MixBox question

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

MixBox question

Postby chicagobears316 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:17 am

Hello,

I'm starting to dive into T-Racks more and I have all but about 5 of the processors. I started looking at different items that are part of the group buy and am confused by MixBox.

It looks like T-Racks with a different presentation. I see a lot of the same processors with a display more like sampletank. Wondering if someone could explain the difference and the advantage of one over the other. Also on the mixbox page, do I see a mixbox DAW in the background?.

Also, for the purposes of the group buy, if I get mixbox and it has one of the processors I don't have in T-Racks, will it work and do I still need to buy it in T-Racks to use it in my DAW?
chicagobears316

Re: MixBox question

Postby garfy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:53 am

Hello chicagobears316

chicagobears316 wrote:It looks like T-Racks with a different presentation. I see a lot of the same processors with a display more like sampletank. Wondering if someone could explain the difference and the advantage of one over the other.

The processors in MixBox are based on those found in T-RackS, AmpliTube and SampleTank in a 500-series style GUI. Some have a reduced number of parameters compared to their TR/AT/ST siblings but the package gives you different choices of modules to create effects chains. You also have access to side-chaining and the ability to make up to 8 racks of 8 modules useful if you are mixing live sound.

chicagobears316 wrote:Also on the mixbox page, do I see a mixbox DAW in the background?.

No, there is no MixBox DAW. You may be seeing a row of 8 faders used to gain stage modules in a chain. The DAWs in the images are Cubase, Logic, Ableton etc.

chicagobears316 wrote:Also, for the purposes of the group buy, if I get mixbox and it has one of the processors I don't have in T-Racks, will it work and do I still need to buy it in T-Racks to use it in my DAW?

MixBox is a distinct and self-contained app separate from TR/AT/ST. Owning MixBox does not mean that the module then becomes available to you in those other apps. Likewise, if you do not own the TR5 version of the, for example, White 2A you will have access to the MixBox version in your DAW as part of a MixBox rack.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox