3.5 Max Installation Woes

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

3.5 Max Installation Woes

Postby wattssongs » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:42 am

Happy New Year. I hope that you, and yours, are all safe and healthy.

I (think) I have done all install steps, as per IK's instructions. My "hope" is to install the Large amounts of data (mainly sounds) on an external drive, as the entire total3.5max data won't fit on, what's left of my C drive.
After loading the ST4, as 'normal' on my C drive, I took the steps to have the sounds routed to the external. Well, they did.
However, a lot of the downloads, also loaded to the standard documents folders on the C drive, as well.

I have two questions;
What should I do, to prevent the double loading in two different locations?
Is it "normal" for the downloaded folders, to remain as zipped files, or can they be deleted, once the product manager says they are installed and authorized?

Thanks for reading.
wattssongs

Re: 3.5 Max Installation Woes

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:17 pm

I guess that you are using the IK Product Manager ("IKPM").

In the IKPM you can specify the folder to be used for the downloads. And, before installing a Sounds library, you can specify the destination folder. Have a look at the IKPM User Manual for the details. Or here: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26365

A1: You do not have double loading. The files are downloaded to one location; these are then used by the installers to install the files into another location. After successful installation you can back up the downloaded files (to avoid the need to download them again) and remove them.

A2a: Yes, it is normal that they remain (One of the problems with a competitor's product was that it automatically deleted the downloads).

A2b Yes, after installation / authorization, the downloaded files can be deleted.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby wattssongs » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:41 am

Hey Dark Star.
Thanks, for the reply.

I 'must' be missing 'something' here.
Is there a way to get the download location, And the "final resting place", to be one-in-the-same?
Simply put, together in the the same folder? (because, they're not, ending up together) Yes. I downloaded/installed, via the manager. --Or-- Once downloaded, then installed, can I move the installed folders, from the default documents folder, and the have ST find/remember them, in their new location.
This, would solve my issue . . . completely.

My next task, will be to get ST4, to 'see' an old Phil Gould drums ST collection I have had, since the company was owned by cavemen. I found a post about installing older collections, but can't seem to get it to make sense . . . to me.

Stay well,
~wattssongs
wattssongs

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:27 pm

I guess that you can make them the same, but I would not recommend it. The hard drive head mechanism will be whizzing backwards and forwards as it reads from the download file and writes to the library. So it could take much longer.

In the IKPM you can select the folder to be used for the downloads. And when you want to download / install a sound library you can select the destination folder (I think that you will need to do that for each library). Check out the IKPM User Manual or the IKPM Tips thread in this forum.

Then, of course, add that destination folder to ST4's Preferences / sound Content list.

I do not know of the Phil Gould drums collection. Legacy sounds, in SampleTank 2 format cannot be Imported into SampleTank 4, you would need to use SampleTank 3 (you may have a copy in your User Area) then add the ST3 library path to ST4.

--------------------
Yes, after installing a sounds library, you can move the whole lot and change the path in ST4's Preferences.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby wattssongs » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:09 am

Thanks . . . . . . for now :oops:

Cheers!
wattssongs

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools