Modo Drum and Apple M1 chip

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Modo Drum and Apple M1 chip

Postby pauldelpozo@gmail.com » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:55 am

Does anyone know a workaround or a timeline for an update to this error message?

Error: ModoDrum needs CPU with AVX
pauldelpozo@gmail.com

Re: Modo Drum and Apple M1 chip

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:10 pm

That means that your computer CPU does not support AVX instructions (which are used by MODO Drum).

But AVX instructions are specified for Intel and AMD processors, so I am confused.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions

I see that Apple Developer says:
Update Processor-Specific Vector Instructions
If your code includes instructions for the SSE, AVX, AVX2, or AVX512 units of Intel processors, update that code to support Apple silicon. The best alternative to processor-specific vector code is to use the Accelerate framework, which provides a vast library of vector operations optimized for all Mac computers. Accelerate leverages all available hardware of the current system to perform:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple_silicon/addressing_architectural_differences_in_your_macos_code

So, for a definitive answer, the best thing to do is check with Technical Support.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby garfy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:23 pm

That's a surprise to me as well :shock:

After a quick search (but not reading too deeply) it could be that the Rosetta 2 'layer' that is doing the translation doesn't support AVX, or it could be the chip itself because Apple have moved away from Intel onto their own chips and haven't got the patent for AVX.

I presume that this is something that IKM (and other manufacturers) are having to find a workaround/recode and why IK haven't confirmed support for M1 chips.

Watch this space I guess.

Edit: @DarkStar has added the official line. It pretty much looks like, until IK recode to Apple Silicon standards in an update, anything which requires AVX won't play nicely.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby garfy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:33 pm

And to be fair to IKM and all developers, Apple only released an M1 DTK in November 2020.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby dallon426 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:18 pm

I can confirm that this is still an issue. I cannot use the demo which is a shame because I am seriously considering buying it. Any idea on when this will work?
dallon426

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:18 pm

This is not a simple fix. M1 nor Rosetta 2 support AVX instructions which are required for MODO DRUM. It will not work at this time and the developers are looking into it but it is far from a simple fix.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:56 pm

MODO DRUM is M1 compatible. You should receive an email too if you are a registered MODO DRUM user, and there is a news item on our front page.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby BDCustom » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:54 pm

Great news, just installed the latest version and it's working (at least standalone, I did not test the plugin version).
Good job IK! 8-)
BDCustom

Postby Starplayer » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:27 pm

Just installed Modo Drums on my MacBook Air M1 (Logic Pro X). Unfortunately Modo Drums don't react to velocity changes. all sounds seem to play with constant dynamics. Anyone experienced the same?
Starplayer

Postby jockelundberg » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:09 pm

Peter_IK wrote:This is not a simple fix. M1 nor Rosetta 2 support AVX instructions which are required for MODO DRUM. It will not work at this time and the developers are looking into it but it is far from a simple fix.

What about the new intel 12th gen cpu:s that doesn’t support AVX-512?
I just ordered one so I guess this means I can’t use Modo drums anymore.
Does IK have plans to support the 12th gen CPU:s going forward?
jockelundberg

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:32 pm

jockelundberg wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:This is not a simple fix. M1 nor Rosetta 2 support AVX instructions which are required for MODO DRUM. It will not work at this time and the developers are looking into it but it is far from a simple fix.

You shouldn't have issues with modern CPUs from what I've seen but I don't have a 12th gen Intel CPU to check. I would recommend you confirm any of what you are asking about here with IK Support who can communicate with the testing team specifically about what you are asking. They would have much more information.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jockelundberg » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:11 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
jockelundberg wrote:

You shouldn't have issues with modern CPUs from what I've seen but I don't have a 12th gen Intel CPU to check. I would recommend you confirm any of what you are asking about here with IK Support who can communicate with the testing team specifically about what you are asking. They would have much more information.

I can confirm that the 12th gen doesnt supprt AVX-512 so that's a no go.
jockelundberg

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:51 pm

jockelundberg wrote:
I can confirm that the 12th gen doesnt supprt AVX-512 so that's a no go.

Have you tried MODO DRUM, though? If you have and have trouble (or if you want to verify 100% that there won't be any trouble) please consult IK Support for official help and information.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS