Hand-Me-Downs - no bass or bass??

A friendly place to share your music and collaborate with other IK users. Show off your hard work here!

Hand-Me-Downs - no bass or bass??

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Hey all,

This is a short song, one of the new ones I’ve been working on that’s more pared down and acoustic guitar oriented. Took a real crack at recording my acoustic “more properly” than just direct in (included a close and room mic, then blended).

Have a listen and a question, do you think bass guitar would necessarily add to the song, like when the drums kick in, or does the track stand on its own without? Feedback appreciated and hope you might enjoy.

IK Stuff:
MODO Drum - Studio kit
Philharmonik - cellos, piccolo
TR5 - Tape 80, Sunset Sound (live, chamber, ISO), CSR Inverse rev, Stealth Limiter
Lurssen Console

Back to the woodshed,
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Re: Hand-Me-Downs - no bass or bass??

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:01 pm

Sorry to see nobody chimed in here. Should be about the easiest thing to provide, an opinion :) To quote The Big Lebowski "Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man." which should also apply when taking mine with a grain of salt too.

On that note, I think bass would add something. Yes, when the drums kick in can be effective in adding something to the song but you might want o experiment with some bass leading in before the drums kick in. I'm not 100% sure that would work but sometimes it is worth experimenting as there are variables like what kind of bass part you create etc that would affect such a decision. But I do think it is worth trying and could add something to the song.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:28 pm

Thanks, Peter for the opinion! Much appreciated.

Will do, then, as well as play with introducing bass ahead of the drums...maybe can interplay with the classical instruments when they start in....if that doesn't 'fit' can alway kick bass in with the drums too.

I have a new bass on order so maybe when that comes in this'll be the first song I try it out on.

I'll repost when I have something.

Thanks and take care,
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby Darth_dB » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:18 am

A beautiful song, really nice!

Now, I can see I'm perhaps a bit late to the party, still -

since you've already recorded the drums, by all means - try adding the bass as well. Usually, it's the winning combination :)

On the other hand - how does this song sound without any drums at all? The way I hear it, it should be great :lol: Or maybe you could make the drums more low-key, or use some other kind of percussion? Then you could also try adding some bass :) Or, you could just have the piano play in the bass register, especially if you would go without the drums... :) I can see where you are going with the up-lift, I'm just offering some alternative ideas. :)

But, you've probably finished the song by now anyway :)

Bye,
Peter :D
Darth_dB

Postby CrazySchmidt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:29 am

Hey Michael,

Sorry for turning up so late to the party, but I did bring the expensive bourbon!! :lol:

Yeah man, bass definitely, I kept waiting for it but it never arrived.

Funny thing is I was listening along thinking to myself, I can hear strings coming in here but where are they then next minute, strings, same thing for the bass.

I demand a rework with the bass, you can do it, you operate at the pace of a Cheetah!! :lol: 8-)

Cheers, CS. :)
Please support Gondo Strauss at:
https://soundcloud.com/gondo-strauss/
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:49 am

Okay, CS, challenge accepted.

I’ve recorded bass + took the opportunity to add a bit of piano and then remastered.

Bass - AT5 using a Trace Elliot rig
Piano - ST4 using the C7 Grand Cinematic 1 piano again, love it

Hope this does the trick better than before and is still upbeat. Lemme know!

Take care
Michael

mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby CrazySchmidt » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:22 am

That's an improvement my friend, to my ears at least, the bass definitely adds value and really helps with the overall melody!! 8-)

Not 100% sure about the piano though, maybe some sort of chord arrangement instead of the singular notes approach would sound more fitting, either way nice improvement!! :) 8-)

The remix/remaster is a notable improvement also, nice work. ;)

Cheers, CS :)
Please support Gondo Strauss at:
https://soundcloud.com/gondo-strauss/
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:27 pm

Hey CS,

On a few more listens, I agree. When I put in the piano over the piccolo lead I think there’s too much melody going on, detracting from the piccolo lead + I also dropped the acoustic guitar in that section (WHAT! Less guitar?? - crazy! :o ). So, thanks for that f/b and I’ve remixed putting the acoustic guitar over the piccolo lead again and saved piano for after that. I still think the piano is well-placed at the end of the track.

Hopefully that puts a bow on this track until I get the gumption to redo the vox entirely.

Thanks, man, for the adept ear & the quick f/b as well as the others who chimed in on this song...many thanks! :D
Michael

mklankin@hotmail.com

Re: Hand-Me-Downs - trying FAME out.

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:15 pm

Hi all,

So, last time mixing/mastering this, now including some of the new FAME studio reverb options that just came available:
Vox - Studio B “slapback” setting
Acoustic Guitar - Studio A “vox/gtr” setting
Piccolo & Piano - Plate, 1.5s
Drums - Studio A - “drums” setting

I’ve had to remove the first two versions of this song off SoundCloud as I’ve maxed out my free upload limit.

Hope this is the best of the bunch anyhow.
Michael

mklankin@hotmail.com

Return to The Jam Session