Hello and first recording with Amplitube 5

A friendly place to share your music and collaborate with other IK users. Show off your hard work here!

Hello and first recording with Amplitube 5

Postby Boogie Pete » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:49 pm

Hi all.

I'm very new to Amplitube and am so impressed with it so far. I've always been a huge Mesa Boogie fan and have owned many over the last 25 years. Unbelievable to me that I just picked up 4 of my favourite Boogies in Amplitube for around 80 GBP. Remarkable that they do sound very close to the real amps and I'm like a kid in a sweet (candy) shop at the moment.

I use Amplitube with Reaper and thought I'd have a bash at one of my favourite solos by Camel lead man and guitarist Andy Latimer. This is an excerpt from the Solo in 'Long Goodbyes (make me so sad)' which is on the Stationary Traveller album.

I used the RAT pedal in to the Orange Rockerverb II amp (another of my favourites) with the Reverb coming from the free rack and the delay from the T-Rex Replica. I used a Vintage V100 guitar which is a great budget option singlecut.

The track is here on Soundclick:-https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=1498043

Hope it works ok. Cheers and have fun!
Boogie Pete

Re: Hello and first recording with Amplitube 5

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:52 pm

Hi Boogie Pete,

Well, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting, it worked, indeed.

Very nice solo with vibrato in there ….beautiful round sound you achieved with creamy drive.

I too am a fan of the Mesa Boogie and Orange options but there’s no shortage of candy in the AT shop so keep exploring and posting too.

Take care,
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby Boogie Pete » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:49 pm

Thanks Michael, much appreciated.

So much to explore in Amplitube...credit card is about to surrender! :D One of my best investments of late all the same and I hope to get in to some more serious recording over the next few months.

Cheers!
Boogie Pete

Postby Boogie Pete » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:20 pm

Had time to do a YouTube video of the above track today for any one that's interested.

Cheers!

Pete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJzf7CZ9j6I

[mod edit - embedded video:]
Boogie Pete

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:31 pm

Just watched the vid, nice job and I get where that warm, round sound stems from!

Take care,
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby Boogie Pete » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:46 pm

Thanks again Michael!

I paid £295 GBP for the guitar and it is actually one of the best single cuts I've owned including Gibsons! Amplitube 5 helps a lot of course!

Thanks to mods for embedding the vid. I will learn how to embed before the next one :P
Boogie Pete

Postby CrazySchmidt » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:34 am

Jeez Pete, outta no where, what a sweet ride dude!! 8-)

What a beautiful track man, very dreamy and soothing. Reminded me a little of the style of Gary Moore's "The Loner" which I love.

Beautiful guitar tone and playing brother looking forward to hearing more from you!! 8-)

Cheers, CS. ;)
Please support Gondo Strauss at:
https://soundcloud.com/gondo-strauss/
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby Boogie Pete » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:11 am

Hey CS, thanks for watching and your kind comments are much appreciated :D

I love Gary Moore's stuff too and he was a fantastic player that is now sorely missed.

If you like the style in the vid it's worth checking out Andy Latimer and Camel (I prefer the later albums for some wicked guitar playing) he puts his soul in to every note and that is something I find that is sometimes missing from many others these days. I guess you'd call the genre 'old school' prog rock. They've been turning out albums since the seventies and still tour occasionally.

I'll be working on more tracks and vids over the coming months and will post links on here if you want to check them out.

Cheers,

Pete.
Boogie Pete

Postby CrazySchmidt » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:24 am

Boogie Pete wrote:I'll be working on more tracks and vids over the coming months and will post links on here if you want to check them out.

I most certainly would my friend. :)

Cheers, CS. :)
Please support Gondo Strauss at:
https://soundcloud.com/gondo-strauss/
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby Boogie Pete » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:23 pm

Hi all,

I've done another YT version with improved audio and an inset 'neck' view of the guitar if anyone would like to check it out.

Mods...please feel free to delete the old version above.

Thanks.

Boogie Pete

Postby elammark13 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:11 pm

Really lovely tone, and nice soothing playing. Beautiful guitar too!
elammark13

Postby Boogie Pete » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:45 am

@elammark13

Thanks for your kind comments which are much appreciated.

I'm stunned at the tone and quality of this guitar for what I paid for it...a keeper for sure!
Boogie Pete

Postby danwilson5 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:33 pm

Hi Pete,

I really enjoyed the track. Your playing is so tasteful. The mix you did has a wonderful "soft" quality to it, by soft I mean it didn't have the harsh digital top end that I keep trying to get rid of in my mixes. Any tips you would like to share about how you achieved that "soft" warmth in your mix would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to more songs

Dan
danwilson5

Postby Boogie Pete » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:12 pm

Hi Dan and many thanks for your compliments.

I used a backing track for this and I did find the cymbals had a fairly unpleasant 'sizzle' about them.

I use the Reaper DAW for recording and I used the onboard graphic EQ to dial out a lot of the treble and fizz on the backing track. I made a curve so that everything above about 10k was taken out and this helped a lot.

The guitar track was done with the Amplitube Orange Rockerverb which immediately has a very warm and 'mid-biased' tone so I don't think I applied much EQ (if any) to the guitar track as there was not much top end to begin with.

So messing around with the EQ on the final mix mostly along with a little compression as I think it does calm things down at the high end of a mix. I also added some plate reverb to the backing track and I think this helps take away any harshness as well.

Thanks again,

Pete.
Boogie Pete

Postby danwilson5 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:00 am

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the advice on getting things to sound warmer. I will try to implement them on the next song I get done

Dan
danwilson5

Next

Return to The Jam Session