Latency using Stealth Limiter/ Linear Phase EQ

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Latency using Stealth Limiter/ Linear Phase EQ

Postby MrFigg » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:01 pm

I just tried the T-Racks Stealth Limiter and Linear Phase EQ on my guitar. When I play a note into either one of them there's a delay before it's heard. I'm using Reason 12 with delay compensation on. If I just drag in the linear phase eq itself the DC stands at 0. If I first create an audio track and drag one on it reads 19. If I then load a preset it shoots up to 18451. Turning delay compensation off makes to difference.

The Stealth Limiter starts at 4995 on an audio track but that doesn't increase when presets are loaded.

I've tried it on drums and synths with the same result. Anybody got any idea what it could be that’s causing the latency? Is that normal behaviour for those two devices? No issues with any other T-Racks plugins.
MrFigg

Re: Latency using Stealth Limiter/ Linear Phase EQ

Postby garfy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:43 pm

Hello Mr Figg

Yes that's normal. Both of those modules use Look Ahead while processing and will impart a latency on the audio which is more noticeable if you are playing live through them.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby MrFigg » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:49 pm

garfy wrote:Hello Mr Figg

Yes that's normal. Both of those modules use Look Ahead while processing and will impart a latency on the audio which is more noticeable if you are playing live through them.

Aah right! Thanks. I just checked One and Master Match and they also introduce a slight latency. So basically all the mastering tools? Is it only the Linear Phase EQ which uses look ahead? None of the other EQs give me latency. I am not so clued up on these things. Guitarist. Plug in to a box and play.
MrFigg

Postby garfy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:17 pm

MrFigg wrote:Is it only the Linear Phase EQ which uses look ahead? None of the other EQs give me latency

All plugins have the potential to induce latency, tied in with your processor speed, efficacy of your AI driver etc. Your DAW will normally handle PDC during playback, but live monitoring inputs will be different.

The Linear Phase EQ imparts more latency if you actually engage the Linear Phase mode, as it has to do more calculations to keep phase coherence.
garfy

Postby MrFigg » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:26 pm

garfy wrote:
MrFigg wrote:Is it only the Linear Phase EQ which uses look ahead? None of the other EQs give me latency

All plugins have the potential to induce latency, tied in with your processor speed, efficacy of your AI driver etc. Your DAW will normally handle PDC during playback, but live monitoring inputs will be different.

The Linear Phase EQ imparts more latency if you actually engage the Linear Phase mode, as it has to do more calculations to keep phase coherence.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. I was just surprised at the latency being so noticeable. Guess that's one plugin I won't be getting any use out of in the near future. Now back to the Echoplex :)
MrFigg

Postby garfy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:35 pm

MrFigg wrote:Guess that's one plugin I won't be getting any use out of in the near future

Well, only if you're trying to play live through it. It's all good on playback/mixdown.
garfy

Postby MrFigg » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:10 pm

garfy wrote:
MrFigg wrote:Guess that's one plugin I won't be getting any use out of in the near future

Well, only if you're trying to play live through it. It's all good on playback/mixdown.

I thought that, but in playback I noticed the first note was missed. Also if I bypassed the device the latency was still present in the recording.
MrFigg

Postby garfy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:14 am

What DAW are you using?

This does not sound like expected behaviour, although sometimes a plugin that is bypassed is still using processor time you're just not hearing it.
garfy

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox