Official AmpliTube 5 GEAR (and presets) Wishlist

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Official AmpliTube 5 GEAR (and presets) Wishlist

Postby carlaz » Wed May 05, 2021 2:52 pm

stevehunt18 wrote:Another Treble Booster that isnt the Brian May one...

A model based on the Hornsby Skewes treble booster would be cool. The most commonly used iterations had silicon transistors instead of germanium, so that would be a contrast with any model based on a Rangemaster right there. :ugeek: Of course, I wouldn't turn down a model based on an Iommi-style modded Rangemaster, either. :mrgreen:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby n2mpujack » Wed May 05, 2021 5:50 pm

carlaz wrote:
stevehunt18 wrote:Another Treble Booster that isnt the Brian May one...

A model based on the Hornsby Skewes treble booster would be cool. The most commonly used iterations had silicon transistors instead of germanium, so that would be a contrast with any model based on a Rangemaster right there. :ugeek: Of course, I wouldn't turn down a model based on an Iommi-style modded Rangemaster, either. :mrgreen:

Never heard of the Skewes - who used one that I may know?
Jack
QAPLA!
OSX 10.13.6
PT 2021.6
n2mpujack

Postby carlaz » Wed May 05, 2021 6:16 pm

n2mpujack wrote:Never heard of the Skewes - who used one that I may know?

Well, I associate it principally with Martin Barre (Jethro Tull); it's prominent on earlier Tull albums and live recordings. I believe Richie Blackmore was also a Hornsby Skewes user in MkII-era Purple.

I think Barre used a stock Hornby Skewes treble booster (there are interviews in which he reminisces about its incredible noisiness and propensity for picking up local radio stations :lol: ), while I have heard Blackmore had his modded to let him dial in the amount of the effect (but I am not as familiar with Blackmore's gear, so that might not be true).

On the other, Rangemastery note, Iommi's original Rangemaster was understood to have been modded in some way, though it was lost decades ago (apparently a tech threw it out!), so no one knows for sure. Probably (I would guess) it was modded for a wider frequency boost. Apparently, Iommi acquired an Analogman Beano Boost, or a prototype for that pedal, at some point. More recently, I think the Laney TI-Boost pedal attempts to reverse engineer the vibe of the original modded Rangemaster, though it has added controls to give it a bit wider appeal.

IMO, treble boosters (of whatever kind) are a critical component of a lot of vintage "Brit" tones. The Rangemaster was probably the most common device, then perhaps the Hornby Skewes; other players achieve similar effects with the preamp of the EchoPlex tape machine (which is readily achieved with the SSTE model in AmpliTube), while Blackmore switched from the Hornby Skewes to an Aiwa tape machine used as a preamp. Things changed in the later '70s when you started to get master-volume amps, and then the modern types of overdrive/distortion pedals became more of a thing.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby t-fridge » Sun May 16, 2021 4:07 pm

I'm always amazed at the modeling technology of Amplitube 5.
I think it would be great if the BOSS OC-5(not OC-2,OC-3) is added to the next Amplitube 5 add-on pack!
Thank you.
t-fridge

Re: Official AmpliTube 5 FEATURES Wishlist

Postby darcman » Tue May 18, 2021 7:46 am

jessethompson56 wrote:I would love to see a modern worship presets pack. Yes, I know there is no worship style of music. I am referring to artists such as Jesus Culture, Hillsong, Bethel, and Elevation.

[mod edit: moved to the gear wishlist, will rename to clarify preset requests belong here too]

Please as above, I also use for this kind of music. It would be very helpful if you provide preset for worship music.
darcman

Postby Musical.Alchemy » Fri May 28, 2021 2:36 am

Would love to see more Classic Rock Collections.

Dave Gilmour
Steve Howe
Alex Lifeson
Tony Iommi
The late great Chris Squire
The late great Greg Lake
Geddy Lee

And John, George and Paul. Don't recall the band they were in but I heard they were pretty good.
Musical.Alchemy

Postby n2mpujack » Fri May 28, 2021 11:34 am

Musical.Alchemy wrote:Would love to see more Classic Rock Collections.

Dave Gilmour
Steve Howe
Alex Lifeson
Tony Iommi
The late great Chris Squire
The late great Greg Lake
Geddy Lee

And John, George and Paul. Don't recall the band they were in but I heard they were pretty good.

For Gilmour the amp(s) is easy - Hiwatt DR103. It's his effects that get complicated but start with a Binson Echorec, Digitech Whammy and go from there.

Lifeson gets a bit more complicated with amps. He's used Marshalls, Hughes & Kettner signature models which really were modified Coreblades and finally lerxst when his Marshall got too frail. I know for effects he used a wah.

Geddy Lee - what era? Early Geddy was amps and then he switched over to di's and straight into the PA bins.

Beatles weren't just Vox amps - they used a bunch of different Fender amps as well. Minimal effects as I recall.
Jack
QAPLA!
OSX 10.13.6
PT 2021.6
n2mpujack

Postby fiveblairs » Fri May 28, 2021 2:46 pm

n2mpujack wrote:...Beatles weren't just Vox amps - they used a bunch of different Fender amps as well. Minimal effects as I recall.

True, but it would be great if IK could model any of the following "odd-ball" Vox amps that were key to getting Beatles tones on the Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and "White" albums: UL4120, UL4120, Conqueror, and Defiant.

If the amps are too much of a challenge to acquire for modeling, IK could easily get the pedals designed to mimic these amplifiers sounds and model those instead: Aclam Doctor Robert, Castledine Magical Mystery Box, Jext Telez White Pedal, JHS The Crayon.
fiveblairs

Postby Musical.Alchemy » Fri May 28, 2021 9:01 pm

Yes, in particular Revolver which is a treasure trove of creativity and sounds.

I think if anyone could pull this it would be IK. And as I understand it, there are very few of these amps still around (Vox UL730). So it's really now or never.
Musical.Alchemy

Postby fiveblairs » Fri May 28, 2021 9:19 pm

fiveblairs wrote:...Beatles tones on the Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and "White" albums: UL4120, UL4120...

One of those was supposed to be UL730. :roll: :lol:
fiveblairs

Postby carlaz » Fri May 28, 2021 9:25 pm

n2mpujack wrote:For Gilmour the amp(s) is easy - Hiwatt DR103. It's his effects that get complicated but start with a Binson Echorec, Digitech Whammy and go from there.

I agree: The Hiwatt amp is pretty constant for Gilmour, but the pedals etc. vary a lot over the years. I'd say a Big Muff into the HiWatt is a significant (and perhaps constant?) component of the tone; the Big Muff sometimes has other drive pedals before or after in his rig, I think. AmpliTube "based on Big Muff" is the Big Pig stomp model, though it's been around a loooong time, and I feel like it could benefit from an upgrade. There are numerous, often noticely different, variants of the Big Muff, and it would be nice to have some of those -- perhaps as a single unit that could switch between some of the most common/famous variants.

It would be awesome if AmpliTube had an Echorec model -- IKM are Italian, the Echorec was Italian 8-) -- but, until then, I feel like one can get away with one of the other delay options. (I like the tape delays, even though the Binson's sound was a bit different.)

n2mpujack wrote:Beatles weren't just Vox amps - they used a bunch of different Fender amps as well. Minimal effects as I recall.

Though lots of studio cleverness; sometimes there were odd (by modern standards) mic'ing techniques, but also lots of things went "DI", straight into the desk (especially bass). I think the major component one would need here is possibly a "based on Geoff Emerick" plugin. :D

Getting back to the original post, I'd love to see an "Iommi bundle" (maybe Brian May can talk him into it! :mrgreen: ), though despite the often mystical reverence held for his tone, I think his rigs have usually been simpler than those of the other players mentioned. The early rigs are basically 100w Laneys and matching cabs (there's quibbling over which speakers) boosted with a modded Rangemaster. Laney has produced modern units that try to reproduce this, and Iommi has used those units live -- so that's likely to be close! The '90s/'00s Iommi tones were basically his signature modern Laneys (one model of which was very Powerball-ish) and matching cabs. And then there's that cool Tychobrahe Parapedal wah; that would be awesome. But ... that's about it! (OK, sure he used other things -- modded Marshalls in the early '80s; then maybe Mesas? Dunno. But it's the '70s tones that people lust after, though I think the "millenial" Iommi tones are also cool.) And, OK, one can approximate these tones in current AmpliTube with the JH Gold and the Brian May treble booster (and I think the Satch Green cab works well here, too), or a Powerball for modern tones, but ... a bunch of Laney models and another treble booster model would be cool, anyway. 8-)
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Fri May 28, 2021 10:15 pm

Let's keep it to the wishlist requests to keep the thread tidy, and please take a refresher on the rules including this which is prohibited:
Use of the IK forums for advertising other products.

And before the replies roll in, here's a quick reminder of something else also prohibited:

Discussion of forum moderation, including deleted or locked threads and/or comments. Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby n2mpujack » Fri May 28, 2021 10:52 pm

carlaz wrote:
n2mpujack wrote:For Gilmour the amp(s) is easy - Hiwatt DR103. It's his effects that get complicated but start with a Binson Echorec, Digitech Whammy and go from there.

I agree: The Hiwatt amp is pretty constant for Gilmour, but the pedals etc. vary a lot over the years. I'd say a Big Muff into the HiWatt is a significant (and perhaps constant?) component of the tone; the Big Muff sometimes has other drive pedals before or after in his rig, I think. AmpliTube "based on Big Muff" is the Big Pig stomp model, though it's been around a loooong time, and I feel like it could benefit from an upgrade. There are numerous, often noticely different, variants of the Big Muff, and it would be nice to have some of those -- perhaps as a single unit that could switch between some of the most common/famous variants.

It would be awesome if AmpliTube had an Echorec model -- IKM are Italian, the Echorec was Italian 8-) -- but, until then, I feel like one can get away with one of the other delay options. (I like the tape delays, even though the Binson's sound was a bit different.)

n2mpujack wrote:Beatles weren't just Vox amps - they used a bunch of different Fender amps as well. Minimal effects as I recall.

Though lots of studio cleverness; sometimes there were odd (by modern standards) mic'ing techniques, but also lots of things went "DI", straight into the desk (especially bass). I think the major component one would need here is possibly a "based on Geoff Emerick" plugin. :D

Getting back to the original post, I'd love to see an "Iommi bundle" (maybe Brian May can talk him into it! :mrgreen: ), though despite the often mystical reverence held for his tone, I think his rigs have usually been simpler than those of the other players mentioned. The early rigs are basically 100w Laneys and matching cabs (there's quibbling over which speakers) boosted with a modded Rangemaster. Laney has produced modern units that try to reproduce this, and Iommi has used those units live -- so that's likely to be close! The '90s/'00s Iommi tones were basically his signature modern Laneys (one model of which was very Powerball-ish) and matching cabs. And then there's that cool Tychobrahe Parapedal wah; that would be awesome. But ... that's about it! (OK, sure he used other things -- modded Marshalls in the early '80s; then maybe Mesas? Dunno. But it's the '70s tones that people lust after, though I think the "millenial" Iommi tones are also cool.) And, OK, one can approximate these tones in current AmpliTube with the JH Gold and the Brian May treble booster (and I think the Satch Green cab works well here, too), or a Powerball for modern tones, but ... a bunch of Laney models and another treble booster model would be cool, anyway. 8-)

It's hard to tell what Gilmour has in his rig with that switching matrix he has - just like the one Alex Lifeson uses although I think Alex's is more complicated. I seem to remember reading somewheres that David also used the 50 watt Hiwatt.

As to Alex I'd like to see a Hughes & Kettner amp like his modded Coreblade. I wonder what wah he uses?
Jack
QAPLA!
OSX 10.13.6
PT 2021.6
n2mpujack

Postby SargeStryker » Sat May 29, 2021 12:22 am

I'll add a request for two Seymour Duncan pedals, the Vapor Trail Analog Delay, and the La Super Rica Fuzz. I'd gladly be willing to supply my physical specimens to get those two added to AT, so long as I get them back. :lol:
SargeStryker

Postby carlaz » Sat May 29, 2021 12:41 am

n2mpujack wrote:It's hard to tell what Gilmour has in his rig with that switching matrix he has - just like the one Alex Lifeson uses although I think Alex's is more complicated. I seem to remember reading somewheres that David also used the 50 watt Hiwatt.

I’m very far from a Gilmour expert, though there are readily found websites out there from people who are Gilmour experts :lol: and there is extensive documentation and (at least what seems to be) very well-informed speculation on the bewildering variation in his gear over the years and decades. Yeah, I think he got some of those complicated Pete Cornish switching boards for live work. Probably impossible to duplicate in Amplitube even all the gear were modeled — though I do think one can do a pretty good approximation of Gilmour tones with what’s in AT5 if one is judicious about one’s choices and settings.

Still, Gilmour is a perennially popular and influential player, and its hard to imagine a package approximating or endorsed by hisself would not find some purchasers. I think the HiAmp remains pretty good; and updated Big Muff and an Echorec would do a lot. For my part, I’m not sure how critical the rotating speakers cabs (or modulation pedals) are to his core tone, but Amplitube has models for Leslies and the Electric Mistress, while Trve Gilmour Fans :mrgreen: would no doubt be thrilled if a model based on the Yamaha RA-200 were released!
--
carlaz
1K Club

PreviousNext

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling