SampleTank 4 and external midi files

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

SampleTank 4 and external midi files

Postby tokenboomer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:41 pm

Hi. I have a GM drum groove that I wanted to use with a SampleTank 4 drum kit. I dragged the groove onto a Logic Pro instrument track. Loaded the kit. Hit playback. Nothing. Yet every other drum kit I have on my system responds to that groove. Is there some switch I need to throw or something?
tokenboomer

Re: SampleTank 4 and external midi files

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:35 pm

Check the MIDI channel of the notes and the MIDI channel for the drum instrument in ST4.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby tokenboomer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:30 pm

DarkStar wrote:Check the MIDI channel of the notes and the MIDI channel for the drum instrument in ST4.

Making sure they are on the same midi channel does not solve the problem. Is it possible that the kit in SampleTank is an set for an octave above or below GM?
tokenboomer

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:10 pm

I doubt it, but the names assigned to the notes in Logic Pro may be an octave above or below those in ST4. What happens if you transpose the notes in Logic Pro?

SampleTank notes start at C-2, I believe (and this is in line with many other software samplers, ROMplers and synths).
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby tokenboomer » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:52 pm

DarkStar wrote:I doubt it, but the names assigned to the notes in Logic Pro may be an octave above or below those in ST4. What happens if you transpose the notes in Logic Pro?

SampleTank notes start at C-2, I believe (and this is in line with many other software samplers, ROMplers and synths).

I did, sort of, solve the problem. A few years ago I took my extensive collection of GM drum midi files and dropped each one individually onto a a Logic Pro instrument track. I picked a logic drum kit and saved it as a green apple loop. My assumption was that I could preview a drum beat using these green apple loops that I had saved and, if I wanted to try a different kit to play the midi file, I would just replace the kit. The first time I tried this was with the Pop Kit in Sample Tank 4. As I reported earlier, this didn't work. It did work with Battery 4 but Battery 4 does not use the GM drum format so the sounds were somewhat random. It also did not work with Studio Drummer in Kontakt. Pretty confusing. So I then went back into the original GM drum midi files and dragged one of those onto the track and replaced the default Logic kit (Socal) with the SampleTank pop kit. Worked perfectly. So I have come to the conclusion that there is something in the process of creating a green Apple loop that causes it to default to the original instrument loaded on the track and exclude other choices after the fact. I'm currently trying to find out if there's a way of disabling this.
tokenboomer

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More