looking in the manual , try using Google , try using the forum and then if have to use support !
My main point is and remain the same : you can not expect to dive into such a massive amount of software and stuff without you have to put in some effort so please do not feel hurt when I in a hopefully friendly way try to nudge you the right way...
Don't be sad , don't be offended , don't be put off , nobody is trying to belittle you or turn you into an object of mockery. I myself am only a few steps ahead of you here and maybe a lot behind you in other things - who knows.
Total Studio 3.5 MAX at 200 $/€ is a really nice and you get a lot of 'bang for your buck' but it is not the absolutely easiest or most well documented software to get to know in part because it in more ways is rather advanced,!
[mod redacted - please review rules with regard to advertising thank you]
FiatLux8

Postby ronniez28 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:07 am

HA,HA,HA,
I think both you (Fiat) and DarkStar totally ROCK! Seriously! I more than enjoyed and appreciated
all of the responses and got some good laughs out of them, not to mention how helpful they were. I was never in the least bit offended or put off!! My spanking comment wasn't meant to have anyone think I was offended. It was strictly my futile attempt at some humor in response to the "RTFM" portion of your post that had me laughing my a$$ off. All the replies back were super
articulate. It would take a lot more than a " get straight to the point" reply to hurt my little feelers :P. Thank you both lots and lots for helping me out!!!!!
ronniez28

Postby DarkStar » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:42 am

You're welcome. :)

Just remember to help out others when you can.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby ronniez28 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:39 pm

I absolutely will if I can!!!!

Thanks Again!
ronniez28

Postby SemmSl33 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:23 pm

It is possible that the MixBox UI is not performing as expected due to a variety of reasons. First, please ensure that your device is running the latest version of MixBox. Additionally, try rebooting your device and clearing your cache and cookies. If these steps do not resolve the issue, please contact the MixBox support team for further assistance in troubleshooting your issue.
SemmSl33

Postby ronniez28 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:03 pm

Hi SemmSI33,
Thank You for posting on this! Basically the entire issue was ME not understanding how to search through Mixbox properly and not really understanding the user manual (that's embarrassing). It's all good now though!
Thank You Again!
ronniez28

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox