One Of These Days - inaugural "Lankin Schmidt" collab!

A friendly place to share your music and collaborate with other IK users. Show off your hard work here!

One Of These Days - inaugural "Lankin Schmidt" collab!

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi everyone!

This track is one of my latest, a continuation of the acoustic-based songs for 2021 but with some jazzy, bluesy and rock elements thrown in. After the song was pieced together, I was finally inspired to get out of my own sandbox and collaborate with another IK forum user - notably CrazySchmidt, as I envisioned that his voice would be the perfect fit for this song.

Thankfully, “cold-calling” CrazySchmidt to enlist his talents resulted in him getting on-board immediately and a super working relationship unfolded from there. I provided a “sketch” of vocals but wanted him to play around with them and he did a superb job in injecting his own style and vocal sensibilities and the song is much stronger for it. Despite a 16-hour difference in time zones, the process went very smoothly and what you have here is about 4 weeks of going back and forth….probably equal amounts of time actually tracking vox versus mix/production - as is typical! CrazySchmidt was more than a hired gun for vox as he contributed to mix and production ideas as well - and I’d be remiss if I didn’t give a shout out to a few others that provided feedback (my bud, Paul, as well as “Fatboy Dazza” and Dan Wilson from this forum - thanks, gents!).

Anyhow, enough babble, please listen to the track and would love to hear your feedback. I’m hoping this could be the launchpad for more to come!

IK stuff:
AT5 = bass (“Bass 1”); electric guitars (“Jazz”, “Pure Clean”, variations of “Who IS” presets)
MODO Drum = Studio kit
Hammond B-3X = various presets
TR5 = White 2A, MixBox, CSR Room, Sunset Sound (Live & Chamber), Stealth Limiter
Lurssen Console = mastering

Thanks,
Michael

mklankin@hotmail.com

Re: One Of These Days - inaugural "Lankin Schmidt" collab!

Postby CrazySchmidt » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:42 am

Hey Michael,

What an absolute pleasure and an honor it was to work with you on this track, it only took me to the first chorus through the first listen to know that it would be something that I would love to be involved with and the final outcome is absolutely outstanding, well done my friend!! 8-)

Certainly a challenge for me to put my vocals to this as there is not a lot going on behind some of the vocals in spots, were with my own stuff, I'm used to having the support of a lot of crunchy guitar work going on to blend into, so the challenge was good for me.

I'm certainly looking forward to working on more with you in the near future. :D 8-)

Cheers, CS. :)
Please support Gondo Strauss at:
https://soundcloud.com/gondo-strauss/
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby danwilson5 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:40 am

Hi Micheal,

Nice song. The mix you did was outstanding. Thumbs up to both of you for taking the risk on collaborating and stepping out of your comfort zones. Looking forward to the next collaboration you both do.

Dan
danwilson5

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:06 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the kind words and your input on this one!

Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Return to The Jam Session