V5 CPU Load ?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

V5 CPU Load ?

Postby brockkel » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:15 am

Has there been any testing done comparing cpu use of V5 to V4 ?
The previous versions have been fairly high in a daw, just wondering if there has been any improvement?

:geek:
brockkel

Re: V5 CPU Load ?

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:19 am

We do not have a gold release version so that information would not be available at this time.

Have you reported your CPU utilization in your DAW to IK Support? They should be able to help. I use AmpliTube 4 on varying machines (some with not so great specs) and it doesn't seem to be any worse than other plugins in my DAW.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby brockkel » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:37 am

Hi Peter

No, i have not made an issue of it yet, but for some reason even some IKM instruments like SampleTank and Modo Drum show a higher cpu usage than other plugins i have. I will contact customer support if it becomes a major problem, it's definitely not my computer.

brockkel

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:42 am

brockkel wrote:Hi Peter

No, i have not made an issue of it yet, but for some reason even some IKM instruments like SampleTank and Modo Drum show a higher cpu usage than other plugins i have. I will contact customer support if it becomes a major problem, it's definitely not my computer.

Cool, please do let them know if it becomes a major issue. MODO DRUM might be impacted by the more advanced instructions required for physical modeling (also why it requires AVX support) and overall certain effects in any of these product may have more resource impact. For example ConvoRoom in SampleTank is expected to use a good chunk of CPU since convolution reverb will typically be pretty heavy. The tapes and Leslie effects can also require a lot of your CPU to produce the quality of sound they do.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby brockkel » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:32 pm

Yes, you are right Peter, i sometimes forget that most presets usually have a combination of effects running and can add a significant load to system.

I would like to point out in regard to Amplitube, I have tried virtually every guitar sim that is out there and can't find anything that comes close. It may be my personal preference for sound but Amplitube has the most versatile and close to realistic sound out of them all.

I found it does take some patience and experimentation with all the different settings to acquire a really good sound, and there is a lot of them to try. But the presets are a good start to getting there and that's half the fun, to see what variations can be achieved.

Version 5 sounds like even better things await.

brockkel

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:10 pm

Thank you for the kind words! I have been an avid AmpliTube user for a very long time and this might be the most exciting update yet. I know it sounds crass and they're not my words but a colleague who tried AmpliTube 5 said that people "are going to **** themselves" when they get it. :)
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dlgebert » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:49 pm

Peter_IK wrote:I know it sounds crass and they're not my words but a colleague who tried AmpliTube 5 said that people "are going to **** themselves" when they get it. :)

Depends?

https://www.depend.com/en-us/

We probably should be proactive... :D

Dave
dlgebert

Postby xargxarg » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:41 am

Amplitube 5 version 5.1.1 is taking 67 - 75% of my CPU in Pro Tools. I am using the Leslie amp/speaker. Using the '57 Champ amp/speaker makes the CPU load drop to 37%. Amplitube 4 takes only 12%. With only one track in the session, the CPU is reaching 100% and the recording becomes distorted.

I have a Win 10, HP Z440 Workstation with Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 @ 3.5 GHz, and 64 GB Ram. Not the newest, but it usually works fine.

With Amplitube 5 using 67% of my CPU it is hard to get work done without running out of CPU. I wonder what to do.
xargxarg

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:15 am

xargxarg wrote:Amplitube 5 version 5.1.1 is taking 67 - 75% of my CPU in Pro Tools. I am using the Leslie amp/speaker. Using the '57 Champ amp/speaker makes the CPU load drop to 37%. Amplitube 4 takes only 12%. With only one track in the session, the CPU is reaching 100% and the recording becomes distorted.

I have a Win 10, HP Z440 Workstation with Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 @ 3.5 GHz, and 64 GB Ram. Not the newest, but it usually works fine.

With Amplitube 5 using 67% of my CPU it is hard to get work done without running out of CPU. I wonder what to do.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. That is not the expected behavior. Please open a ticket with IK Support and they will be able to assist you directly. Thank you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby AlfSiochi1 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:34 pm

I've had some issues with some SampleTank Instruments, or Lurssen Mastering, taking up a lot of CPU that sometimes you hear crackling and popping sounds. They can be severe crackling that these plugins become useless. I use Studio One Professional version 5, and I have been able to reduce the CPU load simply by turning off the low latency monitoring for instruments. Since I'm not really monitoring anything in response to some action I take in Lurssen, it doesn't matter there. Also, for SampleTank, I can't tell any delay between the time I press a key on the keyboard controller and when I hear the sound on my monitor speakers. I only have low latency monitoring turned on for audio recording and I set the buffer to 128.

