Official AmpliTube 5 GEAR (and presets) Wishlist

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Official AmpliTube 5 GEAR (and presets) Wishlist

Postby n2mpujack » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:48 am

[mod redacted - please stay on topic, continue to work with support if you have technical/mail issues, and also please review the rules, including those that cover moderation]
Jack
QAPLA!
OSX 10.13.6
PT 2021.6
n2mpujack

Postby squeezenor » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:40 am

All my ik emails to straight to the trash ( :lol: ) so it was just dumb luck that I happened to see the email at the time of release.

The custom shop doesn't work for me anymore and a support ticket didn't go anywhere so I was unable to demo it. Not even sure I could buy it. But there was so little fanfare around Mesa 2 I had nothing to go on. I also thought it was odd that they still didn't include the Mesa os 412 in there. That's only the most popular cab in the universe. Maybe for Mesa 3 :D I'm not a big enough Mesa fan to know what's missing that should be included in a future bundle, maybe their pedals? That could be fun. I wonder why they don't do pedal collaborations any more.

I hardly ever use any of the pedals anyway, so maybe it is time for a refresh, and some new collections/collaborations. So many brands out there to choose from, big and small. I'd love to see some new boutiquey stuff, or maybe some old oddballs, or fancy out of reach stuff like the Cornish pedals.

I passed on the xpedals, too, so I got that and Mesa 2 to look forward to when amplitube 6 drops in 2025, along with the orange 2, orange 3, Laney, matchless and hiwatt collections :lol:

Matchless and hiwatt could work! Throw in the 50, 100 and 200 watt variants, the maxwatt high gainer and maybe the Jimmy page or a low watt version. Matchless has several el34 and el84 offerings with various cab configurations to choose from. It's not just vox clones. I'd throw money at either of those on the first day.
squeezenor

Postby Yash » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:47 pm

I'll start off by saying, excellent job on the Mesa Boogie Collection 2. Loved the Mark IIC+, Triple Crown, and California Tweed. However, the Mark V wasn't up to scratch in my opinion. But, the other amps are great.
I agree with the posts above and would love to see some Laneys and Tony Iommi models.
But, to me, more interesting would be - Rack gear. Preamps, poweramps, and some effects. And of course, there are never enough amps, cabs and pedals. Here's my wishlist, and some ideas for a Mesa Collection 3.

Rack Preamps (from most important to lesser)
- Bogner Fish
- Custom Audio Electronics CAE 3+ (SE?)
- Bogner Triple Giant
- Mezzabarba Nirvana (Show your fellow Italians some love :D )
- ADA MP1
- Lee Jackson GP-1000
- Soldano X88r. X99 or SP77 (or all 3 of them :D )
-Engl Special Edition Preamp E570
- Rocktron Piranha
Rack Poweramps
- VHT/Fryette 2150 (maybe with switchable tubes, KT88, EL34, 6L6, or at least just the KT88, with presence and depth controls) - This should fulfill all our power amp needs
- Marshall EL34
Rack Effect Units
- Dunlop CryBaby Rack Wah (yes, we really really need it)
- Yamaha SPX90
- Rocktron Intelliflex
- Eventide H3000 (I know modelling the entire unit is a big task, so, let us just insert external VSTs in the chain)
Amps (in no particular order)
- ENGL Savage 120
- ENGL Invader II
- ENGL Powerball II
- ENGL Fireball (with Marty Friedman and Mille Petrozza modes?)
- EVH 5150 III (switchable tubes,6L6 and EL34)
- Peavey JSX, Triple XXX II, or both
- Hughes and Kettner TriAmp Mark III
- Revv Generator 120 Mark III
- Diezel Hagen
- Diezel Herbert
- Bogner Ecstasy
- Bogner Uberschall
- Bogner Shiva
- Friedman BE-100 Deluxe
- Friedman Butterslax
- Marshall JVM410H (I know we have the Satch model, but, imo, the stock JVM is more aggressive, so, I'd like to see that)
- Marshall DSL 2000
- Marshall 6100LM
- Carvin Legacy
- Dumble

Notice I didn't put any Mesa Boogies in there? Well, here are my ideas for Mesa Boogie Collection 3
Rack Collection -
- Quad PreAmp
- Studio PreAmp
- TriAxis PreAmp
- Simul Class 2:90 Power Amp
- Road King II (Power Amp section only, with progressive linkage which allows you to use 6L6 and EL34 tubes simultaneously)
Legacy Amp Collection -
- Bass 400+
- Road King II
- Royal Atlantic RA-100
- Stiletto Deuce or Trident
- Mark I, King Snake
Modern Amp Collection -
- JP-2C
- Fillmore 100
- Badlander 100
- Lone Star Special or V2
Mesa Boogie pedals
- Grid Slammer
- Boogie 5 Band graphic EQ
- Throttle Box EQ
- Flux Five

Other pedals I'd like to see
- Seymour Duncan 805
- JHS Bonsai (Gives us all Tube Screamers)
- Klon Centaur (or a copy, like Wampler Tumnus, Way Huge Conspiracy Theory)
- JHS Muffuletta (gives us all Big Muff Pi's)
- JHS PackRat (gives us all ProCo Rat)
- JHS ColorBox (or a Console style preamp to overdrive)
- MXR Slash Octave Fuzz
- JHS Whitey Tighty Compressor (or a compressor with a blend knob)
- Boss Dimension C

I could go on and on, especially with pedals, but, I think this post is long enough :') I'll post a long pedal wishlist in a separate post :D

Once again, thank you IK for listening to us with the Mesa Boogie Collection 2. Just love the Mark IIC+.
Yash

Postby Yash » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:07 pm

I'd also add a few more Marshalls :D Marshall Signature (Brit Signature) Collection
- Marshall 1959 Randy Rhoads (Let's do a Randy Rhoads collection?) - with matching cabinets
- Marshall 1992 LEM - Lemmy Signature - with matching cabinets
- Marshall YJM100
- Marshall JCM800 Zakk Wylde and Kerry King models

Cabinets -
- Marshall 1960DM Dave Mustaine Signature cabinets
- Marshall Randy Rhoads Cabinets
- Marshall 4x15 and 4x12 Bass cabinets - Lemmy Signature
- Marshall Mode Four cabinets - Kerry King used them
Yash

Postby carlaz » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:22 pm

Yash wrote:- ENGL Savage 120
- ENGL Invader II
- ENGL Powerball II

It would definitely be interesting to have more ENGL-based models in the lineup. The Powerball model is what I reach for when I want to feel "metal" but not like a Dual Rectifier. :lol: The E650 (i.e., Blackmore) is kind of a lost classic that doesn't get enough love; it can get modern-ish metal tones, but also more classic tones.

Yash wrote:- Diezel Hagen
- Diezel Herbert
- Bogner Ecstasy
- Bogner Uberschall
- Bogner Shiva

It was very nice to see the German 34 and the VHandcraft 4 enter the AmpliTube 5 lineup; more Diesels would be interesting, though I think I'd be most enthused about an Uberschall-based and/or Shiva-based model. 8-)

Actually, though, I never paid much attention to PRS amps, I also think the new SilverPlate 50 is great. I'd be interested to hear a model based on the HXDA. Speaking of which ...

Yash wrote:- Friedman BE-100 Deluxe
- Friedman Butterslax

The MiniPlex 20 is, IMO, a highlight of AmpliTube 5, and I would probably immediately get any other Friedman-based model! :mrgreen:

Yash wrote:Once again, thank you IK for listening to us with the Mesa Boogie Collection 2. Just love the Mark IIC+.

Although I confess that I'm not a raging Mesa fan, I did like the MkIII from the first Mesa collection, but I like the IIC+ even better. 8-)
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby carlaz » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:32 pm

Yash wrote:I'd also add a few more Marshalls :D Marshall Signature (Brit Signature) Collection
- Marshall 1959 Randy Rhoads (Let's do a Randy Rhoads collection?) - with matching cabinets
- Marshall YJM100

Cabinets -

Yes to all of this. Even though AmpliTube has a fair number of Marshall-based models, 1) there are a lot of real-world Marshall variants, and 2) there can basically never be too many Marshall models. :mrgreen:

To this list, however, I would actually add a "standard Plexi" (or even early "metal-panel") Marshall Superlead model -- which, IMO, is a weird omission from AmpliTube's otherwise extensive roster of Marshall-based models.

Yes, the JH Gold is the closest thing, and it's one of my go-to" amp models in AmpliTube, but ... I mean, the JCM Slash models a "real-world" amp that was essentially a reissue of the "real-world" Silver Jubilee, which itself is modeled in the Brit Silver. :? So, actually having a straight #1959 all-EL34 Superlead alongside the JH Gold (which is basically a Hendrix-modded JTM45/100) doesn't seem excessive at all.

Just release a "Brit Plexi" model and have done! :mrgreen:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby squeezenor » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:26 pm

Yash wrote:Rack Preamps
Rack Poweramps
Rack Effect Units
- Eventide H3000 (I know modelling the entire unit is a big task, so, let us just insert external VSTs in the chain)
Amps (in no particular order)
- ENGL Savage 120
- ENGL Invader II
- ENGL Powerball II
- EVH 5150 III (switchable tubes,6L6 and EL34)
- Peavey JSX, Triple XXX II, or both
- Diezel Hagen
- Diezel Herbert
- Bogner Ecstasy
- Bogner Uberschall
- Bogner Shiva
- Friedman BE-100 Deluxe
- Friedman Butterslax
- Marshall DSL 2000
- Dumble
Modern Amp Collection -
- JP-2C
- Fillmore 100
- Badlander 100
- Lone Star Special or V2
Mesa Boogie pedals

Other pedals I'd like to see
- Seymour Duncan 805
- Klon Centaur (or a copy, like Wampler Tumnus, Way Huge Conspiracy Theory)
- JHS ColorBox (or a Console style preamp to overdrive)
- Boss Dimension C
on board with a lot of the stuff here. would be curious to bring back the pre/power amp concept somehow.

as for the rest, i'm thinking eventide would never happen because they make their own vsts, but it would be great if you could load up 3rd party vsts (though that would never happen, i'd bet).

a fair amount of those engls, diezels and friedmans are available officially elsewhere in vst land, so while i welcome amplitube versions, they probably wouldn't be officially licensed.

now that seymour duncan has a whole new range of pedals, maybe they can refresh that line? the klon/e seems like a huge omission at this point, and i'd give a dimension c a shot, too. i'd love to see a newer company like jhs involved, but as far as the color box goes, you can just use the rack gear to achieve something similar, that's largely what the eq81 is.

Yash wrote:I'd also add a few more Marshalls :D Marshall Signature (Brit Signature) Collection
- Marshall YJM100

Cabinets -
always on board with more marshalls, but it's worth noting that two of these already exist in the vst world, and it might be hard to model a signature head without the involvement of the artist. then again, they've done it before. but it would be cool to see them involved.
squeezenor

Postby squeezenor » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:34 pm

carlaz wrote:Yes to all of this. Even though AmpliTube has a fair number of Marshall-based models, 1) there are a lot of real-world Marshall variants, and 2) there can basically never be too many Marshall models. :mrgreen:

To this list, however, I would actually add a "standard Plexi" (or even early "metal-panel") Marshall Superlead model -- which, IMO, is a weird omission from AmpliTube's otherwise extensive roster of Marshall-based models.

Yes, the JH Gold is the closest thing, and it's one of my go-to" amp models in AmpliTube, but ... I mean, the JCM Slash models a "real-world" amp that was essentially a reissue of the "real-world" Silver Jubilee, which itself is modeled in the Brit Silver. :? So, actually having a straight #1959 all-EL34 Superlead alongside the JH Gold (which is basically a Hendrix-modded JTM45/100) doesn't seem excessive at all.

Just release a "Brit Plexi" model and have done! :mrgreen:

the jh gold does a good generic "plexi era" sound, and i generally pretend the red pig is the "real/official" plexi included, but since marshalls are so granular anyway, i'd be curious about a brit collection 2. there are still some notable omissions within amplitube, both in vintage/historic models and signature ones. not really the most interesting thing they could do to my ears (i have those sounds pretty well covered), but i'd certainly check it out.

another way to go about it would be to keep cranking out modern clones in the bogner/friedman vein. but i'd still rather see something like an orange or laney collection instead. some similar ground covered, but also something new and different.
squeezenor

Postby Yash » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:43 pm

Thanks for the answers guys. Never enough Marshall’s :mrgreen:

If neither an Eventide model nor external VSTs are possible, the simplest satisfactory solution would be a micropitch pedal or rack unit. And the Yamaha SPX90 symphonic chorus.
For some gear, extracting the essential signature sound would suffice.

Also, forgot to include Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Rev F in the Mesa Legacy collection. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Still coming up with a complete pedal/rack effects list. However, please do remember, I’m a metal player, so, not the most knowledgeable. I’ll try my best though ;)
Yash

Postby carlaz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:35 pm

squeezenor wrote:the jh gold does a good generic "plexi era" sound, and i generally pretend the red pig is the "real/official" plexi included, but since marshalls are so granular anyway, i'd be curious about a brit collection 2.

Actually, I think the Red Pig is less like a "plexi" than is the JH Gold :shock: though it's probably true that (especially to modern ears, perhaps) a lot of "vintage" (i.e. pre-JCM800) Marshalls sound similar. (The older Brit Lead S100 obviously also gets into this territory.) And, yes, there was no doubt a fair deal of variation even between Marshalls rolling sequentially off the production line back in the day, and there is surely even more variation between surviving vintage Marshall some five decades further on! :lol: This does contribute to the challenge of determining "how much does a plexi sound like a plexi?". :roll:

On a side note, I think the Red Pig is one of the cooler bits of the Marshall-based lineup in AmpliTube. I'm not sure how many other Marshall Major plugins there are out there (if any).

squeezenor wrote:another way to go about it would be to keep cranking out modern clones in the bogner/friedman vein. but i'd still rather see something like an orange or laney collection instead. some similar ground covered, but also something new and different.

I certainly won't object to almost any vintage or "modern vintage" "British"-type amp models; I'm a consistent user of the existing ones. Laney does seem an egregious omission. Models of almost any of their vintage or modern amps would be very welcome.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby carlaz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:55 pm

squeezenor wrote:it might be hard to model a signature head without the involvement of the artist. then again, they've done it before. but it would be cool to see them involved.

I've never been bothered about artist/manufacturer endorsements, though I suppose they help shift product. (I always remember that the Powerball model originally existed as just "based on", but then ENGL decided they liked it well enough that it got "blessed" with the official name and logo.)

But ... I suppose there is a difference between artist and manufacturer endorsements. I suspect (though I could be wrong) that Marshall has the lion's share of any decision-making process about the rights to the name of an artist's signature amplifier. Like, perhaps (but maybe only perhaps) they can go ahead and license someone to make a plugin version of the Randy Rhoads signature amp without any need to deal (again) with the estate of the late Mr. Rhoads, etc.

But. very definitely, it's obvious that individual artists can be involved with IKM in making models of their gear without the original manufacturers of that gear being involved. (E.g., the Satch VM models the Satriani-signature JVM410JS; it just isn't blessed by Marshall. Also, I can see that the Slash amps are still blessed with the official Marshall logo, though the various pedals in the Slash collection have always been just "based on".)

So, I presume that IKM could decide to model any random piece of gear, signature or not, that they got their hands on. They could get a Zakk Wylde-signature Marshall and model it without anyone's involvement, call it the "Wild 8000" :lol: and have done. Or they could get together with Zakk and release an artist collection branded with his name (as obviously done with various other artists, living or dead) but not with Marshall's.

Or, possibly (but not certainly?), they could get together with Marshall and do an official Marshall-branded model of the Zakk Wylde-signature Marshall without Zakk's involvement (?), though perhaps he would get a cut of Marshall's share of the proceeds? But all this depends on how contracts are cut, and each contract (between artists and manufacturers, between manufacturers and plugin makers) is likely to be different.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby squeezenor » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:09 pm

carlaz wrote:Actually, I think the Red Pig is less like a "plexi" than is the JH Gold :shock: though it's probably true that (especially to modern ears, perhaps) a lot of "vintage" (i.e. pre-JCM800) Marshalls sound similar. (The older Brit Lead S100 obviously also gets into this territory.) And, yes, there was no doubt a fair deal of variation even between Marshalls rolling sequentially off the production line back in the day, and there is surely even more variation between surviving vintage Marshall some five decades further on! :lol: This does contribute to the challenge of determining "how much does a plexi sound like a plexi?". :roll:

On a side note, I think the Red Pig is one of the cooler bits of the Marshall-based lineup in AmpliTube. I'm not sure how many other Marshall Major plugins there are out there (if any).
it does get a bit difficult to parse. some folks want super leads and super basses and bluesbreakers and 45/100s and the pa things and some people are fine with just the 20 watt pink taco model. i just wish the "generic" models were a little clearer about what they were based on so you know what to use them for, but they are good and i'm not really complaining otherwise. the red pig is red, so there is that. but i'm not sure there's another marshall major model out there. i'm also not sure how different the major is than a plexi, real or imagined.

you bring up something else i try to keep in mind regarding who is "most accurate" or the "best"; everyone is basing their model off of something different. after 50 years of wear and tear, none of them sound as they did when they left the factory. and the standard for what those amps are supposed to sound like was set decades ago with a bunch of studio gear involved.

carlaz wrote:I've never been bothered about artist/manufacturer endorsements, though I suppose they help shift product. (I always remember that the Powerball model originally existed as just "based on", but then ENGL decided they liked it well enough that it got "blessed" with the official name and logo.)

But ... I suppose there is a difference between artist and manufacturer endorsements. I suspect (though I could be wrong) that Marshall has the lion's share of any decision-making process about the rights to the name of an artist's signature amplifier. Like, perhaps (but maybe only perhaps) they can go ahead and license someone to make a plugin version of the Randy Rhoads signature amp without any need to deal (again) with the estate of the late Mr. Rhoads, etc.

But. very definitely, it's obvious that individual artists can be involved with IKM in making models of their gear without the original manufacturers of that gear being involved. (E.g., the Satch VM models the Satriani-signature JVM410JS; it just isn't blessed by Marshall. Also, I can see that the Slash amps are still blessed with the official Marshall logo, though the various pedals in the Slash collection have always been just "based on".)

So, I presume that IKM could decide to model any random piece of gear, signature or not, that they got their hands on. They could get a Zakk Wylde-signature Marshall and model it without anyone's involvement, call it the "Wild 8000" :lol: and have done. Or they could get together with Zakk and release an artist collection branded with his name (as obviously done with various other artists, living or dead) but not with Marshall's.

Or, possibly (but not certainly?), they could get together with Marshall and do an official Marshall-branded model of the Zakk Wylde-signature Marshall without Zakk's involvement (?), though perhaps he would get a cut of Marshall's share of the proceeds? But all this depends on how contracts are cut, and each contract (between artists and manufacturers, between manufacturers and plugin makers) is likely to be different.
it was the engl richie blackmore getting the generic model number in amplitube that i was thinking of.

i doubt they could do an artist collection without that person's (estate) participating, but they can do whatever they want gearwise, if the dimebag collection is any indication of how things work. so, say a randy rhoads collection is totally possible, and they could circumvent marshall if they feel like it, as long as the estate is on board. not sure how the slash marshalls were blessed, but a few companies work with more than one brand: engl, to name one.

i'm not sure how they go about it. every artist collection has at least a couple of amps. it might not be worth it otherwise. even brian may got two (which made sense). slash got two that are pretty similar, but that's also defensible. with guys like rhoads or gilmour or wylde, they might have to think for a bit to come up with second and third amps, unless they don't mind a second version of something that already exists, and we already know that they don't. :D

i've never been an artist tone chaser so i don't have many feelings on the matter; the only thing i care about in the artist collections is the gear. aside from a few oversights like laney/iommi, i can't really think of much that isn't already in there somewhere. they're going to have to get creative to fluff up amplitube 6 max. orange/vox/laney/hiwatt/matchless collections wouldn't hurt. if they can't swing that, maybe a second metal collection, based on more genre specific amps or uncommon cult favorites like sunn, matamp, marshall valvestate, randall, framus, peavey.

actually, a peavey collection might make sense, too. some of the vintage oddballs, the 80s/90s vtm/butcher/ultra models, a bandit, maybe a classic or two, a 6505 and an invective, or whatever current models are left. maybe toss in some of those handwired masterpiece or budda amps, too. peavey would have to throw in the towel on revalver, but haven't they already?
squeezenor

Postby squeezenor » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:15 pm

Yash wrote:Thanks for the answers guys. Never enough Marshall’s :mrgreen:

If neither an Eventide model nor external VSTs are possible, the simplest satisfactory solution would be a micropitch pedal or rack unit. And the Yamaha SPX90 symphonic chorus.
For some gear, extracting the essential signature sound would suffice.

Also, forgot to include Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Rev F in the Mesa Legacy collection. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Still coming up with a complete pedal/rack effects list. However, please do remember, I’m a metal player, so, not the most knowledgeable. I’ll try my best though ;)
i figure a full on rack gear emulation would be too weird, but maybe a few favorite presets or some basic parameters and they could just make it like the existing rack gear? that would be interesting if they could do some of the big eventide/tc electronic/alesis whoever else rack gear of the past. they are studio guys, so you have to figure something is possible.

not sure who said what or picked who, but what's excluded from the mesa collections is kinda interesting to me. they can't seriously be considering a third one, right? just expand the second one! a rev f and an os 412. i figure they might scrape up enough amps to justify a third collection, but as for cabs? i'm sure they'd come up with something if the money was there. they could always do pedals...
squeezenor

Postby carlaz » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:48 pm

squeezenor wrote:you bring up something else i try to keep in mind regarding who is "most accurate" or the "best"; everyone is basing their model off of something different. after 50 years of wear and tear, none of them sound as they did when they left the factory. and the standard for what those amps are supposed to sound like was set decades ago with a bunch of studio gear involved.

You are absolutely right, and this is absolutely true. Even a modern artist in a modern studio with relatively new or recent gear .... well, you only have to watch a few YouTube videos of recording engineers trying to mic up a cab to realize that even in a relatively recent cab with 4 speakers of the same model, each of those speakers may actually sound different!

Even artists have difficulty replicating their recorded tones if they have to go to a different studio for overdubs or something, etc. I think this is part of what made high-amp hardware amp sims popular with touring musicians (not naming any brands of those, but we all know what the biggest names there are): you can consistently pump the same tones out to the PA (even if you are still at the mercy of the PA and the venue's acoustics -- but that's the live-sound guy's job).

squeezenor wrote:i doubt they could do an artist collection without that person's (estate) participating

To be sure. I was just trying to say that they could model a given manufacturer's signature gear for a specific artist as long as they didn't reference the manufacturer (no logos) or the artist (no names). Obviously, though, there's not much commercial reason to do that, since the manufacturer's and are artist's name are the things that would be expected to drive sales, no matter how lovely the model.

squeezenor wrote:i'm not sure how they go about it. every artist collection has at least a couple of amps. it might not be worth it otherwise. even brian may got two (which made sense). slash got two that are pretty similar, but that's also defensible. with guys like rhoads or gilmour or wylde, they might have to think for a bit to come up with second and third amps, unless they don't mind a second version of something that already exists, and we already know that they don't. :D

It's a good point that I hadn't thought about: all the artist collections have at least two amps, no? Neither Randy Rhoads nor Zakk Wylde have complicated rigs -- at best, Zakk has used different versions of fairly similar gear when he received or changed artist endorsements from manufacturers. (I think even his "own-brand" amps that were planned -- but seem to have evaporated -- were basically JCM800 clones.) On the other hand, Gilmour may have barely more than one amp, but the array of pedals and rack effects would be enough to swamp the AmpliTube 5 menu system UI! :lol: That said, IKM could probably release a digital model of Gilmour's orange-juice squeezer and the fans would come out for it! :lol: There are a lot of guitar-playing (or at least guitar-owning!) Gilmour fans out there ....

squeezenor wrote:i've never been an artist tone chaser so i don't have many feelings on the matter; the only thing i care about in the artist collections is the gear. aside from a few oversights like laney/iommi, i can't really think of much that isn't already in there somewhere.

Again, I am very much agreed. I have eventually ended up with all the various artist collections (so far), but I've never been trying to sound like any of those artists. But there are probably a least a models from almost every artist collection that I use for my own purposes. Also, it is interesting just to flip through the artist presets and see how things work, and I very much enjoy checking out the "bonus" artist presets that have recently come through the IK Product Manager. These often use gear models from outside of the given artist's own AmpliTube collection (if they have one). I mean, I'm not a huge Satriani or Slash fan, as such, but those guys certainly know their business, and I learn something by seeing what they've done presets they create with sometimes fairly random AmpliTube stuff. :ugeek:

squeezenor wrote:they're going to have to get creative to fluff up amplitube 6 max.
orange/vox/laney/hiwatt/matchless collections wouldn't hurt. if they can't swing that, maybe a second metal collection, based on more genre specific amps or uncommon cult favorites like sunn, matamp, marshall valvestate, randall, framus, peavey.
actually, a peavey collection might make sense, too. some of the vintage oddballs, the 80s/90s vtm/butcher/ultra models, a bandit, maybe a classic or two, a 6505 and an invective, or whatever current models are left. maybe toss in some of those handwired masterpiece or budda amps, too. peavey would have to throw in the towel on revalver, but haven't they already?

Well, one thing that guitarists everywhere have proven again and again is that they can never have too much gear :lol: so more and newer models of everything are always going to be attractive.

That said, I think the main challenge for AmpliTube is that which perhaps exists for all makers of modeled analog plugins: certainly in the last decade or so, the quality of amp sims has got so good that we have long since passed the point where it matters to the average listener (AC/DC notably used AmpliTube 2 for some things on Black Ice, released back in 2008!) and increasingly even to all but the pickiest players who've had the luxury to indulge in the subtleties of real amps for year (without losing their hearing! :lol: ). There are even free amp sims out there that you can pair with free IRs and, at least for certain tones, they are pretty good!

So: where does any amp sim maker go in the future?

Leaving aside the "more gear!" thing :roll: I think another important issue is going to be about the usability of the software. One thing that AmpliTube has in its favor is that it has a fair number of gear options, and you can change them in and out fairly quickly if you know what you are doing. That's a huge advantage if you are messing around and looking for just the tone you need for this song or this mix or whatever. The danger is that it can obviously be overwhelming to newcomers -- just as being ushered into a studio full of pedals, amps, cabinets, mic, and rack gear while being told to set up what they need to get the tone they want would be. :shock: I think better ways to help users search, try, and organize presets will be key here. And that's a usability and perhaps UI issue, and not so much a technical (or modelling) issue.

Possibly AmpliTube 6 should have at least interoperability of presets between the iOS and desktop versions. THe current lack of that interoperability seems to confuse and dismay customers. I do presume Apple will eventually merge iOS and macOS, regardless of what they claim, and I presume the M1 etc. chips are steps towards that, though I don't know how long it will take.

Obviously, it's more fun to think about gear collections than usability, though. :lol: I wonder if a "Metal 2" collection might not be a double-edged sword? Firstly, there are now a fair number of high-gain amps available in AmpliTube: there are some Mesa models, the Powerball, the Satch and Dimebag stuff. Though I suppose it's always true that "too much is never enough"), what should actually be in Metal 2? (Other than, obviously, an updated Tube Screamer and HM-2! :mrgreen: ) Secondly, there are also now some other well-known amp-sim makers whose high-end high-gain models seem to have found a certain degree of favor in the metal community. Should "Metal 2" intend to take those on in the project-studio world? Or should "Metal 2" aimed at us hobbyists who prefer to drop USD 30 on an amp model instead of USD 100 or whatever?

Should there be some artist collections with younger guitar heroes? Brian May (and Dave Gilmour) are in their mid-70s; so is Iommi, for all that I would welcome an artist collection or just some "based on Laney" models. Slash (and Zakk Wylde) are in their mid-50s (not that I won't soon be there myself! :lol: ). I am not even sure who the younger guitar heroes are :? :lol: but there must be a few. :mrgreen: (Everyone I think is younger actually turns out to be older .... :lol: )

Oh well. Certainly more gear models should continue to roll out, and it would certainly be nice if some of the older models that have not yet been refreshed were refreshed. I think improvements to the interface and enhancements of the routing etc. capabilities would be appreciated. I think more searchable and manageable presets would be a bonus, especially to new user (though increased integration of the AmpliTube interface and Custom Shop functionality is a welcome step in that direction).
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby carlaz » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:59 pm

squeezenor wrote:it does get a bit difficult to parse. some folks want super leads and super basses and bluesbreakers and 45/100s and the pa things and some people are fine with just the 20 watt pink taco model. i just wish the "generic" models were a little clearer about what they were based on so you know what to use them for, but they are good and i'm not really complaining otherwise. the red pig is red, so there is that. but i'm not sure there's another marshall major model out there. i'm also not sure how different the major is than a plexi, real or imagined.

Well, the PDF manuals and the Custom Shop are usually pretty explicit about what a given model is based on (when it is based on something specific). The Red Pig, for example, is described as "Based on Marshall® Major™ head", while the JH Gold is "Based on Marshall® JTM45™". OK, sure, the British Lead S100 is actually described as "Based on Marshall® 1959 JTM100™ Super Lead", though it's really an update of a model from the original Hendrix collection -- from 2007? -- and it's perhaps not quite as cool a model of a Superlead as the JH Gold is of an actual Hendix-modded JTM45/100. Also, I'm just nerdy about Marshall variants. :ugeek:

squeezenor wrote:you bring up something else i try to keep in mind regarding who is "most accurate" or the "best"; everyone is basing their model off of something different. after 50 years of wear and tear, none of them sound as they did when they left the factory. and the standard for what those amps are supposed to sound like was set decades ago with a bunch of studio gear involved.

You are absolutely right, and this is absolutely true. Even a modern artist in a modern studio with relatively new or recent gear .... well, you only have to watch a few YouTube videos of recording engineers trying to mic up a cab to realize that even in a relatively recent cab with 4 speakers of the same model, each of those speakers may actually sound different!

Even artists have difficulty replicating their recorded tones if they have to go to a different studio for overdubs or something, etc. I think this is part of what made high-amp hardware amp sims popular with touring musicians (not naming any brands of those, but we all know what the biggest names there are): you can consistently pump the same tones out to the PA (even if you are still at the mercy of the PA and the venue's acoustics -- but that's the live-sound guy's job).

squeezenor wrote:i doubt they could do an artist collection without that person's (estate) participating

To be sure. I was just trying to say that they could model a given manufacturer's signature gear for a specific artist as long as they didn't reference the manufacturer (no logos) or the artist (no names). Obviously, though, there's not much commercial reason to do that, since the manufacturer's and are artist's name are the things that would be expected to drive sales, no matter how lovely the model.

squeezenor wrote:i'm not sure how they go about it. every artist collection has at least a couple of amps. it might not be worth it otherwise. even brian may got two (which made sense). slash got two that are pretty similar, but that's also defensible. with guys like rhoads or gilmour or wylde, they might have to think for a bit to come up with second and third amps, unless they don't mind a second version of something that already exists, and we already know that they don't. :D

It's a good point that I hadn't thought about: all the artist collections have at least two amps, no? Neither Randy Rhoads nor Zakk Wylde have complicated rigs -- at best, Zakk has used different versions of fairly similar gear when he received or changed artist endorsements from manufacturers. (I think even his "own-brand" amps that were planned -- but seem to have evaporated -- were basically JCM800 clones.) On the other hand, Gilmour may have barely more than one amp, but the array of pedals and rack effects would be enough to swamp the AmpliTube 5 menu system UI! :lol: That said, IKM could probably release a digital model of Gilmour's orange-juice squeezer and the fans would come out for it! :lol: There are a lot of guitar-playing (or at least guitar-owning!) Gilmour fans out there ....

squeezenor wrote:i've never been an artist tone chaser so i don't have many feelings on the matter; the only thing i care about in the artist collections is the gear. aside from a few oversights like laney/iommi, i can't really think of much that isn't already in there somewhere.

