Official TONEX Features wish list

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Official TONEX Features wish list

Postby machinated » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:05 am

Mod edit: This will be the official thread for TONEX feature requests. Please post any feature requests here moving forward. All older posts will be compiled here. This will help make sure all posts are laid out in an organized thread keeping your voices heard.

Before posting, make sure to check that your idea/request is not posted already.
=====================================================================

So as I get acquainted with ToneX some ideas have come to mind as to what I’d like to see added and improved.

- Tuner in ToneX software. It’s annoying to have to open amplitube just to check my tuning. IK has a great tuner. I believe this has been confirmed to be requested for an update

- Ability to monitor direct captures through a cabinet/IR while creating and comparing. I really don’t see any use in only being able to listen to a raw amp DI. It’s a horrible and painful sound until it’s been through a speaker cab.

- Ability to lock modules in ToneX (and Amplitube). It would be great to be able to change presets and models in ToneX while holding certain modules in place.

- Ability to choose default presets/models

- Ability to organise models into folders, more metadata/search criteria. I’d also rather see more models on the screen at once, I’d also like to easily only see my own captures. Maybe it should be possible to save default criteria as I’m constantly clicking to hide things I don’t want to see. I’d love to be able to group some of my different captures together to make them easier to find. It’s quite hard to group with the current metadata.

- Ability to audition multiple pedal captures and amp captures in AT5. I think this will also be improved as lots of people have mentioned it.

- Ability to gainstage between modules more. I understand why IK have kept it simple, it allows for more consistent results with the modelling behaviour. IMO there needs to be a bit more control to balance things.

- Ability to pan the output. A mixer with a basic channelstrip wouldn’t go amiss here.

- Ability to run several test signals into different amps, and then queue up the AI matching so they can be processed one by one (say overnight). It would also be great to be able make more captures while matching is going on.

- Further optimisations to the machine learning, both in terms of accuracy and speed. I’m sure over time this can be refined and I hope it’s seen as an ongoing process rather than this being it.
machinated

Re: Feature Requests for ToneX

Postby marcroth » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:56 am

Few more:
- AT5 Integration: Tonex Stomp + Tonex Cab in AT5 (in addition to Tonex Amp). g<
- Input Level: Possiblity to adjust (and monitor) input Gain. Generally, I notice a lot of input difference between different models (also a problem with AT5), great would be a function to harmonize all models/presets to fit an input of -18db.
- Sample rates: Ability to set sample rate when capture (to 48k), currently it always resets to 41k which conflicts with Windows sound settings.
- Midi: Possibility to adjust parameters within Tonex with midi (also in AT5).
- Get rid of that buy/try info for collections you already own (i.e. max users)
- Tonenet: Possibility to upload and share Tonex Presets on Tonenet, not only models.
- VSTs Stability: I use in reaper, VST3 doesn't work at all (no sound), VST works on first setup, but then crashes once I re-open.
- Modeler: Functionality to capture models with variable (knob) parameters... for instance, amp at gain=0, gain=5, gain=12... so that the Tonex parameter settings become device-specific (like in AT5).
marcroth

Postby Steve-xyz » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:10 pm

Add Owned/Unowned filter selection for Amps and Cabs in Chain Bar list.
Steve-xyz

Postby machinated » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:38 pm

Great suggestions here.

- I think some kind of calibration tool could be very handy for setting input levels, for both amplitube and ToneX. Perhaps they can incorporate some information from the most popular interfaces, DI's and pickups and help users calibrate to some degree of accuracy?

- The VIR block in ToneX should display more information on what each cab is, and what speakers are inside there. Furthermore, I wouldnt mind some clarification on whether each speaker is captured from one edge to the centre (rather than from one edge to the other, top to bottom too as the VIR module in ToneX only allows you to use half of a speaker (without choosing which side.
machinated

Re: Official TONEX Features wish list

Postby machinated » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:24 pm

- a warning screen when closing ToneX (at least for when the AI training is in progress). I accidently closed ToneX while training was going on and lost over an hours worth of processing. Perhaps there could be a way of returning to a previous point or pausing too?
machinated

Postby livesforrap » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:34 pm

Steve-xyz wrote:Add Owned/Unowned filter selection for Amps and Cabs in Chain Bar list.

It would be a step in the right direction. Right now, it's pretty cluttered.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby jnell » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:31 am

* Proper integration with Amplitube.
* A clear way to capture preamps only (maybe even power amps).
* Support for Radeon GPU's for processing.
* Ability to queue/batch model generation for later after initial capture process.
* Model groups or selectable variants of the model. Ie if I have a pedal that has 3 switchable modes, let me group the captures or switch between variants on the model, could also work with say a mid hain and hi gain capture of the same rig.
jnell

Postby machinated » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:50 am

- Better browser/interface for searching specific users tones via ToneNet. I really think folders would be so beneficial here as well.

- Less reliance on having to use the web browser for certain features of ToneNet. I think it should be more possible to handle "housekeeping" of files directly from ToneX without having to go back and forth to the web browser version.
machinated

Postby machinated » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:50 pm

- It would be great if ToneX had a feature where you could quickly record in a quick section to hear how things are sounding through a given chain prior to capturing. Quite often Im capturing rigs in the same room as I'm listening and its easier to record a section back and A/B than it is reamping or playing in real time. At the moment, I would have to use my DAW, then quit and open ToneX. The less back and forth there is, the better

- Essentially the same as above, but for when a model is generated and you are comparing. Its not much use for me to blast signal through the amp at full volume - it would be more convenient to record 15 seconds or so and compare to the model like that. Perhaps this could be recorded during or just after the AI training, and used as a final matching stage (like Kemper does refine). Not only would this allow an extra degree of accuracy for the intended use of the captured sound, but it would make the process of validating the quality of the capture easier.

- I wouldn't mind a few more guitar styles added to the testing DI signal - some sound OK, but on the whole none really represent what I'm looking to get out of a tone when I play. It shouldn't matter if the results are good but I feel like when I play guitar through the reamp chain, it sounds fuller and less hyped/noisy than the DI's used for modelling. Some heavier palm mutes where you really feel the speakers exert would be ideal.

- Not really sure where to ask this so ill put it here: it would be great to have more optimisations for different computers and graphics cards and to work at reducing the training time (this goes for default and advanced models. The difference between 1 minute or 10 minutes can be pretty huge in a real world situation, and likewise the difference between 10 minutes and 30 minutes, or 30 minutes and 2 hours.

- perhaps an option to rate the quality of the capture after its completed (even if this is hidden from public and only accessible from IK's end). IMO it would be helpful for IK to record how often captures don't go to plan, and perhaps they can then recognise trends in order to help improve things going forward. I think the more feedback IK can get from various aspects of the training, the stronger the product will become
machinated

Postby machinated » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:51 pm

- a feature to create an amp and cab model, as well as an amp model in the same pass (so recording the amp DI and mic). This would require a device that has a “through” or doesn’t draw a load from the amp. Ideally so once complete there is an accurate model of the amp+cab mic’d up and also a very accurate model of the amplifier with said cab providing the load
machinated

Postby rockstarscat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:29 pm

I would like to wish for better instructions for hooking up the tonex. looks like spaghettis. need better instruction for using load box.
rockstarscat

Postby machinated » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:19 pm

I know there is no reposting but this is probably the most infuriating thing.

JUST ACCIDENTLY QUIT AGAIN WHEN AT 95% :cry: For a task that can take so long, there really needs to be some kind of protection from accidently quitting/losing power etc. Hopefully its possible to have an "are you sure you'd like to quit? AI Matching is still in progress" window, as well as some kind of feature to allow continuing a match from where it got up to

- a warning screen when closing ToneX (at least for when the AI training is in progress). I accidently closed ToneX while training was going on and lost over an hours worth of processing. Perhaps there could be a way of returning to a previous point or pausing too?
machinated

Postby Andreas71 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:01 am

Please prevent selection filters being reseted every time one close plugin GUI. This is VERY annoying and workflow killer.
Andreas71

Postby livesforrap » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:50 pm

Andreas71 wrote:Please prevent selection filters being reseted every time one close plugin GUI. This is VERY annoying and workflow killer.

Absolutely.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby AlienNation » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:56 pm

Please keep this to feature requests, technical issues are a different topic.
AlienNation

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling