iLoud MTM high pitched hiss (louder on one monitor)

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

Re: iLoud MTM high pitched hiss (louder on one monitor)

Postby fhagglund » Sun May 23, 2021 8:44 am

Same issue here. Bummer, since they sound amazing.

Received a white MTM pair fresh from Modena 3 days ago. Both speakers have a high pitched coil whine emanating from the rear, marginally louder on one. It's like instant tinnitus, quite distracting. I have the same on my Belkin Boost charging station when nothing is charging. When you power the MTMs off, the pitch slowly rises to dog whistle frequency over the course of 2.5 seconds, then silence. Never saw this mentioned in the several YouTube reviews I watched, but then again they were all done by Americans who live in a 120 volt universe. We have 240v in Sweden.

Updating to the latest firmware made no difference. Not sure what to do here? Returning them for replacements seems hit and miss, as 2 out of 2 speakers I received have this issue, and I'm guessing nobody in the warehouse is going to plug in and test replacement units until they find two hiss-free ones...?
fhagglund

Postby Peter_IK » Sun May 23, 2021 10:53 pm

The best thing to do is to work with IK Support as this forum is not meant for direct technical support and the mods/admins (nor users) here can assist directly. But IK Support can as that is what they are there for. They will take you through any issue, and perform any warranty action if necessary, etc.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby TJVirtan74 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:16 am

Support's current view of this issue is that there is no issue.

They say that some tests have been done and that this noise/whine is not an issue in any normal usage. And, that it is not going to effect audio or performance of the unit.

I strongly disagree.

My opinion here is backed by a strong professional background and skills. I have over 20 years of experience designing, testing and evaluating electronics and embedded systems.

Maybe they have not tested a really bad one?

Their last suggestion was that I just keep working with the unit, give it a bit more time ... or keep exchanging speakers with the dealer.

But, I will still try continue to work with the support.
TJVirtan74

Postby Franctireur1940 » Wed May 26, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I think i found a solution, at least in my case. :mrgreen:
I got the hiss you were talking about.
I read a lot of reviews, audio science review for example, and they'd never talk about any hiss.
But i discovered that a lot of thoses reviews were american one, and you know what? they run their Iloud MTM on 110v.
And a lot of us, complaining of hiss live here in Europe or 220-240v countries.
So 2 days ago i bought a step down voltage converter for testing purposes...
Just tried it few minutes before writing this, and miracle: no hiss anymore at 110V!

P.S: i don't want to be responsible if it doesn't solve your own problem :roll: (anyway you still got 14 to 30 days refund if you choose the right dealer, so i think it is worth the try! )
Franctireur1940

Postby Sailor6666 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:34 pm

Hi!
I got my MTMs for a couple of days ago. I also have this high pitched hiss noise from both speakers. I did the firmware update but the same noise is there. Its really enoying. When listening to music on low volume I can hear the noise. I cant use those speakers for producing music with this noise. I'm from Sweden and running on 230 volt..

What to do?
Sailor6666

Postby Peter_IK » Wed May 26, 2021 10:38 pm

Please let support know. I already relayed this thread to them and also the workaround mentioned above but reporting it directly will be effective in letting them know you are also affected. Thank you!
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Sailor6666 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:56 pm

Ok. Thanks.
I've emailed them. Hope they have a sulotion.
Sailor6666

Postby tommijk » Fri May 28, 2021 12:17 pm

What is the status of this issue? Has it been located and fixed by the IK team, and are you safe to order the MTM's?
tommijk

Postby Lazarus451 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:59 am

I just received my refund from IK Multimedia. There was no fix for this, said IK support. Hopefully they'll update that part in the iLoud MTM manufacturing process. Reducing the voltages is one workaround but not a fix.
Lazarus451

Postby Franctireur1940 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:53 am

Hi Lazarus451,

That's a good news if they plan to update that part in their future process.
Anyway what is their schedule? if i buy a MTM in a year, how can i know it's a hiss/no hiss one?
a MTM v2?
Ik Multimedia must tell us ASAP.
Sure i can wait a bit, but not so much or i'll buy another brand.
Franctireur1940

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:16 pm

Franctireur1940 wrote:Hi Lazarus451,

That's a good news if they plan to update that part in their future process.
Anyway what is their schedule? if i buy a MTM in a year, how can i know it's a hiss/no hiss one?
a MTM v2?
Ik Multimedia must tell us ASAP.
Sure i can wait a bit, but not so much or i'll buy another brand.

If you need that specific technical information you'd want to ask the support team directly. This is a user-to-user forum with general announcements. The mods/admins of this forum would not have such information at hand.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Sailor6666 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:00 pm

Hello!

I can confirm that Franctireur1940:s work around, running them with 110 voltage, did work even for me.

I bought a couple of iLoud MTM:s that both had the high pitched noise when running them with 230 voltage in Sweden.

I first took them to an electronics workshop to try them with 110 voltage - and no noise.

I then bought a 230 to 110 voltage transformer my self and they now work like a charm.

Lars Johansson
Sailor6666

Postby Agladky13 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:44 pm

Franctireur1940 wrote:Hi everyone,

I think i found a solution, at least in my case. :mrgreen:
I got the hiss you were talking about.
I read a lot of reviews, audio science review for example, and they'd never talk about any hiss.
But i discovered that a lot of thoses reviews were american one, and you know what? they run their Iloud MTM on 110v.
And a lot of us, complaining of hiss live here in Europe or 220-240v countries.
So 2 days ago i bought a step down voltage converter for testing purposes...
Just tried it few minutes before writing this, and miracle: no hiss anymore at 110V!

P.S: i don't want to be responsible if it doesn't solve your own problem :roll: (anyway you still got 14 to 30 days refund if you choose the right dealer, so i think it is worth the try! )

Thanks! I'm absolutely in love with my MTM, but this high-pitched sound is driving me crazy.
But today I bought a step-down voltage converter from 220 to 110, and it helped me eliminate the noise. For the first time, I feel comfortable with my speakers. I'm so happy.
Agladky13

Postby gsilbers1 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:34 pm

got these like 3 weeks ago and this high pitch noise just started. its intermitent and sporadic.

very annoying.

is there a link for the firmware. does it work?

dont wanna play return the bad prodcut russian rulette if it keeps happening.
gsilbers1

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:43 pm

gsilbers1 wrote:got these like 3 weeks ago and this high pitch noise just started. its intermitent and sporadic.

very annoying.

is there a link for the firmware. does it work?

dont wanna play return the bad prodcut russian rulette if it keeps happening.

You should see a link to the firmware updaters in your IK User Area / IK Product Manager. If you need further assistance with any issue IK Support can assist you directly as the users, mods, and admins of this forum won't be able to assist as deeply with what you can do to resolve any issue,
Peter_IK
Kingpin

PreviousNext

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers