Demo from Cottage Session 2 - "Story of My Life"

A friendly place to share your music and collaborate with other IK users. Show off your hard work here!

Demo from Cottage Session 2 - "Story of My Life"

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:59 pm

Hi all,

I don’t normally post demos but thought I would in this case. My buddy, Paul, and I snuck a final cottage session in last weekend before winter is here and were working on a couple songs when Paul mentioned he had guitar parts for a song idea parked for years and brought it up on the last night of the session. Well, started to work on it and really took off, we think. Often Paul and I work more in parallel at these sessions, pulling what we need out of each other but this was a super collaboration from the ground up.

Paul = Clean electric guitar, bass
Me = Vox, all other electric and acoustic guitars, Hammond

The vox and all instruments were recorded that night except for my guitar leads which I did this week along with some MODO Drum tweaks and Hammond additions. Song is far from complete as stuff will need to be redone and maybe some additions…but this demo will give a decent sense of where it’s headed.

IK Stuff so far:
Drums - MODO, Studio
AT5 - Bass = “Attaco” prest from ToneNet, Clean electric guitar “80s Ballad”, also ToneNet I think
Hammond B3-X : Chicago Rock and Demon’s Eye JR-DP presets
Mixbox
TR5 - White 2A, Stealth Limiter, Sunset Studios (Live room #2), Space Delay

Any feedback appreciated. I’ll repost this when it’s "done" and mastered.
Michael

mklankin@hotmail.com

Re: Demo from Cottage Session 2 - "Story of My Life"

Postby Riff_Lovely » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:09 pm

Wow Michael ! This is so great. Exelent singing. Great guitars . I realy realy like this stuff. I forbid to You and Paul to get out from thiss cottage. It is order :mrgreen:
Cheers Guys.
Riff_Lovely

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:03 am

Thanks so much, zuga1974!

Well, there was quite a bit of black rum involved in putting it together at the cottage but it worked out alright for a start and glad you liked it.

I’m in the process of redoing the instruments that I wanted to do and am still needing to redo the vox BUT…………since you have been very forthcoming with feedback and I like a challenge, I decided to take a few moments tonight to try a new language. I’ve previously fiddled with using/infusing French, German and Spanish into my songs….so below is my first attempt at Croatian - man, that was hard…so many more syllables! Full disclosure - I used Google Translate (which I know is awful for French) so I hope maybe 10% makes sense to you and I’m not accidentally throwing a bunch of swear words in there either! :lol:

Anyhow, thanks for listening and providing feedback. ;)

I hope you either find this mix bearable or funny. I’ll take it down once I get the final version of the song figured out & mastered.

Thanks again!
Michael

mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby Riff_Lovely » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:24 pm

Hey Michael, Thx to sing on croatian :) , i am deigned .I can imagine how difficult to You to sing on lenguage that you probably never hear . Like someone say to me to sing on chinese :D . You do it very well, and there is some rymes there. When i saw thet you post that is croatian version i cant wait to get home and put my headphones. Nice Michael.
now i doing song on english i will try with simple words. I record guitars this days, and i will try to translate my lyrics on english, try to not to lose sense.
Bye Michael.
Riff_Lovely

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:38 am

Hi zuga1974!

Thanks for the listen and kind words. Yeah, out on a limb a bit with singing in a completely foreign language but glad you appreciated it & hope the translation was sorta close. :lol:

Very cool to hear you’re trying the opposite yourself & I look forward to hearing your English song when it’s ready! :D

Take good care and connect soon!
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Demo from Cottage Session 2 - "Story of My Life" - now finis

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:40 pm

Hi all,

I finally had some time to get this song out of park to retry the vocals, enhance the outro & master.
Vocals are the best I’m gonna be able to do it so hope it worked out. :roll:
Paul and I are pretty happy with the final product.

Thanks for listening and feedback welcomed. 8-)
Michael

mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby Riff_Lovely » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:19 pm

Hello Michael.
Exellent job. Really good production. AS i say before ,to me this is exsellent song. Have everything.
Riff_Lovely

Postby mike_jf » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:19 am

Really dig this song! The vocal work is superb. That blue note on "you" is not easy to perform and you nail it. Some of your songs I have fav tagged in soundcloud.
mike_jf

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:23 pm

Hey Mike,

Well, you're gracious with the vox comment but thanks and, yes, the in-between vox notes I think add to the song overall. Also, thanks for checking out some of the other tracks too, much appreciated.

A couple tracks have basic vid's associated so check "Marseille" and "WhatEvR" out if you're inclined:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sgoTOspJCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is-uNmVY-1w

Thanks for the feedback and checking some other things out as well!
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby danwilson5 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:52 am

Hey Michael,

Another great one from the "Cottage Sessions". You and Paul should be making weekly pilgrimages to the cottage as you guys keep producing some awesome tunes together.

Dan
danwilson5

Return to The Jam Session