Doing that one simple thing (turn off low latency monitoring for instruments) actually made these items usable. Also, for Lurssen, I only add it on the projects page for mastering.

For SampleTank, some instruments just take more CPU (e.g. Eletromagnetik Electric Grand). For those, you can always record the midi with some other stock piano in Studio One (if you find the popping sounds distracting), then change the instrument later, or perhaps do that last after you have printed any other tracks with lots of effects to audio to reduce the overall CPU to give SampleTank room.

There are work arounds, but I am definitely considering getting a new, more powerful computer.

My current specs - Lenovo Yoga 720-15IKB, windows 10, 16 GB Ram, 500 GB internal SSD, two 500 GB external SSD (USB 3.0). Alesis VI-61, Presonus FaderPort 8, Axe IO Solo, Studio One 5.4.2.
AlfSiochi1

Postby DarkStar » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:31 pm

... Closing the GUI may help in some cases, too.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby xargxarg » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:18 pm

AlfSiochi1 wrote:I've had some issues with some SampleTank Instruments, or Lurssen

Thanks for the tips, they sound like good ideas. Will have to look into the low latency monitoring, and the use of a different instrument to get the MIDI kbd track sounds like a smart move, too. I'm trying to record one track of Amplitube 5 with Leslie in Pro Tools, and I'm hoping a new computer can cure it. Even without leslie it splatters up at the Pro Tools system usage limit, at 96ksps.

Some of the new computers sound pretty good. I guess you want high single-core performance, since there is not much parallel processing done in a single track of Amplitube, which may be why my six-year-old Xeon CPU, which is good for parallel, doesn't seem to cut it. AMD is putting out some pretty fast chips now, too.

There is a thread about new PCs: The "today we build our studio pc" thread Gearspace.com https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/560019-quot-today-we-build-our-studio-pc-quot-thread-493.html that might help.
Last edited by xargxarg on Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xargxarg

Postby xargxarg » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:19 pm

DarkStar wrote:... Closing the GUI may help in some cases, too.

OK, will plan to try that. Thanks!
xargxarg

Postby AlfSiochi1 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:52 pm

xargxarg wrote:
Some of the new computers sound pretty good. I guess you want high single-core performance, since there is not much parallel processing done in a single track of Amplitube, which may be why my six-year-old Xeon CPU, which is good for parallel, doesn't seem to cut it. AMD is putting out some pretty fast chips now, too.

There is a thread about new PCs: The "today we build our studio pc" thread Gearspace.com https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/560019-quot-today-we-build-our-studio-pc-quot-thread-493.html that might help.

Thanks for the link to the thread. Very interesting. I had heard that if you have to pick between CPU speed and number of cores, go for the higher CPU speed. I don't know if any of the DAWs or plugins take advantage of parallel processing and multiple cores. It might be interesting if they went the route of GPUs and parallel processing, then you would also have to consider GPUs in your decision.

By the way, I have not had much trouble with Amplitube, but I like jazz and go with clean settings, probably reverb at most for effects, so not much in the way of CPU. Still, Amplitube 5 uses more CPU than my other plug ins, with the exception of SampleTank.

After recording a rhythm track with amplitube, I bounced it to an audio track (Studio One 5.4.2 lets you do it non-destructively, in the same track, so you can restore the original if you wanted to). That saved CPU for me, by 20 to 30%. I also found that mixbox seems to be lighter on the CPU than amplitube, and it has some nice amp/cab/fx settings.

I have no issues playing Amplitube in standalone mode, even with some of the presets that have many stomps, racks, and dual amps and cabs. I usually turn off anything on my laptop that could be working in the background and consuming CPU (One Drive sync is paused, Google Drive sync is paused, quit Amazon Music and Spotify, close browser tabs, etc.)
AlfSiochi1

Postby xargxarg » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:08 am

Yes, the standalone seems to work pretty well. Maybe I could fly a mixdown to Amplitube Standalone and record to that, to try to keep in sync. Not sure what the ramifications of that are yet.

I like your idea of parallel processing the audio. Could you imagine if you could use the GPU for that.
xargxarg

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling