input on computer build, reactivation

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

input on computer build, reactivation

Postby chicagobears316 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:10 am

Several years ago I built a computer that was cutting edge at the time. It ran well, but it eventually crashed a day after I installed Sampletank3. After several weeks I installed some extra RAM I'd already purchased to upgrade from 12 to 24gb, reinstalled windows, as well as all of my IK stuff. Again one day after installing sampletank 3, it crashed and has been down for years since. I got a hard to upgrade as my main drive to greatly increase space and because the drive failed to boot after the second crash.

I'm looking to initially revive the desktop and install amplitube 5, miroslav 2, try sampletank 4, T-racks 5 etc.

I have 2 questions for the forum.

1) My build was a Gigabyte G1 assassin motherboard, 24 gb 1066 DDR3 RAM, , the processor was either a I7 970 or 980 extreme, and multiple SSD drives between 250 GB and 1TB. I had windows 7, but will probably go windows 8 or 10 this time. I just wanted to ensure that the build is not an issue and should last a generation or two for music products , and now would be the time to upgrade parts if needed. The old build is no longer top of the line, but should be adequate for everything else that I do in terms of video editing, gaming, streaming, etc. your thoughts?

2) many of my programs will require the reactivation credit, but I don't see info on how that works. Is it one time and everything works again? Is if for each program? Do I need it for each plugin individually?

thanks
chicagobears316

Re: input on computer build, reactivation

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:21 pm

A2) Each Serial Number issued allows up to 10 Authorizations. Just use the same serial numbers that you have and a new authorization will be done.

Download and run the IKPM (the iK Product Manager). set the Downloads folder (in the Settings) and, for the Sound Libraries the destination folder (in "More Options ...") and install the products. I would recommend doing one item at a time to avoid confusion.

If you Registered any instrument products more than 180 days ago, you will need to pay a Download Reactivation fee to make them all availalbe again for a further 180 days (the ikPM will tell you the status).

You can also see how many more activations you have for each product. And, after you have downloaded the sounds libraries, back them up somewhere to avoid the Download Reactivation fee.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby chicagobears316 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:48 pm

Nearly everything should be >180 days as the purchases for many of them were years ago. Is it one reactivation and everything is available? or 1 per item? And I might actually have a backup- would copying those to the rebuild work, or do they still need to be activated again?
chicagobears316

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:03 pm

Only one Reactivation is needed, covers all your libraries.

Yes, copying over existing libraries would work, if you understand what you're doing. New authorizations will still be needed (probably). But, depending on what hardware has changed, the old authorizations might be re-used.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby chicagobears316 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:14 am

Started the clean reinstallation of everything on the desktop today. Quick question. The software is being installed on a different drive (E:) than windows (C:). Which drive is best to store the VST files for optimum performance.

Also to follow up on the sounds downloads, it looks like I'm in luck. I found half of them on my laptop as copied over a in 2017, the other half failed in the copy over (partial downloads), but I think I found the installation files for them on my desktop old drives now that the desktop is up and running again so I should be able to access everything trying the reinstall now.

One more question so that I know what to reinstall, assuming I even have access to the older iterations...

Is there any benefit anyone has found to keeping Amplitube 3 or 4, TRacks 4, or sampletank 3 over the current versions? If not I'll likely only put the new stuff on the desktop.
--------------------------
update, new issue

Norton keeps blocking part of the install and uninstall, referring to the product manager as malicious. I didn't have these issues on the laptop, despite running the same software,. It will install product manager, but product manger keeps disconnecting so I can't install anything with it
chicagobears316

Postby DarkStar » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:22 am

Hmm,
I install the software (program and plug-ins) on the System disk and the Sounds Libraries on another disk. That way I back up the software with the OS regularly and do not waste time or space backing up unchanged sounds libraries. Having said that I have backed up the sounds libraries so that I do not need to download them again.

You will need "Amplitube 3 or 4, TRacks 4, or sampletank 3" if you want to open any of your DAW projects use those plug-ins, The current versions of those products Do NOT replace them in those projects.

--------------------
Generally it is better to raise a new issue on a new thread to minimise potential confusion in replies. Anyway, Norton Security does not object to IKPM here (although I did see a invalid Digital Signature alert from Norton when I first ran the IKPM. If it persists then please raise the problem with Technical Support.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby chicagobears316 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:00 am

I ended up putting in a ticket the same day as my last post, haven't heard back yet. Norton only objected to the installation file, but I was able to get around that and install it. When I open it on the desktop, every 2-5 seconds it gives me a pop-up that tells me I lost my connection (which is not true, and which only affects the desktop, the laptop runs fine at the same time). After a few tries I can log in, but it repeatedly interrupts my downloads, and I can't actually get anything to run (I think it is interrupting the auth for the desktop). This is a clean installation of windows on a new disk, so I'm not sure the issue. I have the same issue with reinstallation of the program.

I did get all of the sounds to install on the laptop. Now I just need to learn what to do with them since I never used sampletank after all of the issues I had in the past.
chicagobears316

Postby chicagobears316 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:05 am

Just an update, which I am thinking is the final update. I had an odd fateful thing that happened . I've not heard from support, but I got my new SSD and plugged it in and it took a while to get it to work right, but in the process I had 2 BSOD related to xeno7x64.sys. I looked into it, it's driver related for my network processor, so I found the final update for that (it's no longer supported with future updates) and as of right now I have yet to get things running, but product manager is not booting me out any further, so I don't expect any further issues.

So if others get the message, check your network drivers.
chicagobears316

Postby chicagobears316 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:50 am

on more install question. After doing some research, I saw a lot of sources recommending that sound libraries go on their own drive. Technically what's considered a sound library - sampletank, or the packs like cinematic percussion, or philharmonik? IS anything in amplitube or T-racks considered a sound library?
chicagobears316

Postby garfy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:27 am

Hi chicagobears316

The apps themselves (SampleTank, T-Racks, AmpliTube etc) are always best on the system drive so that the OS/DAW can access them.

The additional sound content is what, for some, is better on a separate drive. So apps like ST4, MP2, Syntronik etc will let you do that. There is no 'sound content' as such for the processing-style apps such as AT5 and TR5 etc so you won't be able to relocate that.

Benefits of having the sound content on a separate drive
1) it's a big chunk of data that doesn't drag your backup routine down if you do regular clones, Time Machines and the like
2) it means less read operations happening on the same drive as your system trying to read/write, especially if you are on a spinning platter. The arguments still continue about this with the advent of SSDs...YMMV.
3) If you use IK apps across different devices (I have a desktop as well as a laptop) you can just move the external depending on which machine you're working on.

Downsides
1) You will probably need to invest in some kind of powered hub to make sure all your externals and other peripherals run properly.
2) Extra cost of this and the additional drives
3) If you do go mobile, you'll need to be able to carry it all :D

I'm sure there's more. Hope that offers some insight.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby chicagobears316 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:44 pm

Just doublechecking, by the additional sound content for sampletank, you are talking the purchased add ons, not moving the default VSTs, etc over, correct?
chicagobears316

Postby garfy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:50 pm

chicagobears316 wrote:you are talking the purchased add ons, not moving the default VSTs, etc over, correct?

Correct, although I term it 'sound content' so that it covers the instruments, samples etc that are included with the initial installation, as well as anything purchased afterwards.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to General Discussions