Again, I am very much agreed. I have eventually ended up with all the various artist collections (so far), but I've never been trying to sound like any of those artists. But there are probably a least a models from almost every artist collection that I use for my own purposes. Also, it is interesting just to flip through the artist presets and see how things work, and I very much enjoy checking out the "bonus" artist presets that have recently come through the IK Product Manager. These often use gear models from outside of the given artist's own AmpliTube collection (if they have one). I mean, I'm not a huge Satriani or Slash fan, as such, but those guys certainly know their business, and I learn something by seeing what they've done presets they create with sometimes fairly random AmpliTube stuff. :ugeek:

squeezenor wrote:they're going to have to get creative to fluff up amplitube 6 max.
orange/vox/laney/hiwatt/matchless collections wouldn't hurt. if they can't swing that, maybe a second metal collection, based on more genre specific amps or uncommon cult favorites like sunn, matamp, marshall valvestate, randall, framus, peavey.

Well, one thing that guitarists everywhere have proven again and again is that they can never have too much gear :lol: so more and newer models of everything are always going to be attractive.

That said, I think the main challenge for AmpliTube is that which perhaps exists for all makers of modeled analog plugins: certainly in the last decade or so, the quality of amp sims has got so good that we have long since passed the point where it matters to the average listener (AC/DC notably used AmpliTube 2 for some things on Black Ice, released back in 2008!) and increasingly even to all but the pickiest players who've had the luxury to indulge in the subtleties of real amps for year (without losing their hearing! :lol: ). There are even free amp sims out there that you can pair with free IRs and, at least for certain tones, they are pretty good!

So: where does any amp sim maker go in the future?

Leaving aside the "more gear!" thing :roll: I think another important issue is going to be about the usability of the software. One thing that AmpliTube has in its favor is that it has a fair number of gear options, and you can change them in and out fairly quickly if you know what you are doing. That's a huge advantage if you are messing around and looking for just the tone you need for this song or this mix or whatever. The danger is that it can obviously be overwhelming to newcomers -- just as being ushered into a studio full of pedals, amps, cabinets, mic, and rack gear while being told to set up what they need to get the tone they want would be. :shock: I think better ways to help users search, try, and organize presets will be key here. And that's a usability and perhaps UI issue, and not so much a technical (or modelling) issue.

Possibly AmpliTube 6 should have at least interoperability of presets between the iOS and desktop versions. THe current lack of that interoperability seems to confuse and dismay customers. I do presume Apple will eventually merge iOS and macOS, regardless of what they claim, and I presume the M1 etc. chips are steps towards that, though I don't know how long it will take.

Obviously, it's more fun to think about gear collections than usability, though. :lol: I wonder if a "Metal 2" collection might not be a double-edged sword? Firstly, there are now a fair number of high-gain amps available in AmpliTube: there are some Mesa models, the Powerball, the Satch and Dimebag stuff. Though I suppose it's always true that "too much is never enough"), what should actually be in Metal 2? (Other than, obviously, an updated Tube Screamer and HM-2! :mrgreen: ) Secondly, there are also now some other well-known amp-sim makers whose high-end high-gain models seem to have found a certain degree of favor in the metal community. Should "Metal 2" intend to take those on in the project-studio world? Or should "Metal 2" aimed at us hobbyists who prefer to drop USD 30 on an amp model instead of USD 100 or whatever?

Should there be some artist collections with younger guitar heroes? Brian May (and Dave Gilmour) are in their mid-70s; so is Iommi, for all that I would welcome an artist collection or just some "based on Laney" models. Slash (and Zakk Wylde) are in their mid-50s (not that I won't soon be there myself! :lol: ). I am not even sure who the younger guitar heroes are :? :lol: but there must be a few. :mrgreen: (Everyone I think is younger actually turns out to be older .... :lol: )

Oh well. Certainly more gear models should continue to roll out, and it would certainly be nice if some of the older models that have not yet been refreshed were refreshed. I think improvements to the interface and enhancements of the routing etc. capabilities would be appreciated. I think more searchable and manageable presets would be a bonus, especially to new user (though increased integration of the AmpliTube interface and Custom Shop functionality is a welcome step in that direction).[/quote]
--
carlaz
1K Club

PreviousNext

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling