ARC3 stand-alone

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

ARC3 stand-alone

Postby Lophophora » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to use the correction as a stand-alone application ? I often listen to music outside of my DAW for referencing and obviously, this doesn't make sense if the reference I am listening to doesn't have the correction applied.
Music producer & Audio engineer
DAW Reaper / OS Windows 10 / AI RME Fireface UFX II
SoundWise Music Production
Lophophora

Re: ARC3 stand-alone

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi, using ARC for system audio is covered here: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1261
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Lophophora » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks for the speedy response. It's nice to know there is a workaround but 3 programs to install just for this sound like a lot of hassle.

Any plans to release a stand alone application on Windows by any chance?
Lophophora

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:21 pm

The request for built-in system-wide audio support has been relayed to the developers but I don't have any specific information on whether/when that would come to fruition.

It may look daunting but the setup for system-wide is not that bad. If you need assistance, our team or even other users here could likely assist.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Lophophora » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:33 pm

Ok noted, thanks!
Lophophora

Postby Masr » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:36 pm

Hi, I just attempted to follow the the approach suggested above but the Pedalboard 2 app is not available anymore. Is there any other software capable of similar things.
Thank you.
Masr

Postby Predtech7 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 am

Hello,
Same problem for me, Pedalboard 2 is not available anymore. And I'm not sure anyway that I want to go on this road with code from unknown/unreliable/amateur sources.

Please do a standalone version of ARC, it would be so much easier and reliable!

[mod redacted please review the rules, thank you]

I would gladly upgrade to ARC3 for this single feature.

Thanks
Predtech7

Postby davidb63 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:25 pm

Any updates on IK ACR 3 adding standalone feature?
davidb63

Postby daviskenn » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:18 pm

davidb63 wrote:Any updates on IK ACR 3 adding standalone feature?

DITTO
daviskenn

Postby kod1988 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:09 pm

+1!
kod1988

Postby poscimur » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:24 pm

Pleas make it stand-alone!!! As other users said, the tools for the workaround are not available anymore :-(
poscimur

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:15 pm

poscimur wrote:Pleas make it stand-alone!!! As other users said, the tools for the workaround are not available anymore :-(

I'm sure you can use ARC 3 for your system sound with available tools. If the tools in the FAQ are for some reason unavailable IK Support can assist you and they would be able to update the FAQ if that was the case.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby poscimur » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:49 pm

I'm sure you can use ARC 3 for your system sound with available tools. If the tools in the FAQ are for some reason unavailable IK Support can assist you and they would be able to update the FAQ if that was the case.

Thank you for the Reply. I'm not sure If I understand you right. Will the IK Support update this thread? Or where can I find the updated FAQ. Since many people seem to have the problem.

Best
Matthias
poscimur

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:50 pm

poscimur wrote:

Thank you for the Reply. I'm not sure If I understand you right. Will the IK Support update this thread? Or where can I find the updated FAQ. Since many people seem to have the problem.

Best
Matthias

If the tools they posted in the FAQ are no longer available they would update the FAQ. This forum is not a support forum so they would not update this thread.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby slunnes » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:18 pm

Hello All, and apologies for explaining the obvious to those who know.

You can skip all this virtual cable stuff by performing a simple loopback on your audio interface, either virtual or wired. This makes your system audio available to the interface as an "external" output, which can be monitored in your DAW Session.

This works with all but the cheapest audio interfaces, most mid level interfaces have it built in nowadays. If it is built in, you will most likely find it in the control softare of your interface (f.ex. Motu CueMix, Rme Totalmix, Scarlett MixControl, UAD Console,...) Just google "your specific model loopback"

In case you don't have built-in LB, you can easily use a pair of spare digital I/o and connect the output back to the input of the same type with a short (correctly spec'd for digital) bit of cable. (The spdif on rca type connectors, are f.ex a good choice, since they carry a stereo signal, and are often unused) This way you stay in the digital domain, and dont add two conversions to your monitoring path per default.

You then have to change the default system audio output, to whatever ports you will (f.ex. virtual 1 and 2 on UAD or spdif L and R in case of a wired LB) On mac you'd do this in the "Audio MIDI Setup>Configure Speakers, on windows somewhere in the audio device prefs.

Your interface will then see your system audio as external input, without any loss of quality or level.

In my daily use, I have a tiny logic project (every DAW will do) running which I call my "output section". It consists of 2 Stereo Auxes which act like input channels for my DJ Mixer (Line In 7 and 8) and my Mac Audio (Loopback 1 and 2) ((In this case I use auxes because I don't have to arm them, or worry about software monitoring settings, in any other DAW, Audio tracks will do, just don't forget to enable software monitoring.))

Those input channels then get summed to another stereo aux, which acts as my virtual master bus. This bus is routed to (1-2 mostly, or whatever it is in your setup) + a pre-fader send at 0dB to your headphone outputs. (in most interface they can be individually adressed by the DAW, look for something along the lines of "cue" or "HP")

Finally this enables you to put ARC on your "Speaker" output track, while having a dry copy of your Master Bus on your "Headphone" output track.

This section is the base of every session I work on, where a third stereo aux called MIXBUS is added next to SYSTEM AUDIO and DJ MIXER. This is where all my mix tracks are getting sent to. In this way, I can on the fly solo between my mix and a reference on spotify and I have a fader at hand to level match.

Another advantage is thatall the audio is passing through your DAW at all times, which enables you to record your computer audio in a breeze.

Finally, this system always leaves you with a "uncorrected" version of the Master Bus, for bouncing (in logic you simply bounce the Headphone Out, in other DAW's you select the Master Bus and not the Stereo Output as bounce source).

Obviously, you can leave this mini logic session open in the background.
Yes that implies having open your DAW open at all times you want to have audio passing,
and yes, you will need to add this output section to older sessions, but all the audio you hear is corrected, you can easily reference between sources, and even your vinyl player, or other external output, is going to be monitored through ARC.

I hope this could be useful to anyone, the system has proven its use to me over many years.

Cheers
slunnes

Next

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools